What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA 2024 Tourney game thread - #10 seed MEN's Bball - 2nd round game vs. #2 seed Marquette (In Indianapolis; Sunday, 3/24, 10:10 AM MT; CBS)

Tad is in the same position that Saban was in, maybe without the age and family dynamics
The game and College Sports have changed a lot and he may not be built for this next few years
Gonna be an interesting off season

Weird take. Tad may retire, but his recruiting has only gotten better over the years. He probably doesn't want to play the transfer game, but he'll bring in a couple, especially if KJ moves on.

Such a bummer. A couple shots away from raising the ceiling on the program. I think that's a fair take on the tad era. Really great at raising the floor, unable to raise the ceiling. Now we enter a very uncertain and tough time. Aging coach, much tougher conference, and a complete reset of the talent cycle. Things could go south in a big way

My three takes on this game:

The kids had multiple chances to quit during this game. There were long stretches when things weren't going their way and Marquette is a damn good team. But they fought to the end, and it wasn't sealed until the last 10 seconds of the game. We should be proud of them.

**** the selection committee. We played three games, all three opposing coaches were left saying, "why were these guys a 10 seed?" We should have been a top 6 seed, we shouldn't have been in the First Four, and we shouldn't have been playing a 2 seed today. Eat ****, committee.

Can we have some consistency in the refereeing from game to game, please? We went from a game on Friday where if we breathed on #1 from Florida, it was a foul, to a game where almost everything went. We really didn't adjust to that all game. They roughed up our drivers, we looked afraid to challenge Kolek. It wasn't until late in the game when we really made it hard on him to drive - only once were we called for a foul. We should have been roughing him all second half.

Came into today expecting a loss only because well, we're CU and we can't have good things, especially CU basketball. But there was also part of me thinking this might finally happen and all that talk of history or lack of it for the program. And then late in the game I was feeling like this magic might just happen and we have an 11 seed waiting in the next round. Damm

I keep seeing that we needed to knock Kolek around and force him right. Guys, what do you think EVERY TEAM THEY PLAYED tried this year? Sometimes a guy is just damn good and you have to give him props. KJ did a damn good job on him - especially considering his offensive load.

The better team won. There were some minor tweaks I would have liked to see (pick & roll D in the first half) and it would have been amazing for KJ to hit those shots that he makes 99% of the time but sometimes it is what it is.

Damn good effort. Damn proud of this team. Roll mother****ing Tad.

(Please give the team the money to hire a program manager and handle roster management. Please. PLEASE)

What a ride this last month has been. So proud of these Buffs and the grit and toughness they showed over and over. Just ran into a team that couldn’t miss today. And we missee 3 WIDE OPEN 3s in the last 3 minutes. That was it. Oh, and somehow couldn’t keep Kolek off his left hand, unreal. Marquette is absolutely not better than us. Loved that Cody stepped up in his last game for us. Go make your millions, kid.

Jeez … talk about reset button. What does the starting five look like next year? Are any of them on the roster now? Kidding .. sort of …
RJ Smith looked real good before the injury.

Have to imagine there is at least one scholarship player leaving for good attrition.

What is Eddie’s status? Does he have another year?

We had our shots. They just didn't fall. Proud of how they battled back. Marquette couldn't miss in the first half. Definitely felt like a buzzsaw game. Kolek killed us. I don't know if I've ever seen a smallish guard be so effective inside.

We had our shots. They just didn't fall. Proud of how they battled back. Marquette couldn't miss in the first half. Definitely felt like a buzzsaw game. Kolek killed us. I don't know if I've ever seen a smallish guard be so effective inside.

Honestly, starting 1-8 from 3 was why we lost. They weren't pressured or forced shots, we just missed them. Our average says we hit 3 of them.

Such a bummer. A couple shots away from raising the ceiling on the program. I think that's a fair take on the tad era. Really great at raising the floor, unable to raise the ceiling. Now we enter a very uncertain and tough time. Aging coach, much tougher conference, and a complete reset of the talent cycle. Things could go south in a big way

Tad can be here as long as he likes. Love him always will. His heir apparent, my hope anyway, is doing well in his own right, and knows through personal experience how tough Big 12 is.

Honestly, starting 1-8 from 3 was why we lost. They weren't pressured or forced shots, we just missed them. Our average says we hit 3 of them.
Or Marquette starting 12-for-12 from 2 even though the defense was solid (not great).

It was just one of those. The fact we were in it is actually impressive and the players deserve props for their ability to not give up.

Yep. 10-30 (all good looks) for a team that shoots nearly 40% behind the arc.

Or Marquette starting 12-for-12 from 2 even though the defense was solid (not great).

It was just one of those. The fact we were in it is actually impressive and the players deserve props for their ability to not give up.

True. That was nuts. None of them were bad shots, but the law of averages says 13 misses at least one of those jump hooks he was hitting.

The kids had multiple chances to quit during this game. There were long stretches when things weren't going their way and Marquette is a damn good team. But they fought to the end, and it wasn't sealed until the last 10 seconds of the game. We should be proud of them.

**** the selection committee. We played three games, all three opposing coaches were left saying, "why were these guys a 10 seed?" We should have been a top 6 seed, we shouldn't have been in the First Four, and we shouldn't have been playing a 2 seed today. Eat ****, committee.

Can we have some consistency in the refereeing from game to game, please? We went from a game on Friday where if we breathed on #1 from Florida, it was a foul, to a game where almost everything went. We really didn't adjust to that all game. They roughed up our drivers, we looked afraid to challenge Kolek. It wasn't until late in the game when we really made it hard on him to drive - only once were we called for a foul. We should have been roughing him all second half.

Yep. No reason to get to under 1:00 left with fouls to give. Especially when the other team is shooting 60%.

Kolek was a 2nd team all American, I didn't even realize this until reading a little about Marquette yesterday

Tad is in the same position that Saban was in, maybe without the age and family dynamics
The game and College Sports have changed a lot and he may not be built for this next few years
Gonna be an interesting off season
Lol except Saban in the greatest of all time and would have continued racking up playoff appearances, SEC Championships and National Championships, while Tad will have a bottom third roster next year in the Big 12 while likely not making another tournament run for at least 2-3 more years. But yeah, besides that stuff, Tad and Saban are in a similar situation.

I agree with all of this. Two observations though-the issues we had as a fanbase with our seeding were drowned out by all the talking the MWC fanbases who made the tournament did. We sent Boise home, Nevada laid an egg, CSU totally wet the bed against a Texas team that looked average, and New Mexico wasn't competitive. If you compare our performance with that entire league's, I think its pretty obvious we spent last week having the wrong conversation.

This was the worst year of college refereeing I've seen in a while. The coaches' box (for whatever reason) was not enforced in college basketball. We had the Samford-Kansas fiasco. I didn't think the officiating in either of our Indianapolis games was where it should have been given the time of year. There are other examples.

This was the worst year of college refereeing I've seen in a while. The coaches' box (for whatever reason) was not enforced in college basketball. We had the Samford-Kansas fiasco. I didn't think the officiating in either of our Indianapolis games was where it should have been given the time of year. There are other examples.
Today wasn’t called in an ideal fashion but at least it was consistent. I’ll take that any day over the BS we saw Friday when they didn’t call anything and then called everything.

Today wasn’t called in an ideal fashion but at least it was consistent. I’ll take that any day over the BS we saw Friday when they didn’t call anything and then called everything.
Today was better than Friday for sure, but I think there's a lot to clean up going into 24-25

Same on Wednesday too.

Completely understandable why we would have expected the calls to tighten up in the second half again.

What a great, fun last month! Joe has to go and play at a lower level. Is Tad gonna go for a rebuild, or try to hit portal hard and if so who leaves? We have no one on the roster approaching KJ and TDS ability and skill levels. Would like for Hadley to return, Eddie- mixed emotions.

Back