1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NCAA rules HS games cannot be shown on school or conference networks

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Jens1893, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

2. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

for the best

3. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

How can they stop it? I mean, if ESPN decides it wants to show a high school football game, how can the NCAA stop it? That's between ESPN and the high school.

4. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

They can't. Luckily our network is wholly owned so the Pac 12 has full control over our network's content. LHN on the other hand...wouldn't that be absolutely hilarious if UT was sanctioned with violations because ESPN played the games on their network?

5. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

They could find every player who participated in the game NCAA ineligible. That would probably bring it to a stop pretty fast.

6. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

This is a bad decision. NCAA being too controlling, creating even more useless rules again.

If it is illegal to televise high school games, it should also be illegal to hold any camps for high school kids on college campuses.

We could have had conference networks airing local high school baseball and basketball championships etc... Now none of this is allowed to be aired, and we will see re-runs of the women's shotput from 2004 over and over.

**** YOU NCAA! Suck my penis you ****s.

7. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

And I interpret the NCAA ruling to be limited to conference / team affiliated networks.

I.e. no LHN, no Pac 12 network, no Big 10 network.

If ESPN, the network, wants to show high school football games on ESPN or ESPN 2 - more power to them.

8. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

fify.

9. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

They go after the school or the conference. If ESPiN wants to put HS games on ESPiNU, there's nothing the NCAA can do about it (except lean on ESPiN in the next contract negotiation). But if they want to put a HS game on the BongwHorn Network or some conference network, the NCAA will just go after the members that sponsor the network.

10. Maxer

Maxer Member

They don't need to do that. They are using an old rule (bylaw 11.2.3.4) which makes the Longhorn Network (and conference networks, presumably) an "athletics representative of the institution".

11. Junction

Yeah, by all means, the NCAA is so far out of line to keep one member institution from using their own network to broadcast HS games of recruits (maybe in return for a commitment?). There is nothing going on there that smells anything like a recruiting violation. Nope. Damned assholes, interfering with HS sports loving colllege ADs who only want to get these gutty little athletes a little exposure. Outrageous!!

12. GregInArlington

At this point the NCAA is just being suicidal.

13. Maxer

Maxer Member

Cool story, bro.

14. FightCu1414

FightCu1414 Fifth year Senior Club Member

So could colorado high school games still be televsed on say ROOT Sports or Altitude? From my understanding is although they do televise college football games they are not a specific network to a certain team or conference.

15. Maxer

Maxer Member

Yes. Just not on the upcoming Pac12 Network.

16. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

yes

17. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

this is the kind of stuff that led OU, UGA and the CFA (which Texas claimed to be a part of, after the fact)....to sue the NCAA under Anti-Trust legislation about TV rights in the early 80's, made it to the Supreme Court, and the judiciary ruled in favor of the CFA. Voila! there are 4007 college football games on every Saturday, not just 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_v._Board_of_Regents_of_Univ._of_Oklahoma

e
    dit: just now noting that Whizzer White was a dissenting opinion, based on the unique nature of college athletics.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  18. Buffs@5345'

Buffs@5345' Club Member Club Member

I agree. &nbsp;If they want to drop a few hours of tournament fishing on ESPiN 17, and show HS games more power to them, in fact if it were in any way profitable to do so I would have thought the regional Foxes, Roots, or what-have-you would have jumped on the market a long time ago. &nbsp;The reality is that the only reason it makes sense to broadcast those games outside their immediate market is if it is done as an inducement to the players themselves that they are being shown to a larger market. &nbsp; Longwhorn U would gladly absorb the production and marketing costs to have an "in" in the living room of all those kids, but to an impartial station manager there just wouldn't be advertising revenue out there, so why do it?<br><br>For once I think the NCAA is doing the right thing by completely divorcing all their member institutions from that mess. &nbsp; Imagine if they involved themselves in trying to police which institutions or conferences were allowed access to which HS content - <em>whispers&nbsp;</em>"the Horror"

19. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Not really. All of the president's are currently meeting right now. I'm guess they gave the green light on this to the NCAA.

20. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

**** UTerus and the LHN.

21. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

22. MrFrumpylane

MrFrumpylane Well-Known Member

In some ways, I feel that this announcement allows UT to be kept in discussion for the next Pac12 expansion.

23. GregInArlington

I dont think any of the PAC 12 or Texas presidents would have voted for this.

24. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

When GIA says it's suicidal, he may have a point. There is an increasingly large gap developing between the power conferences and the rest of college sports. The power conferences are claiming that they should be allowed to operate under a separate set of rules than everybody else. They're talking about paying players, televising high school games, etc. None of this sits well with the NCAA, but if the B10, ACC, SEC, and Pac 12 all told the NCAA to kiss off, the NCAA would cease to be an effective governing body.

25. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

fify.

26. SuperD

SuperD Club Member Club Member

Don't be surprised if this rule come soon...they are absolutely trying to clamp down on the 7 on 7 stuff turning into a football version of AAU in basketball.

27. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Shorter thread:
    Texas fan: This decision is bull**** and ridiculous, now ESPN really will have nothing to show but a camera on Mack Brown going to the ****ter!

Rest of the College Football World: Good. **** you.

28. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

If our resident whorn fan hates it, it's clearly the correct decision.

29. Junction

/thread

30. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

I'm sitting in a sea of Texas fans, and I'm loving every minute of it. This is a good call.