What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA shuts down satellite camps

Yeah, but the conferences that voted for the ban have come under a ton of media scrutiny by the people who actually know what they're talking about. I think Scott wanted to deflect that scrutiny away from the entire conference and scapegoat the one idiot that went rogue. I have no problem calling out UCLA AD publicly. **** him and **** UCLA.

Not out of line for calling him out for being a douchebag, but definitely out of line for calling him out in the media. As RG keep that stuff internal. This is business, have some professionalism.

What it says to me is that George has the full faith and support of Benson to back him up if he criticizes the conference commissioner, which he did, in the media instead of behind closed doors.

The winds might have just shifted...

[tea_leaves]
This also could mean that the commissioner's popularity is now starting to wane and support for him among the 12 Presidents is straining. Maybe they're signaling a change is coming thru this negative media attention. [/tea_leaves]

I'd imagine UCLAs President is not very happy with LS at the moment.

What it says to me is that George has the full faith and support of Benson to back him up if he criticizes the conference commissioner, which he did, in the media instead of behind closed doors.

The winds might have just shifted...

[tea_leaves]
This also could mean that the commissioner's popularity is now starting to wane and support for him among the 12 Presidents is straining. Maybe they're signaling a change is coming. [/tea_leaves]

I'd imagine UCLAs President is not very happy with LS at the moment.

Article in the Pac12/Directv thread detailing this very thing. Larry Scott is on thin ice.

On April 8, four of the five power conferences (all but the Big Ten) and six of the 10 FBS leagues passed a measure prohibiting football coaches from conducting or working at summer camps outside of their own practice facilities. The ACC and SEC both had proposed such a ban, but the ACC’s more restrictive version passed.

In an April 13 email obtained by FOX Sports later Wednesday night, Guerrero indicates he was trying to protect the conference from being at a competitive disadvantage if the SEC proposal passed, so instead he voted to approve the ACC’s proposal (2015-59), which came up first.

At issue for Guerrero with the SEC proposal: other programs would be permitted to hold camps within 50 miles while the Pac-12 would be prevented from doing that by their own conference rule, keeping institutional camps on campus.

Now knowing a bit more about the two competing proposals, both from SEC country, Guerrero's vote makes a bit more sense; Had the SEC rule passed every conference could have camped EXCEPT the Pac12 because of its own internal rules against. A clear disadvantage. So he voted to restrict everyone.

He was also blindsided because both issues were expected to be tabled instead of surprisingly being brought up for a vote.

I would tend to agree with the headline that this isn't over yet.

"Sankey objected to the common depiction that the SEC pushed for a ban to protect its own geographic recruiting turf from coaches like Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh. “That’s a red herring,” Sankey said. Instead, he feels the NCAA needed to push back against satellite camps to avoid football recruiting to “go the way of basketball recruiting, where summer camps take on more importance than the scholastic environment."

The SEC Commish, Sankey, is a lying SoS.

"Sankey objected to the common depiction that the SEC pushed for a ban to protect its own geographic recruiting turf from coaches like Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh. “That’s a red herring,” Sankey said. Instead, he feels the NCAA needed to push back against satellite camps to avoid football recruiting to “go the way of basketball recruiting, where summer camps take on more importance than the scholastic environment."

The SEC Commish, Sankey, is a lying SoS.

Right on, DBT. Unlike basketball, the only place teenagers get to play football is at their high school. Nobody is going to get a football offer based solely on what he did at a camp.

They did something right for once.

This was apparently expected. The lower council action where Guerrero was forced to vote was supposed to table the matter for a later date because the SEC and the ACC pulled a fast one.

Its stupid that there are not satellite camps because there are kids that can not afford to make trips. Hopefully the NCAA makes this right.

Think how awesome satellite camps will be when Branson gets his outer space flights up and running!

Back