What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nick Saban is retiring from coaching

A skinny white dude, blowing cigar smoke, trying to look gangsta is baller? Damn, I'm getting old.
Having the entire CFB world talking about you being the guy to replace Nick Saban, people doing flight trackers from Eugene to Tuscaloosa, local news in both places talking about your whereabouts, etc and you put out a video that reaffirms commitment to Oregon, AND TURNS IT INTO A RECRUITING PITCH AT THE SAME TIME, is ****ing baller. If Lanning was CU's coach, we'd all love that guy whether people want to admit it or not.

Having the entire CFB world talking about you being the guy to replace Nick Saban, people doing flight trackers from Eugene to Tuscaloosa, local news in both places talking about your whereabouts, etc and you put out a video that reaffirms commitment to Oregon, AND TURNS IT INTO A RECRUITING PITCH AT THE SAME TIME, is ****ing baller. If Lanning was CU's coach, we'd all love that guy whether people want to admit it or not.
Regardless, he's still a douchebag.

If we did a "greatest coach ever regardless of sport" then Wooden is absolutely within that group with Saban, Pat Summit and a handful of others who someone could say is the GOAT and fully justify & defend their opinion. It may be subjective, but the number of coaches who are reasonable choices is hyper select.
I respectfully disagree. Saban is the best college football coach, but he did not turn Alabama into a blue blood in football, Bear Bryant did that. Pat Summit took over a solid Tennessee program, turned into the top women's basketball program and is one of the two top women's college basketball coaches ever (along with Geno Auriemma). Wooden took a dormant UCLA program, started from the ground up and literally changed it into a blue blood program. Winning 10 National Championships in 11 years is the elite of the elite.
Granted I am a bit of a fan. A few years after I moved to LA, I met Coach Wooden at a UCLA game in 2004. A friend of mine is an actor and the "voice of NBC". His mother-in-law's 80th birthday was coming up the following week and she loved coach Wooden. I asked him if he would sign a ball for her, her name was Ruth. He signed Happy 80th Birthday Ruth along with a message. Mind you, there were literally hundreds of people who would line up to meet him at each game, at the time he attended every home game. I attended another game 4 months later, I was walking to the snack area and I hear this voice "Jason, hey Jason, come here". It was Coach Wooden. I walked over, shook his hand and he said "Did Ruth enjoy her Birthday message". Unbelievable! He was in his 90's and mind sharp as a tack.
Wooden.jpg

That Lanning tweet is an entire contradiction and I hate him.

1) His whole speech about wins not clicks. **** him
2) He talks about commitment and goals and in the actual video it says 'if you're worried your coach is leaving, then come here'. WTF. **** him

A guy who thinks “The Discord” is a group of buff fans is wholly unqualified to have an opinion on what constitutes “baller”. Even the word is cringe and dated.

Lanning is a snivelly f****** queef who was breastfed til 21. Only a beta simp soyboy gets his wife’s face tattooed on himself. Nothing is more offensive than a peacocking beta and it’s a shame it didn’t get hazed out of him in his definite frat history tbh

A guy who thinks “The Discord” is a group of buff fans is wholly unqualified to have an opinion on what constitutes “baller”. Even the word is cringe and dated.

Lanning is a snivelly f****** queef. Only a beta simp soyboy gets his wife’s face tattooed on himself. Nothing is more offensive than a peacocking beta and it’s a shame it didn’t get hazed out of him in his definite frat history tbh
Hey, at the end of the day, you're still a ****ing dork on an anonymous message board same as me, so kindly **** off, Les

Lanning is a snivelly f****** queef who was breastfed til 21. Only a beta simp soyboy gets his wife’s face tattooed on himself. Nothing is more offensive than a peacocking beta and it’s a shame it didn’t get hazed out of him in his definite frat history tbh

Hey, at the end of the day, you're still a ****ing dork on an anonymous message board same as me, so kindly **** off, Les
Les with the random nuclear assault. I like it, although I have to deduct points for repeated use of beta. Yak with an adequate yet depressing riposte. Les takes the victory, but it was a blindside sucker punch of a post.

Thanks Les, taking notes....queef, soyboy, beta, got it.

I always feel sad for those who categorize the world in alpha/beta. It's like a beacon of insecurity.
I appreciate Les for adopting the schtick and speaking the language of the insecure. It's amusing. But we must have standards.

Geez, you didn't need to put Les in a body bag, we were just messing around!
Game Of Thrones Ugh GIF

I respectfully disagree. Saban is the best college football coach, but he did not turn Alabama into a blue blood in football, Bear Bryant did that. Pat Summit took over a solid Tennessee program, turned into the top women's basketball program and is one of the two top women's college basketball coaches ever (along with Geno Auriemma). Wooden took a dormant UCLA program, started from the ground up and literally changed it into a blue blood program. Winning 10 National Championships in 11 years is the elite of the elite.
Granted I am a bit of a fan. A few years after I moved to LA, I met Coach Wooden at a UCLA game in 2004. A friend of mine is an actor and the "voice of NBC". His mother-in-law's 80th birthday was coming up the following week and she loved coach Wooden. I asked him if he would sign a ball for her, her name was Ruth. He signed Happy 80th Birthday Ruth along with a message. Mind you, there were literally hundreds of people who would line up to meet him at each game, at the time he attended every home game. I attended another game 4 months later, I was walking to the snack area and I hear this voice "Jason, hey Jason, come here". It was Coach Wooden. I walked over, shook his hand and he said "Did Ruth enjoy her Birthday message". Unbelievable! He was in his 90's and mind sharp as a tack.
View attachment 69045
That's fair. But I think we downplay how hard it is to create dynastic runs within modern sports landscape. Like how some people reduce their rating of Phil Jackson because of MJ/Scottie and Shaq/Kobe. There's also a huge skill involved in managing those egos, money & celebrity to get guys to focus on team, build chemistry and stay together when they hit some tough stretches.

That's fair. But I think we downplay how hard it is to create dynastic runs within modern sports landscape. Like how some people reduce their rating of Phil Jackson because of MJ/Scottie and Shaq/Kobe. There's also a huge skill involved in managing those egos, money & celebrity to get guys to focus on team, build chemistry and stay together when they hit some tough stretches.
Come on, not like it was hard to keep Rodman on the planet. Just let him go to vegas for a couple days and boom, perfect teammate again.

I kinda wonder how long this has been in the works and when Saban first thought about retiring after this season and when he first shared his thoughts with the AD.

It's good timing to wait until today, btw. Let Michigan and Harbaugh have their day in the sun first before dropping this bombshell on newsrooms.
The $700mm dealerships purchase and being loose with reporters and fans were the signals.

Back