What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nick Hirschman - Could he be a future star?

Prediction for Hirschman

• Future All-American

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Future All-Conference

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • Future Starter

Votes: 39 55.7%
  • Career Backup

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters
Ideally Hanson beats out Hirsh and plays well his Sr. year leading us to a bowl game. Hirsh or Burnette will be 2nd string and I am hoping both get to play in the mop games we have when we are blowing people out this year. It is all going to come down the OL because Speedy and Lock are going to do just fine at running the ball and making people miss on the 2nd level. WR's are in good shape with Clemons and Richardson. I think we just need a dominant OL that road grades for us early in games allowing us to do play action and boot legs. Boot legs is where Hanson should have the upper edge with his athletic ability. He should be deadly on the roll out pass/run option this year.

Projecting to the future, it would actually be better for Hirsch to win the starting job this year, since TH will be gone next year, and it would be nice to have someone with some meaningful game experience. However, TH may give us a better shot at wins this year though.

Projecting to the future, it would actually be better for Hirsch to win the starting job this year, since TH will be gone next year, and it would be nice to have someone with some meaningful game experience. However, TH may give us a better shot at wins this year though.

The best thing for this program is to play the QB that gives us the best chance to win in 2011. We graduate a huge senior class, so we really cannot afford to "wait 'til next year." Plus, this program really needs some positive momentum in the worst way. Starting Hirschman this year because it might be better for us in 2012 is just something we cannot afford right now.

The best thing for this program is to play the QB that gives us the best chance to win in 2011. We graduate a huge senior class, so we really cannot afford to "wait 'til next year." Plus, this program really needs some positive momentum in the worst way. Starting Hirschman this year because it might be better for us in 2012 is just something we cannot afford right now.

Agreed, if one QB clearly separates himself from the pack, that guy should be starting. However, in the event of a legit neck and neck race, wouldn't it be prudent to go with the guy who will be around for another year? That way you aren't doing a disservice to our chances this year, and you are ensuring that you have some experience for next year. Just one man's opinion.

I think he will start some games here or there, but probably won't be an entrenched starter. I can see him beating out Burnette next year for the job and then being replaced by one of the younger guys once they get the offense better. Hopefully I'm wrong, it sounds like he's a good fit for the WCO. I have a hard time seeing him being an all-conference type of guy in the P12 and how we plan on playing offense.

I want all four QB to compete and play at a high level. Tyler is the favourite, and hopefully he can fix the mistakes he made last year and play his best ball as a senior. The best thing for CU is to wait on naming a starter, wait untill fall practice, everyone should be on equal footing during spring practice. .

I want all four QB to compete and play at a high level. Tyler is the favourite, and hopefully he can fix the mistakes he made last year and play his best ball as a senior. The best thing for CU is to wait on naming a starter, wait untill fall practice, everyone should be on equal footing during spring practice. .

Hey soccer fan, in America, it's spelled favorite. Tallyho, Muthaka!

Got a Q for you recruiting gurus. If we land a 5* QB or 4* QB this cycle do the coaches sell playing time? Seems like we are loaded at QB (hopefully!). I'm pretty sure that Embo would start the best QB we have on our roster, but just because a recruit is a 4* or 5* doesn't mean squat. How do blue chip QBs that aren't going to a place like USC act, on average?

Got a Q for you recruiting gurus. If we land a 5* QB or 4* QB this cycle do the coaches sell playing time? Seems like we are loaded at QB (hopefully!). I'm pretty sure that Embo would start the best QB we have on our roster, but just because a recruit is a 4* or 5* doesn't mean squat. How do blue chip QBs that aren't going to a place like USC act, on average?

We will absolutely be selling an open competition.

And I have to believe that a Blue Chip QB will feel very confident going up against a JUCO who started at Middle Tennessee, a sophomore whose other reported offer was Harvard, and a RS-Freshman whose other reported offer was a JUCO. I happen to like our depth, but on paper it's not intimidating.

We will absolutely be selling an open competition.

And I have to believe that a Blue Chip QB will feel very confident going up against a JUCO who started at Middle Tennessee, a sophomore whose other reported offer was Harvard, and a RS-Freshman whose other reported offer was a JUCO. I happen to like our depth, but on paper it's not intimidating.

Klatt and CJ had an interesting conversation yesterday that bares some consideration for this subject. They had a conversation about how they're looking forward to the pro-style system the buffs will be running as opposed to the spreads where a team looks to the sideline for a check/audible before the ball is snapped. CJ and Klatt were both adamant about how beneficial it will be to CU offensive players that checks and audibles are made by the players on the field.

As it relates to this conversation, I think it will take time for players, especially qb's, to learn and execute our system.

Klatt and CJ had an interesting conversation yesterday that bares some consideration for this subject. They had a conversation about how they're looking forward to the pro-style system the buffs will be running as opposed to the spreads where a team looks to the sideline for a check/audible before the ball is snapped. CJ and Klatt were both adamant about how beneficial it will be to CU offensive players that checks and audibles are made by the players on the field.

As it relates to this conversation, I think it will take time for players, especially qb's, to learn and execute our system.

This can and should be a big selling point to top flight HS QBs. It is hard if not impossible to project a HS kid to the pros but the top flight HS QBs are thinking that direction. The Buffs will be able to sell them on having NFL proven coaches running a system that will get them ready for NFL competition. They can then point to the difficulties that a lot of spread QBs have had adjusting to the NFL despite huge college numbers.

Agreed, if one QB clearly separates himself from the pack, that guy should be starting. However, in the event of a legit neck and neck race, wouldn't it be prudent to go with the guy who will be around for another year? That way you aren't doing a disservice to our chances this year, and you are ensuring that you have some experience for next year. Just one man's opinion.
Just playing devil's advocate - the other side of the coin is that starting a freshman QB might not be good for recruiting.

Just playing devil's advocate - the other side of the coin is that starting a freshman QB might not be good for recruiting.

They can spin it anyway that works. If you started a freshman, you tell the high schooler: we started this guy, but if you can beat him, the job is yours, because he beat everybody else. The kid also realizes that he's very close to landing the position, because he no longer has to worry about any of the other guys on the roster.

I doubt it would happen, because I think the older guys will command the job this year. On a million levels, it will be very satisfying to see Tyler finally get the support he needs, and have the kind of year he should have.

This can and should be a big selling point to top flight HS QBs. It is hard if not impossible to project a HS kid to the pros but the top flight HS QBs are thinking that direction. The Buffs will be able to sell them on having NFL proven coaches running a system that will get them ready for NFL competition. They can then point to the difficulties that a lot of spread QBs have had adjusting to the NFL despite huge college numbers.

I agree, it should be an advantage we have in recruiting, but I'll be interested to see if it will trump the allure of facilities and the like. Or, it might just come down to how well our coaches can sell this point. A program like Mizzou could just point to the three qb's they've put in the league during Pinkel's time, and say the spread has no ill effects on qb development. Interesting to see how it plays out.

Back