What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA 2024 Tourney game thread - #5 seed WOMEN'S Bball - Sweet 16 game vs. #1 seed Iowa (Albany, NY; Sat., 3/30, 1:30 PM MT; ABC)

Indiana is giving South Carolina all they want, but Cocks will survive.

It's crazy how much the 3pt shot equalizes things. USC shot a higher percentage from 2 & 3, took more FTs, took more FG attempts by winning the TO & Reb battle... but only up by 3 with 14 seconds left because of 3pt volume (Hoosiers made 5 more treys).

Some things for today's game:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/3/29/womens-basketball-no-17-buffs-continue-the-dance-in-albany

"

No. 17 Buffs Continue the Dance in Albany​

Colorado set to play in second-straight Sweet 16

By: Seth Pringle, Athletic Communications

ALBANY, N.Y.—
The No. 17 Colorado women's basketball team resumes the 2024 NCAA Tournament with a Sweet 16 rematch against No. 1-seeded and second-ranked Iowa (1:30 p.m. MT/ABC) on Saturday. It is the second consecutive trip to the Sweet 16 for the Buffs and their eighth overall.

The Albany 2 region opened eyes immediately after it was revealed on Selection Sunday. The region is arguably the most challenging route to the Final Four, with Iowa, No. 2-seeded UCLA, and No. 3-seeded LSU all in the region. The Buffs are just one of three schools remaining in the tournament that didn't get a top-4 seeding, joining Baylor (5) and Duke (7).

Colorado (24-9) had to take the long road to Albany, much like the path it took to last year's Sweet 16 in Seattle. CU started the tournament with a neutral court win over Drake and then took down No. 4-seeded Kansas State on its home court. With the win over K-State, CU became the only team in the last four NCAA Tournaments to advance to two Sweet 16s with a true road win.

Much like last year in Seattle, the sold-out crowd is expected to lean heavily toward the Hawkeyes.

"We definitely are anticipating that type of crowd," head coach JR Payne explained. "It felt like that in Seattle last year, and that was the other side of the country.

"So yeah, we're expecting that. It's a great atmosphere always when you're going to play in an environment like that. Very similar to Kansas State last weekend. Very similar to most Pac-12 road games this year, where attendance was through the roof and playing really great crowds in really hostile environments. I don't think it will be any different and it's something that we have enough experience with and we're excited about."

The back-to-back trips to the Sweet 16 are the first for CU since the 2002 and 2003 tournaments, but Colorado doesn't just want to settle for just making it here again.

"I think every coach wants to continue to grow your program," Payne added. "Your players want to continue to prove themselves or outdo whatever they had accomplished the year before. I think this is a great opportunity for that on a big stage against a great team. Of course, we're trying to keep playing as long as we can."

Last year's loss to the Hawkeyes has been used as a reference point in this week's preparations, watching film from last March as a refresher course.

"Of course, we looked and reflected on last year's game just to get a feel for it again," junior Aaronette Vonleh noted. "But we're a much better team than we were last year and I think they arguably probably are too. It is a new game and we're just basing it off this year as much as we are last."

Led by Caitlin Clark, Iowa (31-4) picked up wins over Holy Cross and West Virginia to get to Albany. The Hawkeyes, the 2024 Big Ten champions and last year's national runner-up, have won eight in a row and lead the nation in scoring average with 92.0 points per game. Clark leads the nation with 31.8 points per game but Iowa also has Hannah Stuelke (14.1) and Kate Martin (12.8) in double figures for the season.

"They are the same team, but they also have added some new pieces or added some new dimensions to their game," Payne expressed. "So playing Iowa is very similar in that regard, very similar to what they were, but also added some new things, as well, so similar approach. A little bit of both."

A win on Saturday would punch Colorado's first ticket to the Elite Eight since 2002.

Ryan Ruocco (pxp), Rebecca Lobo (analyst) and Holly Rowe (reporter) will be on the nationally-televised call for ABC. Lance Medow (pxp) and Kim Adams (analyst) make up the national radio crew for Westwood One.

Cory Lopez and Carol Callan will be on the call on the Colorado Radio Network, locally on 850 KOA and 94.1 FM, with pregame coverage 30 minutes before tip.
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Another press conference (from yesterday) -

Some things for today's game:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/3/29/womens-basketball-no-17-buffs-continue-the-dance-in-albany

"

No. 17 Buffs Continue the Dance in Albany​

Colorado set to play in second-straight Sweet 16

By: Seth Pringle, Athletic Communications

ALBANY, N.Y.—
The No. 17 Colorado women's basketball team resumes the 2024 NCAA Tournament with a Sweet 16 rematch against No. 1-seeded and second-ranked Iowa (1:30 p.m. MT/ABC) on Saturday. It is the second consecutive trip to the Sweet 16 for the Buffs and their eighth overall.

The Albany 2 region opened eyes immediately after it was revealed on Selection Sunday. The region is arguably the most challenging route to the Final Four, with Iowa, No. 2-seeded UCLA, and No. 3-seeded LSU all in the region. The Buffs are just one of three schools remaining in the tournament that didn't get a top-4 seeding, joining Baylor (5) and Duke (7).

Colorado (24-9) had to take the long road to Albany, much like the path it took to last year's Sweet 16 in Seattle. CU started the tournament with a neutral court win over Drake and then took down No. 4-seeded Kansas State on its home court. With the win over K-State, CU became the only team in the last four NCAA Tournaments to advance to two Sweet 16s with a true road win.

Much like last year in Seattle, the sold-out crowd is expected to lean heavily toward the Hawkeyes.

"We definitely are anticipating that type of crowd," head coach JR Payne explained. "It felt like that in Seattle last year, and that was the other side of the country.

"So yeah, we're expecting that. It's a great atmosphere always when you're going to play in an environment like that. Very similar to Kansas State last weekend. Very similar to most Pac-12 road games this year, where attendance was through the roof and playing really great crowds in really hostile environments. I don't think it will be any different and it's something that we have enough experience with and we're excited about."

The back-to-back trips to the Sweet 16 are the first for CU since the 2002 and 2003 tournaments, but Colorado doesn't just want to settle for just making it here again.

"I think every coach wants to continue to grow your program," Payne added. "Your players want to continue to prove themselves or outdo whatever they had accomplished the year before. I think this is a great opportunity for that on a big stage against a great team. Of course, we're trying to keep playing as long as we can."

Last year's loss to the Hawkeyes has been used as a reference point in this week's preparations, watching film from last March as a refresher course.

"Of course, we looked and reflected on last year's game just to get a feel for it again," junior Aaronette Vonleh noted. "But we're a much better team than we were last year and I think they arguably probably are too. It is a new game and we're just basing it off this year as much as we are last."

Led by Caitlin Clark, Iowa (31-4) picked up wins over Holy Cross and West Virginia to get to Albany. The Hawkeyes, the 2024 Big Ten champions and last year's national runner-up, have won eight in a row and lead the nation in scoring average with 92.0 points per game. Clark leads the nation with 31.8 points per game but Iowa also has Hannah Stuelke (14.1) and Kate Martin (12.8) in double figures for the season.

"They are the same team, but they also have added some new pieces or added some new dimensions to their game," Payne expressed. "So playing Iowa is very similar in that regard, very similar to what they were, but also added some new things, as well, so similar approach. A little bit of both."

A win on Saturday would punch Colorado's first ticket to the Elite Eight since 2002.

Ryan Ruocco (pxp), Rebecca Lobo (analyst) and Holly Rowe (reporter) will be on the nationally-televised call for ABC. Lance Medow (pxp) and Kim Adams (analyst) make up the national radio crew for Westwood One.

Cory Lopez and Carol Callan will be on the call on the Colorado Radio Network, locally on 850 KOA and 94.1 FM, with pregame coverage 30 minutes before tip.
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Another press conference (from yesterday) -

Love the way she (Coach Payne) carries herself. She's great for Colorado. I hope she isn't plucked away anytime soon.

Mulkey, on the other hand, is just the worst, and I'm really hoping this WaPo expose destroys her.
Read it this morning.

It read like it needed one of those painfully weak both sides headlines from nytpitchbot.

It was written to make it very easy for boomers and southereners say, "that's the kind of toughness that makes winners. Crybaby millennials that try to tear down winners like Mulkey are what's destroying 'Murica"

It's also written to let people like me walk away from it saying, "what a ****ty miserable human being," but not much worse than that.

NCAA wants LSU v Iowa so bad and have let the referees know. LSU getting away with everything and I assume Iowa will be as well.

As much as I’m meh on UCLA sports, gotta be pulling for them to crush LSU…..

any of y'all read the wapo mulkey/lsu article that came out today? she threatened to sue before it even came out, but it looks pretty fair to me.

she's a really interesting and crazy mo-fo coach with a lot of ****ing anger and demons. pretty much like a lot of the great men's coaches through history, except with some apparent homophobia mixed in.

it is behind a paywall--so, sorry to you cheap ones-- but this is a good read. it also reinforces that baylor is as close to the establishment of the reign of the anti-christ on earth as we have seen.

Read it this morning.

It read like it needed one of those painfully weak both sides headlines from nytpitchbot.

It was written to make it very easy for boomers and southereners say, "that's the kind of toughness that makes winners. Crybaby millennials that try to tear down winners like Mulkey are what's destroying 'Murica"

It's also written to let people like me walk away from it saying, "what a ****ty miserable human being," but not much worse than that.

Yeah, I was disappointed. I see very little difference between her and Bobby Knight.

They gave a charge to UCLA against a moving LSU defender with 36 seconds left, basically deciding the game

They gave a charge to UCLA against a moving LSU defender with 36 seconds left, basically deciding the game
Rice had 3 terrible possessions there, I think she was trying to draw a foul, but if they just run their offense those 3 possessions, it’s a different game.

WV stayed in the game so long because it was low scoring. Iowa wants to outscore you. That is what they do best. They are not known for defense. Netty is stronger and more talented than any post player they have. Losing Cizano from last year's team has really hurt them. Clark and Cizano had played together for so long, that it was an automatic layup if Clark passed to her down low. They don't have that this year.
Exactly, last season the high-low entry to Cizano last season was deadly. This time it looks like CU can go 1 v 1 defensively v Iowa allowing more pressure on the perimeter.

I think I’m going to be happy I can’t hear the audio at this bar in Breck. The pregame highlights are nothing but CC

No one is giving Colorado a chance.
Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Back