What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA 2024 Tourney game thread - #10 seed MEN's Bball - 1st round game vs. #7 seed Florida (In Indianapolis; Friday, 3/22, 2:30 PM MT; TBS)

The non-working whistle was part of it (there is a 2nd story on Clayton, if you scroll down. He scored their last 16 - hell of a player):

As I've told a few of their fans (some of whom make bugeater fans look normal), the only thing worse than the officiating in that game yesterday was Florida's defense.

One more win. This is the last year of this cycle. Time to raise the ceiling. Too bad CU is cursed and something sad and awful will happen to prevent that. Marquette gonna turn us over 30 times
We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

My youngest sent me some still shots of KJ’s shot. Two things: he never extended his arm and he never made contact with the guy’s chest. The guy was anticipating a drive and was leaning back to begin with and more or less fell back on his own.

View attachment 70670View attachment 70669
View attachment 70668
Yea he didn’t extend at all. Funniest thing is all the Florida brass acting like all the calls went against them. This is the headline on Floridas website.

Attachments

• IMG_1418.png
    IMG_1418.png
    268.5 KB · Views: 45
Yea he didn’t extend at all. Funniest thing is all the Florida brass acting like all the calls went against them. This is the headline on Floridas website.
I've told a few of them that some of the fouls they got were the result of the officials' surprise that they actually tried to play defense.

Florida was literally the worst defensive team I've sat and watched in probably 5 years.

The non-working whistle was part of it (there is a 2nd story on Clayton, if you scroll down. He scored their last 16 - hell of a player):

Sure thing, golden bitch. Sure, KJ created seven feet of separation. Iif Tad threw a temper tantrum with every bad call your way you would have won.

I liked this comment:

Yep, it was a ****ty seeding.
Hilarious to hear our opponents complain about our seeding after weeks of being told that we don't even deserve a bid. Florida had the advantage of extra prep and rest and still lost. We have never been given the benefit of the doubt despite our top 25 NET and Kenpom. Until they actually have to play us.

ESPN Top Headlines for Saturday. Is this really the game narrative they want to push? After looking at the replays KJ was correct.

1711214550674.png

Just rewatched the whole game. Almost as intense the 2nd time through. We should have had that iced at the under-4 timeout. It's as simple as not turning the ball over and making your FTs. We didn't and they had a headband guy. KJ was so damn clutch.

Just rewatched the whole game. Almost as intense the 2nd time through. We should have had that iced at the under-4 timeout. It's as simple as not turning the ball over and making your FTs. We didn't and they had a headband guy. KJ was so damn clutch.
It felt like they tried to milk the clock too much instead of staying aggressive. I get the strategy but there were a few times they had numbers down the stretch where I wish they attacked

Still on cloud 9 after yesterdays game rewatched the extended highlights and the post game today…

This team has surpassed all my expectations for this year, everything is gravy at this point. Absolutely love this teams resilience and fight. Crazy we’ve really been doing this with a 6 man rotation kind of reminds me of the year North Carolina had a 5 or 6 man rotation two years ago and made that run to the chip. Very unique.
I've been thinking about this alot the last month or so as our rotation got tighter when Cody went down. The conventional wisdom is you want 8-9 guys, but that's not always the case, depending on conditioning and skill sets. If I've got 4-5 starters that can play basically the whole game without getting tired, and I think they are better than your starters, why not keep the rotation limited (foul trouble not withstanding.) Coaches have 13 guys on scholarship and feel like they have to play most of them, to keep them happy so they don't become a moral issue or leave.

When your guys are 1. more talented and 2. in better condition than the other team, a tight rotation is an advantage IMO. I love our formula right now ... and hope that Cody taking another step forward pushes us to the Sweet 16.

Buffs made it harder on themselves than they needed to. Didn't have a problem with spreading things out and killing some clock near the end but it all comes down to the lead and the number of possessions needed to overcome it.

There were at least a couple of times near the end where we had an uncontested dunk available off the spread. Even if there are 10-15 seconds left on the shot clock if a free bucket will put you up by an additional possession (divide the lead by 3, a 6 point lead is 2 possessions, 7 becomes 3 possessions) take it and make the opponent burn clock trying to get it back.

Instead we had multiple possessions that burned clock but ended empty on the scoreboard. Hit a bucket on even one of those Florida can't tie it on a late 3.

I’ve been thinking about this team. First off, I don’t think they are constructed like the Nuggets and I don’t think they have a player anywhere near as talented relative to level of competition as Joker is, but with Eddie (and LOB?) seemingly having hit another gear within the last week or so, they really have so many different ways to adjust and beat the other team. They can win a track meet (yesterday) or a rock fight (Boise and WSU). I know the margins get super thin this time of year, but I hope they have enough to keep showing this off for at least another couple of games.

Edit- I will say that the number of ways that they can beat a team extends to themselves- their biggest flaw (that I see) is the huge number of turnovers.

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about this team. First off, I don’t think they are constructed like the Nuggets and I don’t think they have a player anywhere near as talented relative to level of competition as Joker is, but with Eddie (and LOB?) seemingly having hit another gear within the last week or so, they really have so many different ways to adjust and beat the other team. They can win a track meet (yesterday) or a rock fight (Boise and WSU). I know the margins get super thin this time of year, but I hope they have enough to keep showing this off for at least another couple of games.

Edit- I will say that the number of ways that they can beat a team extends to themselves- their biggest flaw (that I see) is the huge number of turnovers.
Between TOs and giving up way too many offensive rebounds, we're making these games much harder than they should be. It's not sustainable to allow opponents 10+ shots more than you and to keep beating good teams.

Boise got 19 more FG attempts than us. Florida got 14 more.

Things that happend after the under 4 that resulted in the game coming down to the wire

1. Missed FTs
2. 3 Turnovers
3. 2 possessions giving up a layup in <10 seconds (plus a really cheap and-one against LOB on one of these)
4. Clayton getting ridiculously hot

There were 3 possessions where they burned clock, got a layup from KJ, a missed 3 from KJ, and KJ missed jumper / O-board / 1/2 FTs; IMHO, 3 points on 3 possessions that burned almost half of what was left on the clock is not really worth adding to that list.

Burning the clock always feels uneasy, but it's the right move. Even with almost everything else going right for Florida down the stretch it worked out.

Things that happend after the under 4 that resulted in the game coming down to the wire

1. Missed FTs
2. 3 Turnovers
3. 2 possessions giving up a layup in <10 seconds (plus a really cheap and-one against LOB on one of these)
4. Clayton getting ridiculously hot

There were 3 possessions where they burned clock, got a layup from KJ, a missed 3 from KJ, and KJ missed jumper / O-board / 1/2 FTs; IMHO, 3 points on 3 possessions that burned almost half of what was left on the clock is not really worth adding to that list.

Burning the clock always feels uneasy, but it's the right move. Even with almost everything else going right for Florida down the stretch it worked out.
Burning the clock is the right move, especially against a team that can score in bunches like Florida.

My only fault with it is that they have to be willing to take the easy 2 points with some time left on the shot clock rather than milk it all the way down and end up empty. I can think of at least twice in the last 3 minutes that they passed on what was basically a free bucket with about 10 seconds on the clock. Had KJ missed that shot we would have gone to OT in a game that we controlled most of the night.

Having even an extra 2 points on the board would have force Florida to need 2 possessions to tie at the end meaning more than likely a much more panicked offense from them and sending us to the line. And a great way to slow a team down to set a defense is to force them to take the ball out of the net.

KJ didn't push off (much) before the final shot. That wouldn't be called 90% of the time in that situation. There is a large Reddit thread where almost all of the posts are Gators fans crying about the officiating. The salty tears taste delicious.

Last edited:
I think both teams played pretty damn close to their offensive best.

I suspect that UF's coach didn't quite have a good enough scoring report - he really had no idea that our offensive best was so good.

Coaches can't scout and watch every game, or every conference. And if you're a coach in the eastern time zone, you simply will not have seen many of the Western time zone teams play, so you rely on scouting reports to tell you what you need to know.

On the one hand, I would say his scouting report was deficient. On the other hand, I would say his scouting report led to a game plan that was well within any reasonable margin of error of creating a win, so 🤷.

Don't be so reasonable.

**** that guy.

Back