What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New name: Willie Fritz (Tulane)

W Fritz has Tulane 7-1 right now.
I have a ton of respect for Fritz. He's done a really good job.

He also went 2-10 last year and has more losing than winning seasons there. I don't think we'd consider it a success if he repeated his Tulane performance at CU, so I have trouble backing Fritz.

I follow Tulane pretty closely and that is one of the toughest jobs in the country in my opinion. His mediocre record there is impressive, especially in light of how they’ve looked this year. Fritz has been successful everywhere’s he’s been so that tells me he has a good vision for what it takes in places with different constraints. While his offense has faltered at times at Tulane, he’s shown to actually commit to schemes and evolve to personnel as needed. The recruiting makes sense, it’s almost all Gulf Coast, Dallas, South Florida, and Tennessee with a heavy dose of local transfers like Clayton. He’s moved on from assistants as needed while also having a decent amount poached. He tends to replace them with coaches from his own tree and network with some up and comers like Gerald Chatman, which tells me he’s respected by the guys he’s worked with. Fritz is also very passionate, he seems to get a lot out of his players, and handles the media very well.

In a lot of ways, Fritz is exactly what CU hasn’t been and needed to be in the past few years. He’s not very high on my list mainly because of his age, lack of P5 experience, and my interest in other candidates. Bronco, for instance, I think brings much of the same upside and would be a better fit. At the very least, CU should consider what makes someone like Fritz successful in a difficult job. It’s not by thinking you’re going to somehow outsmart every other team. It’s mainly by doing the things you can control well.

I follow Tulane pretty closely and that is one of the toughest jobs in the country in my opinion. His mediocre record there is impressive, especially in light of how they’ve looked this year. Fritz has been successful everywhere’s he’s been so that tells me he has a good vision for what it takes in places with different constraints. While his offense has faltered at times at Tulane, he’s shown to actually commit to schemes and evolve to personnel as needed. The recruiting makes sense, it’s almost all Gulf Coast, Dallas, South Florida, and Tennessee with a heavy dose of local transfers like Clayton. He’s moved on from assistants as needed while also having a decent amount poached. He tends to replace them with coaches from his own tree and network with some up and comers like Gerald Chatman, which tells me he’s respected by the guys he’s worked with. Fritz is also very passionate, he seems to get a lot out of his players, and handles the media very well.

In a lot of ways, Fritz is exactly what CU hasn’t been and needed to be in the past few years. He’s not very high on my list mainly because of his age, lack of P5 experience, and my interest in other candidates. Bronco, for instance, I think brings much of the same upside and would be a better fit. At the very least, CU should consider what makes someone like Fritz successful in a difficult job. It’s not by thinking you’re going to somehow outsmart every other team. It’s mainly by doing the things you can control well.
Plus, fire Fritz rolls off the tongue like silk....

Super insightful post on Fritz! Definitely not high on my list either but he wouldn't be a KD or Mike Sanford type hire so he's got that going for him, which is nice.

Thing I'd be most curious about is why he hasn't gotten a shot at a P5 school after being pretty successful in the lower tiers.

Tulane is a tough place to win. High academic focus, limited alumni support for athletics, and lots of larger programs fighting for the local talent. That said, the admin at Tulane is willing to do more to field a winner than the admin at CU is.

Tulane is a tough place to win. High academic focus, limited alumni support for athletics, and lots of larger programs fighting for the local talent. That said, the admin at Tulane is willing to do more to field a winner than the admin at CU is.
Such a low bar...

Back