What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nick Saban is retiring from coaching

So I’ll guess that Alabama knew Saban was leaving which is why the DeBoer hire happened so fast. Seems like UW rightly caught a whiff of it too.

To answer your earlier question about DeBoer going to Bama for money, my answer is no, that wasn't the driving factor. UW offered to double his salary to around $9m/year, which I am assuming is in the ball park of what Alabama is paying him. As others have said, Alabama is a top 3-5 job in the sport. Following the GOAT may not be viewed as desirable, but honestly, even the next guy after DeBoer isn't going to live up to Saban and fan expectations. It becomes a normal blue blood job where the HC will be on the hot seat if they aren't winning Nattys, just like Ohio State, Texas, Florida, LSU, etc.

Washington just isn't a top tier job.

To answer your earlier question about DeBoer going to Bama for money, my answer is no, that wasn't the driving factor. UW offered to double his salary to around $9m/year, which I am assuming is in the ball park of what Alabama is paying him. As others have said, Alabama is a top 3-5 job in the sport. Following the GOAT may not be viewed as desirable, but honestly, even the next guy after DeBoer isn't going to live up to Saban and fan expectations. It becomes a normal blue blood job where the HC will be on the hot seat if they aren't winning Nattys, just like Ohio State, Texas, Florida, LSU, etc.

Just look at how frustrated tOSU fans are with Day since he's followed Urban and the table has flipped on beating Michigan. If DeBoer goes 10-2 or 11-1 for a few years while losing to Auburn, fans will want to fire him. Going back, it cost Solich his job at Nebraska despite him averaging a hair under 10 wins per year (was 9-3 his last year & they made a coaching change prior to their bowl game). Hard to follow a program legend coach. Heck, it's hard to be a program legend coach and go through a few seasons of being really good but not up to your elite season standards - Dabo's probably on the hot seat if his 2024 team goes 8-4/9-3.

Just look at how frustrated tOSU fans are with Day since he's followed Urban and the table has flipped on beating Michigan. If DeBoer goes 10-2 or 11-1 for a few years while losing to Auburn, fans will want to fire him. Going back, it cost Solich his job at Nebraska despite him averaging a hair under 10 wins per year (was 9-3 his last year & they made a coaching change prior to their bowl game). Hard to follow a program legend coach. Heck, it's hard to be a program legend coach and go through a few seasons of being really good but not up to your elite season standards - Dabo's probably on the hot seat if his 2024 team goes 8-4/9-3.
Yep, such is life at that level with those expectations. It doesn’t really matter if you follow the legend or not. Nebraska gave Frost more time than he deserved because he was their golden boy, but they’ve been running every coach out for years.

Why is Florida always brought up as a “Blue Blood”

Why is Florida always brought up as a “Blue Blood”
We could debate the criteria for being a BB all day long , but I'll just say that if fans insist USC is one, it's hard to leave UF out.

Yes, they have less MNCs than USC, but Florida has fans who actually show up for the games.

Reggie Bush made a comment last week I think basically saying that Nick Saban quit because NIL and transfer portal made it so he no longer had the grip on most of the 5* talent in a given year. Other CFB people have insinuated that Alabama's NIL has actually been pretty weak relative to other programs because they had Saban and that was their "NIL" inducement.

It's actually pretty crazy watching the exodus in Tuscaloosa. I have a feeling Bama AD, Saban and DeBoer thought that by keeping Saban in the fold with the program as an advisor and having him endorse DeBoer with current players and recruits, that they wouldn't really deal with this issue like they have.

Almost as if those kids and recruits are asking themselves what the **** they're doing in Tuscaloosa if Nick Saban isn't going to be their coach. This happening right as Texas and OU are joining the SEC is glorious. 8-4 if they're lucky next year, IMO.

Reggie Bush made a comment last week I think basically saying that Nick Saban quit because NIL and transfer portal made it so he no longer had the grip on most of the 5* talent in a given year. Other CFB people have insinuated that Alabama's NIL has actually been pretty weak relative to other programs because they had Saban and that was their "NIL" inducement.

It's actually pretty crazy watching the exodus in Tuscaloosa. I have a feeling Bama AD, Saban and DeBoer thought that by keeping Saban in the fold with the program as an advisor and having him endorse DeBoer with current players and recruits, that they wouldn't really deal with this issue like they have.

Almost as if those kids and recruits are asking themselves what the **** they're doing in Tuscaloosa if Nick Saban isn't going to be their coach. This happening right as Texas and OU are joining the SEC is glorious. 8-4 if they're lucky next year, IMO.

Wow.

Alabama NIL is not great by comparison to other programs. The GOAT was their glue. The other issue has been that Bama bag men wanted to launder money, not actually have their payments reported to the IRS.

The other issue has been that Bama bag men wanted to launder money, not actually have their payments reported to the IRS.
shocked philip j fry GIF

DeBoer went thru the same thing 2 years ago when he took the UW job and that turned out OK, plus this is pretty typical after a coaching change. And there'll be alot more movement nationally with the Spring portal window.

I'm not saying that Bama's not gonna miss a beat because that is highly unlikely. In addition to all the personnel and staff changes the schedule next year is not very forgiving with road games at Wisconson, Tenn, LSU and OU. Plus a home date with Georgia.

Shining Stephen King GIF

A Crimson Tide, if you will

Alabama NIL is not great by comparison to other programs. The GOAT was their glue. The other issue has been that Bama bag men wanted to launder money, not actually have their payments reported to the IRS.
I never thought about how the "Hillbilly Mafia" (using that term generally, not a specific group which might go by that) is likely tied into college sports and the shadow booster networks that bought the talent before NIL. That would be hard to convert to over the table Collectives and endorsements. Interesting.

I never thought about how the "Hillbilly Mafia" (using that term generally, not a specific group which might go by that) is likely tied into college sports and the shadow booster networks that bought the talent before NIL. That would be hard to convert to over the table Collectives and endorsements. Interesting.

Dixie Mafia​

Nix was a suspect in the attempted assassination of McNairy County, Tennessee Sheriff Buford Pusser, and in the murder of Pusser's wife. Nix was also convicted of murdering wealthy New Orleans grocery owner Frank Corso. At the time of the murder, Nix was believed to be employed by Darrel Ward in Clarksville, Texas. Ward was a noted associate of Chicago Mob boss Sam Giancana, and is thought to have controlled organized crime and bootlegging throughout Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Mississippi. The Dixie Mafia was strongly connected to the State Line Mob and its leader, Carl Douglas White.[5][6][7][8]

The Dixie Mafia developed a huge presence within the local law enforcement system. The Federal Bureau of Investigation reported on this infiltration: “It was out of control,” said retired Special Agent Keith Bell, referring to the level of corruption in Biloxi and Harrison County—so much so that in 1983 federal authorities would designate the entire Harrison County Sheriff’s Office as a criminal enterprise.”[13] The Dixie Mafia sheriffs and officers loyal to them “were doing anything and everything illegal down [there]... For money, [they] would release prisoners from the county jail, safeguard drug shipments, and hide fugitives. Anything you can think of, they were involved in.” In some locations the infiltration was so bad that “corrupt local sheriffs and deputies regularly extorted local businesses, aided prostitution, and in some cases murdered their political opponents in cold blood.”[14] The Dixie Mafia did an exceptional job of infiltrating law enforcement, taking over positions that would have naturally opposed their operations, making an exorbitant amount of money.

Dixie Mafia​

Nix was a suspect in the attempted assassination of McNairy County, Tennessee Sheriff Buford Pusser, and in the murder of Pusser's wife. Nix was also convicted of murdering wealthy New Orleans grocery owner Frank Corso. At the time of the murder, Nix was believed to be employed by Darrel Ward in Clarksville, Texas. Ward was a noted associate of Chicago Mob boss Sam Giancana, and is thought to have controlled organized crime and bootlegging throughout Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Mississippi. The Dixie Mafia was strongly connected to the State Line Mob and its leader, Carl Douglas White.[5][6][7][8]

The Dixie Mafia developed a huge presence within the local law enforcement system. The Federal Bureau of Investigation reported on this infiltration: “It was out of control,” said retired Special Agent Keith Bell, referring to the level of corruption in Biloxi and Harrison County—so much so that in 1983 federal authorities would designate the entire Harrison County Sheriff’s Office as a criminal enterprise.”[13] The Dixie Mafia sheriffs and officers loyal to them “were doing anything and everything illegal down [there]... For money, [they] would release prisoners from the county jail, safeguard drug shipments, and hide fugitives. Anything you can think of, they were involved in.” In some locations the infiltration was so bad that “corrupt local sheriffs and deputies regularly extorted local businesses, aided prostitution, and in some cases murdered their political opponents in cold blood.”[14] The Dixie Mafia did an exceptional job of infiltrating law enforcement, taking over positions that would have naturally opposed their operations, making an exorbitant amount of money.
Sheriffs being locally elected positions has always been a serious vulnerability in the law enforcement system.

Dixie Mafia​

I’ll be dammed. I thought that “Dixie Mafia” was just a Justified thing

We could debate the criteria for being a BB all day long , but I'll just say that if fans insist USC is one, it's hard to leave UF out.

Yes, they have less MNCs than USC, but Florida has fans who actually show up for the games.
Fans showing up doesnt make you a blue blood. Multiple conference championships and consecutivebbowl games against top 5 teams do.

They wouldn’t be locally elected to your point.
Not really. The point is that in many parts of the country, and especially the south, the counties are much smaller geopolitical units than is probably healthy. Within super small voting blocks, it's *much* easier for corruption to carry the day.

You're pretending that the only options available are "local" and "national," which is a false choice, especially when "local" = small enough that a reasonably well organized crime syndicate can "persuade" enough votes to "win" an election.

The best long term answer in those cases isn't federal control, oversight, etc, but simply combining bumfvck and podunk counties so that it's harder for one criminal enterprise to control it all, and so that they can combine resources and hire/train more competent law enforcement officers.

Anyway, it's still not all that surprising to me that some sec bag men are having a hard time adjusting to their activities being brought out of the shadows.

Fans showing up doesnt make you a blue blood. Multiple conference championships and consecutivebbowl games against top 5 teams do.
We can argue about the criteria for being a BB, what's in and how each are weighted,, but fan support is definitely one.

Back