What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nick Saban is retiring from coaching

Hot take: The Alabama job is a poison chalice for anyone who directly succeeds Saban. It's a great program with all the resources you can possibly want, but realistically the chance that you fail there is absurdly high as whoever takes it will be measured by the standards Saban set and failing to meet those standards has driven influential people across the SEC nuts over the last decade and resulted in some very irrational decisions. When people who cast a shadow as large as the one Saban casts and who have held their roles for as long as Saban has leave their roles the direct successor usually fails and does so quickly. And in the SEC everything is on steroids.
Hot Take: Expectations at every blue blood and wannabe blue blood are extremely high and if a coach isn’t competing for Nattys year in, year out, they are on the hot seat. Ask Ryan Day, Harbaugh before Connor Stallions, Lincoln Riley at SC, every coach at Texas, Venables after year one at OU, Taggart at FSU, Jimbo at aTm, Coach O at LSU, etc.

While it’s logical, I think too much is being made of this narrative at the moment. Alabama is a turnkey national championship job for a great coach. Yes, that guy will have to win big in short order, but that’s the case at every top program serious about winning Nattys

I was kind of thinking that they likely have someone lined up or know 2-3 candidates who would say yes pretty quickly. No way they drag anything out and let the current players and commits opt to leave

I kinda wonder how long this has been in the works and when Saban first thought about retiring after this season and when he first shared his thoughts with the AD.

It's good timing to wait until today, btw. Let Michigan and Harbaugh have their day in the sun first before dropping this bombshell on newsrooms.

Hot take: The Alabama job is a poison chalice for anyone who directly succeeds Saban. It's a great program with all the resources you can possibly want, but realistically the chance that you fail there is absurdly high as whoever takes it will be measured by the standards Saban set and failing to meet those standards has driven influential people across the SEC nuts over the last decade and resulted in some very irrational decisions. When people who cast a shadow as large as the one Saban casts and who have held their roles for as long as Saban has leave their roles the direct successor usually fails and does so quickly. And in the SEC everything is on steroids.
I don’t think that‘s a particularly hot take.

perfect timing. pirate all the best from the ashes!

i bet the rumors that they already have the successor lined up are true.

Lanning is the obvious top target but the quesiton is will they want to pay that big buyout.
Sark - Doubtful he would leave Texas
Kirby - Not happening
Dabo - Not happening
Kiffin - Not happening
DeBoer - Doesn't seem like a fit
Norvell - possible
Freeman - doubtful
Franklin - lol
It better not be Norvell.

We live in a day and age where coaches are getting paid 75m to NOT coach for someone, less than a third of that will not be a hinderance.

Alabama doesn't have the deep pockets that A&M has. But if Lanning is their choice and he is willing to leave Oregon then the boosters will definitely find a way to make it happen.

Guys that would coach at Bama have huge egos and wouldn't flinch at the potential glory of taking over that program
I don’t doubt that there will be several willing candidates. The likelihood of any of them succeeding at a level that will be acceptable there is pretty slim, IMO. Not unlike USC after Carroll.

Hot Take: Expectations at every blue blood and wannabe blue blood are extremely high and if a coach isn’t competing for Nattys year in, year out, they are on the hot seat. Ask Ryan Day, Harbaugh before Connor Stallions, Lincoln Riley at SC, every coach at Texas, Venables after year one at OU, Taggart at FSU, Jimbo at aTm, Coach O at LSU, etc.

While it’s logical, I think too much is being made of this narrative at the moment. Alabama is a turnkey national championship job for a great coach. Yes, that guy will have to win big in short order, but that’s the case at every top program serious about winning Nattys

I'll give you Day, but some of the other guys you mention had records not that much over .500 for a while before they got fired or came under intense criticism. I think there were legit reasons for criticism and some of those guys would have been criticised even at CU given the gap between the resources and the on-field product.

I'll give you Day, but some of the other guys you mention had records not that much over .500 for a while before they got fired or came under intense criticism. I think there were legit reasons for criticism and some of those guys would have been criticised even at CU given the gap between the resources and the on-field product.
Agreed but my point was that Bama is just back with every other elite program not named Georgia or Michigan where of their coach doesn’t win he’ll be on the hot seat. You think LSU keeps Brian Kelly around if he goes 9-3 or even 10-2 next year? There are some programs that will keep a coach around forever winning 9-10 games/year, and there are few that will be looking to move on if they aren’t 11-12/year (regular season). Bama is one of them whether the guy is following Saban or not.

Hell, even Saban wasn't meeting the standard and Bama folks were becoming increasingly disgruntled. This was the first time since he's been there that he's gone 3 straight years without winning the national championship and the Tide faithful were getting restless.

I don’t do twitter, so someone fix this, but this thread needs a flight tracker tweet.

I hate twitter.

Anyway, theyve started with the private jet tracking from Eugene to Tuscaloosa.

Edit: See below. And no I will not learn how to embed tweets.

Last edited:
Fuuuccckkk oregon
Season 5 Fox GIF by New Girl

Back