1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most important criteria for CU's New Head Coach

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by boydbuff, Nov 26, 2012.

1. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

Love all these coaching profiles coming out on AB. I was wondering if we could discuss what we think the most important criteria Bohn should be using in the selection process. I'm sure (actually I hope) he doesn't really care what we think about who we should hire, but for us armchair ADs it's a fun exercise.

My personal list:
    -Division 1 HC experience (BCS preferred)
    -BCS Experience as position coach or coordinator
    -Coaching experience in the Pac 12 footprint (not required to have Pac 12 coaching experience)
    -Successful experience in a rebuilding effort
    -Nice if they have had some kind of connection with the state of Colorado in the past
    -Would be great if they have been at least on a coaching staff that has done a major fundraising campaign for facilities
    -Strong recruiting credentials

I am sure I missing some big ones and maybe you don't all agree with the ones I think are important.

2. Gramburglar

Gramburglar Literally has hundreds of dollars Club Member

I love all your points. I would add a defensive preference to the coach. I don't think a connection to Colorado (the state) is important, a Texas/California connection may be more important.

3. boydbuff

Thanks. I am unsure on that one too which is why I said nice to have. What I hate is the last 2-3 cycles of coaches have done a pisspoor job of recruiting in-state and building the fanbase in the state. But a good coach from outside of Colorado could do that if they made it a priority.

4. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

Haha, nice! I just posted a similar list in things we DON'T want in a coach.

The biggest red flags to me:
    -no experience as coordinator or head coach
    -no experience building program from essentially ground up
    -free spirit. Good in life, not as coach. We need discipline.
    -"up-and-coming" is okay for OC and DC, not HC
    -significant ethical issues. Doesn't work for boulder/admin. We need respected names.

The thing I disagree with is that they should have a footprint in the PAC 12 and Colorado. The biggest statement would be to bring in a well-respected SEC guy that will. Lure the best of the west coast and Colorado to play for the equivalent of an SEC staff, while being closer to home and playing familiar teams.

PS
    i don't think Colorado kids give **** if the coach has Colorado connections at this point. They may even prefer an outside hire since college football in Colorado has been such a joke for so long.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  5. DexBuffsteen

DexBuffsteen Well-Known Member

Easy access to hookers and blow?

6. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I don't think we should limit our search. Coaches can be successful from all types of backgrounds. We just need to find the right guy

7. Highlander27

Highlander27 Well-Known Member

Most important criteria. I think most would say experience after the last debacle. We can't have training wheels on the job this time and the OC negotiates between the box or sidelines, because he can't get comfortable in his new role vs his old one.

I think we need to marry up to NCAA 2012. We wont be getting the best athletes. Not to say we won't get our share, but we need to use the natural advantages of playing at altitude. We need to have an uptempo offense that attacks defenders for 60 minutes and gasses out the USC's of the world. We need to have a vision of a versatile defense that can attack, force turnovers and play in space. 3 of the biggest and best defenses this year are Alabama, Notre Dame, and Stanford. CU during it's time of dominance was a 3-4 team.

I don't necessarily need the biggest name. I need a guy with a vision who understands the land and can use it to his advantages while having some experience to fall back on in tough matchups.

8. boydbuff

Your anti-list is quite complementary to my pro list. I don't know though-I think having experience and relationships in Pac 12 territory (plus TX) would be quite valuable for recruiting especially. After all, I think no matter how strong their relationships are in SEC territory I don't think Colorado will ever be that successful recruiting SEC territory.

9. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

so your most important criteria is using altitude to our advantage?!?

nah, I follow you. the speed of play and gassing people thing sounds great, but it is more like a small aspect of the huge endeavor the next coach will have. I think it is negligible compadre to the other qualities necessary.

10. NYbuffDIEHARD

NYbuffDIEHARD Active Member

BCS Head Coaching Experience and oodles of it. I am looking at you Jeff Tedford and Jim Tressel. Football Gods, give us one of these two coaches please.

11. BinaryBuff

BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

My only criteria is that the guy we're looking at should be a consideration at Auburn or Cal or Tennessee or some of the other open positions. If they wouldn't even entertain the thought of hiring the guy we're talking about, then I have my concerns. This criteria would rule out a name like Logan and would have ruled out a name like Embree 2 years ago.

12. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Good cheater?

13. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

Agree with the list except bolded. Don't care about that...unless it's Les Miles :thumbsup:

14. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

Nice idea. I like it.

15. boydbuff

I like it too EXCEPT I assume none of the big time schools were looking at Boyle. But he was maybe a 1 in a million?

16. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Unfortunately yes just a little one though.