What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA was afraid to punish UNC, so UNCo got punished

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
More evidence that it's dumb to self-report to the NCAA. Deny and lawyer up is the only sensible way to behave.

The Northern Colorado men’s basketball program will receive three years of probation, scholarship and recruiting sanctions and the vacation of records, including its 2011 Big Sky conference championship, for the improper management of its student athletes’ academics and impermissible financial benefits, the NCAA announced Friday.

Nine members of the UNC men’s basketball coaching staff, including former head coach B.J. Hill, are implicated in a variety of violations between 2010 and 2014, such as completing coursework for prospects, paying for classes that players needed to become academically eligible and arranging off-campus practice sessions with an academically ineligible player.

if they had only extended those benefits to a single non-athlete as well, they would've gotten off just like UNC-CH.

I will dissent here from the "blank UNC" mob for a bit.

North Carolina football did get punished by the NCAA for providing improper assistance to student-athletes, namely tutors doing homework. However, Northern Colorado's issues were far more widespread among not merely academic support - but the coaching staff themselves, as I read through the entire NCAA infractions report on Fri night + Sat morning.

Both schools did get postseason bans and vacated wins. I don't see the "double standard". If you were referencing the controversial AFAM classes, that's a different issue, as it's been argued by Duke alumnus Jay Bilas (of all people): “Academic fraud, to the NCAA, is a player cheating the school. It is not the school’s curriculum.”

North Carolina football did get punished by the NCAA for providing improper assistance to student-athletes, namely tutors doing homework. However, Northern Colorado's issues were far more widespread among not merely academic support - but the coaching staff themselves, as I read through the entire NCAA infractions report on Fri night + Sat morning.

Both schools did get postseason bans and vacated wins. I don't see the "double standard". If you were referencing the controversial AFAM classes, that's a different issue, as it's been argued by Duke alumnus Jay Bilas (of all people): “Academic fraud, to the NCAA, is a player cheating the school. It is not the school’s curriculum.”
Well, except that N. Carolina’s cheating was systemic and pervasive through the entire athletic program for 15 years. They kind of remind me of Russia’s PED program over decades while N Colorado was more like the weight lifters getting busted once.

Carolina was also prepared for women's basketball to take the fall for what the men's team had been doing and is no doubt still doing. That is reprehensible. Roy Williams and men's coaches before him set up the system, let the men's team take the fall.

I get that you're just trying to provide a counter argument, but I have to add to the rebuttals to your dissent. UNC-Greeley got punished, and that's fine. However, UNC-CH was a much more egregious, encompassing, and longer in duration. For this, UNC-CH should have been severely punished, and they were not. At its core, college athletics is a means for kids from any background to compete at a higher level than HS while potentially getting their higher education paid for. UNCCH's system used players that were not prepared for college, failed to even try to educate these kids, made money off the kids' efforts, and then spit most of them back out to where they came from (some of them I'm sure had lingering issues from injuries). Many of them, if not a large majority, were/are from a poor background. This was a despicable act, and it should make all fans take a hard look in the mirror while asking tough questions. What is wrong with college athletics? What needs to be fixed? Should college sports even exist? What do should we prioritize? I get incredibly frustrated with the amount of big money in college sports, along with some universities in general, while the labor force isn't paid (at least officially). I remember many conversations I've had with Canadian friends, who found our college sports system rather interesting. Education should be paramount, and these kids should get a much larger share of pie that they generate for their schools, coaches, etc.

I get that you're just trying to provide a counter argument, but I have to add to the rebuttals to your dissent. UNC-Greeley got punished, and that's fine. However, UNC-CH was a much more egregious, encompassing, and longer in duration. For this, UNC-CH should have been severely punished, and they were not. At its core, college athletics is a means for kids from any background to compete at a higher level than HS while potentially getting their higher education paid for. UNCCH's system used players that were not prepared for college, failed to even try to educate these kids, made money off the kids' efforts, and then spit most of them back out to where they came from (some of them I'm sure had lingering issues from injuries). Many of them, if not a large majority, were/are from a poor background. This was a despicable act, and it should make all fans take a hard look in the mirror while asking tough questions. What is wrong with college athletics? What needs to be fixed? Should college sports even exist? What do should we prioritize? I get incredibly frustrated with the amount of big money in college sports, along with some universities in general, while the labor force isn't paid (at least officially). I remember many conversations I've had with Canadian friends, who found our college sports system rather interesting. Education should be paramount, and these kids should get a much larger share of pie that they generate for their schools, coaches, etc.
I’d like to see a former player sue them for fraud, haha.

Too bad this happened. I made several games up in Greeley during the '10/'11 season. Good team. A UNC alum friend of mine hated Hill anyway and is laughing about most of this. Couldn't stand him as a coach.

Back