What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Article Series on Colorado Athletic Facility Improvements

Yeah, the monthly automatic debit is something we would be in for. We sponsor a child in Tanzania - it costs almost $500 a year, which we couldn't do in a single payment. But $40 a month? Sign us up. Applies here too. We would be in for maybe $50 a month (what we can afford). That isn't much, but $600 applied across thousands of alums annually adds up very quickly.

And man, the Solich thing has been disappointing, to say the least. I don't blame Solich at all, but douchebags like AZ for fueling pipe dreams of CU's "Phil Knight" only to sell subscriptions.

And in that 15 years, we've had the East side luxury box expansion, locker room expansion & update, practice bubble and a big new basketball/volleyball practice facility built, even during a time of incredible upheaval in the department. We've gone through four AD's, four football head coaches and five University Presidents in the last 15 years. Yes, we all know what needs to be done. I suspect even Benson and DiStephano know what needs to be done. I get the impatience. I really do. I'm impatient too. The facilities race started at a time when we were simply not equipped to participate. We're getting there now, but it's still going to take some time.

@zbuff - oil guy (Solich) got his money, but I don't have any idea how much, if anything, he pledged to the athletic department. For all we know, he took the money and is starting a new business with it and can't give any of it up.

Your list of athletic department accomplishments over the past 15 years provides an important perspective. Thanks for pointing that out. The original Thorpe plan announced at the turn of the century envisioned a drip-by-drip approach to building out the facilities under a plan called "Athletics 2010". Under that plan, that administration provided a vision that got side-tracked by the 2005 so-called sex scandal.

East Side luxury box expansion - $42M
Practice Bubble - <$1M
Locker Room expansion & update - approx $1.5M
Potts Field improvements (for Big12 T&F championships) approx $0.5M
South Campus Tennis Rennovation $?
New basketball practice facility - $12M
Scoreboard updates - $7M

The CU Ad has spent at least $60-$70M range on athletic upgrades over the past 12 years.

The important point is that CU is and should always be fund raising. We're spending around $5-$6M per year. This is a long term project, not something that requires a prolonged silent period to tap the whale donors. This project requires transparency and a communication plan that rallies all potential donors alike. Shoulder to Shoulder.

I'm a CU-Denver grad and have put three kids through CU-Boulder. I have season tickets. I have never, not once, been asked to donate other than any Buff Club stuff. I have no clue even how to offer a donation or how the donation process works. My point is that the CU AD is not proactive at all.

If I were to donate a million dollars, I would be second on the points list.

That is kind of sad that we don't have at least a handful of donors ahead of that

If I were to donate a million dollars, I would be second on the points list.

That is kind of sad that we don't have at least a handful of donors ahead of that

I suspect Allbuffs, in aggregate, could be in the top dozen donors.

I think we should aggregate. Are you willing to join the collective for more power?

Anyone reading Allbuffs has already joined the collective. Just saying'.

I'm thinking a few tweaks to the member profile is all it would take.
Step one: On the membership profile, include a few fields.

Field one: CU football tickets for the 2012 season?
- Season Ticket Holder. Y/N I pledge to buy ___ season tickets for the 2012 season.
- Buy individual game tickets. Y/N I pledge to buy __ individual tickets for the 2012 season.
- Buy away game tickets. Y/N. I pledge to buy ____ away game tickets through the CUAD.

Field two: CU basketball season ticket holder? Y/N
- Season Ticket Holder. Y/N I pledge to buy ___ season tickets for the 2012 season.
- Buy individual game tickets. Y/N I pledge to buy __ individual tickets for the 2012 season.
- Buy away game tickets. Y/N. I pledge to buy ____ away game tickets through the CUAD.

Field three: How much do you pledge to support the CUAD each year.
Ticket fee (mandatory donation assessed to season ticket purchases) $__________
Additional contributions (any amounts above and beyond ticket fees) $__________
Total expected company match to your pledged support? $________

Field four: Do you want to your giving information to be made public? Y/N
If yes, then the member profile is updated with special icons underneath the avatar. A football ticket icon is for football ticket purchases. Another icon for basketball ticket purchases. Another icon for supplemental pledges.
The specifics of how many tickets/how many dollars is kept discrete at the individual level. But the aggregate # of tickets is provided on the forum home page.

Example:
Allbuffs Statistics

Threads 50,002 Posts 934,804 Members 4,348
2012 CU Football Tickets purchased 4,200
2012 CU Basketball Tickets purchased 3,690
2012 pledged donations to CUAD $120,000

Anyone reading Allbuffs has already joined the collective. Just saying'.

I'm thinking a few tweaks to the member profile is all it would take.
Step one: On the membership profile, include a few fields.

Field one: CU football tickets for the 2012 season?

Field two: CU basketball season ticket holder? Y/N

Field three: How much do you pledge to support the CUAD each year.
Ticket fee (mandatory donation assessed to season ticket purchases) $__________
Additional contributions (any amounts above and beyond ticket fees) $__________
Total expected company match to your pledged support? $________

Field four: Do you want to your giving information to be made public? Y/N
If yes, then the member profile is updated with special icons underneath the avatar. A football ticket icon is for football ticket purchases. Another icon for basketball ticket purchases. Another icon for supplemental pledges.
The specifics of how many tickets/how many dollars is kept discrete at the individual level. But the aggregate # of tickets is provided on the forum home page.

Example:
Allbuffs Statistics

Threads 50,002 Posts 934,804 Members 4,348
2012 CU Football Tickets purchased 4,200
2012 CU Basketball Tickets purchased 3,690
2012 pledged donations to CUAD $120,000

so, liver was the only one who donated, eh?

i knew we could count on that guy to make the rest of us look good!

I have no experience with fundraising, I freely admit. And maybe there's a way to do it.

But I do have a little experience with leadership (mostly as a follower).

Good leaders articulate a clear vision, and they resource that vision. They show progress toward that vision. And they demonstrate solidarity in the process.

Here, a vision would read: We want to accomplish this clear objective with our facilities for this reason...

However, if we want to meet that vision, we need this much money...

Here is where you, the fan, fits into that vision. You can do this clearly stated, easy to execute thing to help.

This is how far we've progressed toward that vision. You're a part of that. This is how much further we have to go.

And by the way, the President, Chancellor and Athletic Director are all clear on our message, and repeating the vision every chance they get, and it sounds the same no matter whose mouth it's coming out of.

That's what leadership should look like. At this point, nobody knows where we're going, or why and we don't have tangible feedback on how we're helping. And everybody is saying something different.

That may look like good fundraising to people in the know, but to me, it just looks like bad leadership.

What. A. Letdown. So the big announcement in Sept was to make an announcement that we'll have another meeting in half a year and announce that nothing is expected to happen then either? We're always preparing, just go:
preparingSpaceballs.jpg
The biggest enemy of the CU football program is the CU administration. Very sad, and it pi$$#SS me off big time.

I have no experience with fundraising, I freely admit. And maybe there's a way to do it.

But I do have a little experience with leadership (mostly as a follower).

Good leaders articulate a clear vision, and they resource that vision. They show progress toward that vision. And they demonstrate solidarity in the process.

Here, a vision would read: We want to accomplish this clear objective with our facilities for this reason...

However, if we want to meet that vision, we need this much money...

Here is where you, the fan, fits into that vision. You can do this clearly stated, easy to execute thing to help.

This is how far we've progressed toward that vision. You're a part of that. This is how much further we have to go.

And by the way, the President, Chancellor and Athletic Director are all clear on our message, and repeating the vision every chance they get, and it sounds the same no matter whose mouth it's coming out of.

That's what leadership should look like. At this point, nobody knows where we're going, or why and we don't have tangible feedback on how we're helping. And everybody is saying something different.

That may look like good fundraising to people in the know, but to me, it just looks like bad leadership.

wait....

theres not one damm link in there.....

If you were CU, how would you get all that stuff built? Do we build the IPF first or build new seating to produce more money to pay for the IPF?

If you were CU, how would you get all that stuff built? Do we build the IPF first or build new seating to produce more money to pay for the IPF?

Absolutely the IPF first. We have to be able to attract high quality recruits to generate buzz around the program and create more demand for tickets. In the perfect world, we build enough demand for tickets via a more competitive on-field product to the point we're selling out all current games at present capacity and raise prices for tickets to further bolster revenues. As those prices rise, we due a larger expansion of seating. This would make us even more attractive to student-athletes.

IPF should be first.

It should be, but if we can get the IPF we can get the stadium stuff. Stadium stuff finances pretty easily based on the revenue increase projections from more seats -- especially more suites & club level.

Back