What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nick Saban is retiring from coaching

Sounds like a man not long for college football either
world cup soccer GIF by PlayStation

No chance on Kirby Smart. Georgia is probably a better job and now he doesn’t have to compete with Saban.
Alabama has a mystique that UGA does not have. Kirby is already the greatest coach that’s ever coached in Athens. Being able to take the show to Tuscaloosa for stupid money would give him the chance to cement his legacy at another blue blood.

definitely feels like a changing of the guard type thing too.

harbaugh leaves um, saban retires, dabo can't manage the nil free agent world, sark on the rise, lane doing the work at ol miss.

no way smart or day move, right? they both are going to have open lanes ahead of them.

we gotta shot to be relevant.

Best coach I've ever seen and probably will ever see.

Saban not only won the chips and had consistently gaudy records, but he also did more to mentor, develop and rehab coaches than anyone I've ever seen. And he ran such a strong operation that he achieved so much for so long without scandal.

He's 1 of 1 in my book.

Saban not only won the chips and had consistently gaudy records, but he also did more to mentor, develop and rehab coaches than anyone I've ever seen. And he ran such a strong operation that he achieved so much for so long without scandal.

He's 1 of 1 in my book.
I can’t argue with that. He is simply the best there ever was. The more interesting debate is where he belongs in the pantheon of great coaches in all sports.

He's 1 of 1 in my book.
On a level with Coach K.

i would rank saban as the greatest head coach ever. he made me hate bama a fraction less because he was so good for so long.

plus we are in the cat bird seat right now, enjpying the carnage that will transpire and which we will not be subjected to. thanks for that, too, saban.

I can’t argue with that. He is simply the best there ever was. The more interesting debate is where he belongs in the pantheon of great coaches in all sports.

No doubt in my book. And I think that Americans usually tend to exaggerate when they say "all sports", but Saban's consistent and continuous exellence over roughly a decade and a half means he doesn't have to hide from anyone. He wasn't the most influential coach and didn't change the game like others have, but over the last 15 years or so Alabama was just a a machine that was churning out ten win season after ten win season.

Lanning is the obvious top target but the quesiton is will they want to pay that big buyout.
Sark - Doubtful he would leave Texas
Kirby - Not happening
Dabo - Not happening
Kiffin - Not happening
DeBoer - Doesn't seem like a fit
Norvell - possible
Freeman - doubtful
Franklin - lol

Hot take: The Alabama job is a poison chalice for anyone who directly succeeds Saban. It's a great program with all the resources you can possibly want, but realistically the chance that you fail there is absurdly high as whoever takes it will be measured by the standards Saban set and failing to meet those standards has driven influential people across the SEC nuts over the last decade and resulted in some very irrational decisions. When people who cast a shadow as large as the one Saban casts and who have held their roles for as long as Saban has leave their roles the direct successor usually fails and does so quickly. And in the SEC everything is on steroids.

No doubt in my book. And I think that Americans usually tend to exaggerate when they say "all sports", but Saban's consistent and continuous exellence over roughly a decade and a half means he doesn't have to hide from anyone. He wasn't the most influential coach and didn't change the game like others have, but over the last 15 years or so Alabama was just a a machine that was churning out ten win season after ten win season.

He certainly belongs in the same paragraph as Bill Belichick, Phil Jackson, John Wooden, Bear Bryant, Red Auerbach and Vince Lombardi.

i wonder what it would be like to be bama and know you can pretty much pick whatever coach you want next.

20mm buyout is nothing to them. and lanning has the ego to take on the challenge. he probably will get like 100mm guaranteed or more.

plus, when lanning cries like a lad who lost his binky when he is inevitably fired for not being nick will be more glory.

Back