What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New CU Recruiting Grounds: Kansas City and Florida

Totally my bad. The link was dead and didn't show up on my screen so it looked like he was implying that this state as in CO needed to be recruited heavier.

Yes. Texas. The big one with tons of talent that CU doesn't seem to access much anymore.

I love that we think that Colorado has a ton of Pac 12 talent. I'm sure they are hitting hard all those who are P12 caliber. But why bring in guys who aren't just to say, "Hey, they are Colorado kids!"
nm

Last edited:
Leavitt recruiting KC amounts to very little time IMO. More importantly is whether he and Tumpkins can leverage their Florida connections. If so, we should be able to find some players. Tumpkins can hopefully shore up DFW recruiting as well.

Leavitt shouldn't be expected to be a road warrior / recruiting ace at this stage of his career. He's a coordinator. So he's got a couple areas that CU doesn't traditionally recruit that he'll try to snag us a few players. Other than that, the assistants and the non-coach staff members better be doing the legwork and bringing him in where appropriate.

How does a Head Coach handle recruiting? Do they typically cover a specific area, like the assistants do, or are they all over the place making visits to "close" specific recruits? I only ask because JL has said he would like to be a P5 HC again, so I wouldn't say he shouldn't be expected to be a recruiting ace at this stage of his career.

Leavitt recruiting KC amounts to very little time IMO. More importantly is whether he and Tumpkins can leverage their Florida connections. If so, we should be able to find some players. Tumpkins can hopefully shore up DFW recruiting as well.

I think Leavitt should focus solely on Kemp. That should be his only priority this recruiting season.

How does a Head Coach handle recruiting? Do they typically cover a specific area, like the assistants do, or are they all over the place making visits to "close" specific recruits? I only ask because JL has said he would like to be a P5 HC again, so I wouldn't say he shouldn't be expected to be a recruiting ace at this stage of his career.

Head coaches are severely limited as far as recruiting goes. That can't cover any "area" because of the restrictions in place. Specifically they are restricted to only one day for off campus contact with a PSA and may not engage in off campus recruiting, coaching clinics, visit PSA's schools, or meet with the PSA's coach off campus during the April 15 to May 31 evaluation period. Assistants have to do the bulk of the recruiting. Head coaches just evaluate and close in the home.

If I were a kid growing up in the deep south, I'd LOVE the idea of going to Colorado. Hell, West Texas was hot. But the deep south is a different kind of hot. An almost inexplicable hot for anyone who hasn't experienced it. The cool, soothing breezes of Boulder, I would think, would appeal to anyone living in the deep South.

I get the idea of Florida with his obvious connections there. KC is a little weird, so he must have something going there. Unfortunately, CU doesn't have the time to lay ground work in a place like KC. If we aren't gaining traction after this recruiting cycle I'm not sure we should keep going forward with it.

I get the idea of Florida with his obvious connections there. KC is a little weird, so he must have something going there. Unfortunately, CU doesn't have the time to lay ground work in a place like KC. If we aren't gaining traction after this recruiting cycle I'm not sure we should keep going forward with it.
I guess we'd better stop trying to recruit Texas then. Some would say we haven't gained traction in California yet. Hell, let's just stop recruiting altogether. :wink2:

I'm sure he just like BBQ or something....

I guess we'd better stop trying to recruit Texas then. Some would say we haven't gained traction in California yet. Hell, let's just stop recruiting altogether. :wink2:
Good idea. We should put more resources in Wyoming

KC recruiting is not shocking when you consider the Juco opportunities.

Play the reverse psychology game! If we don't recruit a kid, it'll make him want to come here even more, right?!?!?

Just as long as they stay away from El Paso, Jeffcoat has that MF on LOCKDOWN.

13467507971156.gif

KC recruiting is not shocking when you consider the Juco opportunities.

KC could be a place that provides a good ROI on recruiting effort. A lot more talent comes out of there than would be expected but it doesn't get a huge amount of recruiting pressure, mostly KU, KjSU, Mizzou, and some from other BIG schools.

CU has gotten some talent out of there in the past, trying to remember the name of the smallish RB who started for us for a couple years.

For kids from that area Boulder is like paradise yet closer to home than the Cali schools.

Don't think Leavitt spends huge amounts of time there but wouldn't surprise me to see us pull some solid players.

KC could be a place that provides a good ROI on recruiting effort. A lot more talent comes out of there than would be expected but it doesn't get a huge amount of recruiting pressure, mostly KU, KjSU, Mizzou, and some from other BIG schools.

CU has gotten some talent out of there in the past, trying to remember the name of the smallish RB who started for us for a couple years.

For kids from that area Boulder is like paradise yet closer to home than the Cali schools.

Don't think Leavitt spends huge amounts of time there but wouldn't surprise me to see us pull some solid players.

Tony Reed , Eric Kissick and for old timers, Don Popplewell all hailed from the KC/MO area. Leavitt played at Mizzou and had to have developed some ties there while at KSU. Stealing a couple from there every other year or so, certainly would merit a couple trips a year on your way to FLA.

Looked at Leavitt's last three classes at USF and he went with FL kids and a good amount of Juco's from..... KS, along with MS.

Back