What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

My thoughts on yesterday's game

I don't think Cody was the problem yesterday. True, he missed a couple wide open receivers, but the O-line was pourous. I never expected to see Ryan Miller get schooled by a D-2 DE like that.

Seriously. He was having major problems all day long.

For better or worse, Cody is the QB. We need to put any talk of replacing him out of our collective minds. It's not going to happen this year, and probably not next year either.

I don't think Cody was the problem yesterday. True, he missed a couple wide open receivers, but the O-line was pourous. I never expected to see Ryan Miller get schooled by a D-2 DE like that.

I agree. Cody is the QB. Drop all of this about replacing him. Not going to happen barring injury.

Cody played badly yesterday. I know had alot of pressure all game long, but he did have some chances to makes some plays and he didn't get it done. The one that stands out to me was the overthrown reciever. That would've been a sure TD. His INT still baffles me. I can't believe he threw that ball.

I agree. Cody is the QB. Drop all of this about replacing him. Not going to happen barring injury.

Cody played badly yesterday. I know had alot of pressure all game long, but he did have some chances to makes some plays and he didn't get it done. The one that stands out to me was the overthrown reciever. That would've been a sure TD. His INT still baffles me. I can't believe he threw that ball.

The int was very strange. It was as if he decided where he was throwing that ball before the snap and nothing was going to change that.

It's hard to judge anything about the offense when the offensive line plays that poorly. If the qb is always either running for his life or checking down to outlet receivers and you are always in passing situations because your running plays are getting stuffed, the playcalling can look pretty awful.

On the other hand, if the playcalling is predictable and you are trying to beat a real team with about six plays, the o-line is going to have a hard time doing anything against a defensive line that knows what is coming. I'mnot sure how much you can add to your game plan in the middle of the game; if they haven't practiced it during the week, its hard to run it during the game. But maybe in the future we can not limit the game plan so much in the first place? I'm thinking that going the other way, and throwing the really fancy stuff at a 1-AA opponent would break their confidence and make our future opponents prepare for more things they might not even see, but hey.

So we are going to find out against WVU what kind of team we have, basically. Either the line had a bad game or they are just too green. I still think we are going to win 8 games, but I don't blame anyone who thinks I'm nuts. Just remember that EWU game a ranked TTU team a pretty good game too. And a lot of "cupcakes" scared a lot of BCS opponents, too.

Its nice to hear that Shaun Mohler didn't break his clavicle. As hard as he worked academically to get here it would really suck if his season ended after two games.

It's hard to judge anything about the offense when the offensive line plays that poorly. If the qb is always either running for his life or checking down to outlet receivers and you are always in passing situations because your running plays are getting stuffed, the playcalling can look pretty awful.

On the other hand, if the playcalling is predictable and you are trying to beat a real team with about six plays, the o-line is going to have a hard time doing anything against a defensive line that knows what is coming. I'mnot sure how much you can add to your game plan in the middle of the game; if they haven't practiced it during the week, its hard to run it during the game. But maybe in the future we can not limit the game plan so much in the first place? I'm thinking that going the other way, and throwing the really fancy stuff at a 1-AA opponent would break their confidence and make our future opponents prepare for more things they might not even see, but hey.

So we are going to find out against WVU what kind of team we have, basically. Either the line had a bad game or they are just too green. I still think we are going to win 8 games, but I don't blame anyone who thinks I'm nuts. Just remember that EWU game a ranked TTU team a pretty good game too. And a lot of "cupcakes" scared a lot of BCS opponents, too.

Its nice to hear that Shaun Mohler didn't break his clavicle. As hard as he worked academically to get here it would really suck if his season ended after two games.

Great points BR.

And there isn't anything official on Mohler that i'm aware of. The rumors i heard was a deep bruise.

Edit: found this in the BDC:
Mohler injured

Shaun Mohler was playing well Saturday all the way up to the point when he suffered a shoulder injury that required a hospital visit.

Mohler underwent a magnetic resonance imaging test Saturday night and what was originally believed to be a broken collarbone was diagnosed as a shoulder bruise.

Mohler tied cornerback Jalil Brown for the team lead in tackles with nine and also broke up two passes and forced another bad throw with a quarterback hurry.

He is listed as day-to-day

Last edited:
One other thing i forgot to mention was the horrible condition the field was in. It seemed like everyone on the field was trying to replace the chunks of grass that got tore out.

One other thing i forgot to mention was the horrible condition the field was in. It seemed like everyone on the field was trying to replace the chunks of grass that got tore out.

they said a fox had chunked it up.

i have to ask about the tackle at the end of the 4th quarter. did cu get away with a horse collar in this one? their announcers were very homerish and several times retracted their first (penalty thirsty) statements.

on the horse collar, they said yes, then sorta - he had him by the shoulder pads. was it in the back? was it in fact a horsecollar? or just a tackle at a key moment?

Definitely. There were some major chunks sticking up at the end of the game.

on the horse collar, they said yes, then sorta - he had him by the shoulder pads. was it in the back? was it in fact a horsecollar? or just a tackle at a key moment?

It's not enough to just grab the back of the pads. You also have to immediately bring them down for it to be a penalty. I was listening to the radio too, so I have no idea.

It's not enough to just grab the back of the pads. You also have to immediately bring them down for it to be a penalty. I was listening to the radio too, so I have no idea.

yeah. it would be great to get a perspective on this from someone who saw.

if the playcalling is predictable and you are trying to beat a real team with about six plays, the o-line is going to have a hard time doing anything against a defensive line that knows what is coming.

Yes our O-line got owned. However, my concern from watching this game, and somewhat from the CSU game, is that the all-shotgun formation scheme creates real trouble for the running game.

When Cody hands the ball off, the tailback is basically standing still, about 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Even if the O-Line blocks the defensive line well, the opposing linebackers usually find it easy to plug the holes and tackle the runner, because they just have more time to fill the gaps.

When Rodney or Darell did make a good run, it was usually something they did without a clean hole or lane to run in. Our running backs are too good to be getting tackled for losses or no gain to often - and we do have beef on the line. The coaches need to tinker with this scheme. I don't believe the offense would have to change dramatically for them to have the quarterback line up under center at least 50% of the time, and be able to hand off to a running back heading downhill and already at half-speed when getting the ball. We could still have the same signalling scheme, pass routes, etc.

Just a thought.

Yes our O-line got owned. However, my concern from watching this game, and somewhat from the CSU game, is that the all-shotgun formation scheme creates real trouble for the running game.

When Cody hands the ball off, the tailback is basically standing still, about 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Even if the O-Line blocks the defensive line well, the opposing linebackers usually find it easy to plug the holes and tackle the runner, because they just have more time to fill the gaps.

When Rodney or Darell did make a good run, it was usually something they did without a clean hole or lane to run in. Our running backs are too good to be getting tackled for losses or no gain to often - and we do have beef on the line. The coaches need to tinker with this scheme. I don't believe the offense would have to change dramatically for them to have the quarterback line up under center at least 50% of the time, and be able to hand off to a running back heading downhill and already at half-speed when getting the ball. We could still have the same signalling scheme, pass routes, etc.

Just a thought.

All good points. But you can have a good running game in this offense. We just need some kind of effort up front. It's true that DScott and RStewart did make some runs out of nothing. But our line did give them something to work with. Even if we ran from under the center, when your line doesn't block, the entire offense struggles. We have a very young line. Hopefully they gel real soon.

I don't get to see the games, living in Phoenix, but reading the posts and the stats... There are ways to slow down a pass rush, and I'd think Cody is ideally suited to dumps over the middle, screens, etc. So I agree this lies squarely on the coaches for game planning, and their ability to adjust to what is actually happening on the field. The most diappointing quote I read was Miller talking about how fast their 1AA d-line is.

Just a thought.

some really good points. i bolded something that hit home.

Hawk is really known in CFB for changing his schemes up alot. Look at last year. OU didn't know wtf to do when we lined up in crazy formations. We showed TTU different formations as well. I actually wish they'd think about going back to that every now and then. But my trust is in Hawk. I know that no coach in CFB will underestimate his knowledge and ability. Like Leash said above, maybe this was the hiccup of the season.

A parting shot by EWU DB Ryan Kelley:

"They got desperate and they got lucky," Eagles defensive back Ryan Kelley insisted after the Buffs rallied from a 21-7 halftime hole to stave off the upset.

"I don't like to talk bad about teams, but they aren't going to get far in the Big 12," Kelley suggested. "They aren't playing like a Big 12 team. They're playing like a Big Sky team."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2008163520_small07.html

Hawk is really known in CFB for changing his schemes up alot. Look at last year. OU didn't know wtf to do when we lined up in crazy formations. We showed TTU different formations as well. I actually wish they'd think about going back to that every now and then. But my trust is in Hawk. I know that no coach in CFB will underestimate his knowledge and ability. Like Leash said above, maybe this was the hiccup of the season.

Yeah - we did look great at times, although we were certainly inconsistent. I think it was vs. FSU, we kept passing deep, just throwing up jump balls almost. Later in the season, we seemed to pass a lot smarter.

We also kept going back to plays that never made sense, and it took forever to stop running them. Case in point was Cody going in motion to line up at receiver.

I think we will work some stuff out and get better on the line and in the rushing game. But we have about 9 practices to get there before hitting the tough part of the schedule.

"They got desperate and they got lucky," Eagles defensive back Ryan Kelley insisted after the Buffs rallied from a 21-7 halftime hole to stave off the upset.

"I don't like to talk bad about teams, but they aren't going to get far in the Big 12," Kelley suggested. "They aren't playing like a Big 12 team. They're playing like a Big Sky team."

yeah, that is the quote that prompted my observation that i don't like to see kids hurting, BUT someone should break their foot off in his hind end anyway.

the buffs have to war the next few weeks. i do not think it is hopeless. i think 6 wins would be disappointing, 8 would be fabulous!

Lame......every successful team has tough game during the year. Tell Kelly to go and F himself....The key now is the next game against a GOOD team....

What a douche. Hey, moron, you lost.

He was probably the same one who was taunting the crowd earlier in the game.

That's why you play all 4 quarters...

What a douche. Hey, moron, you lost.

He was probably the same one who was taunting the crowd earlier in the game.

That's why you play all 4 quarters...

i was entertaining the idea that he could well have beem when you passed on that tidbit. their announcers did not advertise the taunting.

and i totally was one with the thought that there are a full 60 in any game. if they wanted to tie it up, they needed to not throw to someone in a black jersey.

horsecollar be damned, it was the pick that killed them.

That's the big question and how tough will it be if and when Hawk needs to replace Cody. :fragez:

I have been one of the first to defend Cody for the past year but am beginning to waver. I don't have a problem with his decisions, arm strength or leadership. I have a problem with his height. How many passes have we completed in the middle of the field from 5 - 15 yards? I don't think he can see that area and the defenses are figuring that out. Slants and TE 5 - 7 yard drags would have been huge yesterday but I don't think he can see those routes to hit the receiver.

Just a thought, but I'm pretty sure that Chase Daniel and Todd Reesing are of similar size.

Back