What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NIL act passed - NCAA allows athletes to monetise their name, image, likeness

Nope.

Because we're not talking about the scholarship stipend money. We're talking about endorsement money. Even if the endorsement money for NFL 1st round pick QB is ever the same as the endorsement money available for being the star QB at a university, there's still the contract in the millions & the insurance policy on it which you only get on the NFL side of the ledger.
Maybe the sure fire first round picks won't think twice about going the league because their money is huge on the contract and endorsement side, but the borderline 1s and day 2 picks will have a lot to think about, especially if they think they can stay an extra year, make a few million in school and improve their draft stock.

Maybe the sure fire first round picks won't think twice about going the league because their money is huge on the contract and endorsement side, but the borderline 1s and day 2 picks will have a lot to think about, especially if they think they can stay an extra year, make a few million in school and improve their draft stock.
Not sure why the market value for a 2nd or 3rd day pick would be so much higher at a college. If so, maybe that helps the non-elites since they are much more likely to have stars whose measurables don't translate all that well to the next level.

Not sure why the market value for a 2nd or 3rd day pick would be so much higher at a college. If so, maybe that helps the non-elites since they are much more likely to have stars whose measurables don't translate all that well to the next level.
Because LaViska Shenault-caliber players are still elite college players who are worth a lot to various college programs.

Because LaViska Shenault-caliber players are still elite college players who are worth a lot to various college programs.
Viska got a signing bonus of over $3M. Then he's got whatever endorsements his agent could line up along with a contract that sets him up for millions of dollars per year for the next several years. We are never going to see guys in that position deciding that college is a better deal for them due to NIL money. That's a pipe dream fantasy of folks who are trying to envision a future where football fans across the nation are just as interested in watching Alabama vs Texas as they are in watching NY Giants vs NE Patriots.

Viska got a signing bonus of over $3M. Then he's got whatever endorsements his agent could line up along with a contract that sets him up for millions of dollars per year for the next several years. We are never going to see guys in that position deciding that college is a better deal for them due to NIL money. That's a pipe dream fantasy of folks who are trying to envision a future where football fans across the nation are just as interested in watching Alabama vs Texas as they are in watching NY Giants vs NE Patriots.
Fair enough. Maybe this is fantasy as things stand now, but if programs break away from the schools and get rid of eligibility limits, I'm not sure what's stopping the multi billion dollar CFB industry from being an NFL competitor

...That's a pipe dream fantasy of folks who are trying to envision a future where football fans across the nation are just as interested in watching Alabama vs Texas as they are in watching NY Giants vs NE Patriots.
I'm not sure the gap is as big as you're suggesting. I couldn't quickly find the TV viewership numbers for those four teams, but the home attendance differential is profoundly in favor of the two college teams. This is average home attendance (2021 season, to date):
  • Alabama, 99k
  • Texas, 92k
  • NY Giants, 74k
  • NE Patriots, 66k

I'm not sure the gap is as big as you're suggesting. I couldn't quickly find the TV viewership numbers for those four teams, but the home attendance differential is profoundly in favor of the two college teams. This is average home attendance (2021 season, to date):
  • Alabama, 99k
  • Texas, 92k
  • NY Giants, 74k
  • NE Patriots, 66k
I'm not sure what home attendance averages have to do with this. Especially since the ticket prices for NFL are so much higher and they're not basically giving away 10k+ to students, faculty, etc.

I'm not sure what home attendance averages have to do with this. Especially since the ticket prices for NFL are so much higher and they're not basically giving away 10k+ to students, faculty, etc.
I think home attendance is one indication of "the number of people interested" in watching those games. I do think TV ratings would be even more indicative.

KD actually spoke quite candidly on NIL in his presser. Basically said the game has already changed to where recruits and their parents are asking what the university can offer in regards to NIL deals. Says CU needs to be progressive, and forward thinking, or run the risk of being left behind. Don’t have the money other programs have, so need to be creative and forward thinking.

KD actually spoke quite candidly on NIL in his presser. Basically said the game has already changed to where recruits and their parents are asking what the university can offer in regards to NIL deals. Says CU needs to be progressive, and forward thinking, or run the risk of being left behind. Don’t have the money other programs have, so need to be creative and forward thinking.
Wish he would have said they are being progressive and forward thinking.

They’re already behind. Way behind.

Sorry, already posted... Feeling like a shakedown to me. I doubt it's meant that way, but this is what fanbases have going forward. Top players are "reaching out".

Last edited:
Sorry if already posted, but the university should do what it can to get Jeremy Bloom creatively contracted with CU in some form or fashion to get his NIL story and entrepreneurial talents to work for our student athletes.

Sorry, already posted... Feeling like a shakedown to me. I doubt it's meant that way, but this is what fanbases have going forward. Top players are "reaching out".
College football is becoming just an extension of social media. Happened in recruiting a while ago and now it’s spreading. Fans over 40 are headed for the door….

NIL and the portal will sink all schools outside of the top 15. For CU, the best outcome would be that 2-7 stratification.

Let USC, Oregon, Mich, OSU, and Clemson walk and rally the second tier around a strong and efficient NCAA 2.0 governance, amateurism, and a coaching salary cap.

The powers driving this are undervaluing the nature of their original product. Amateurism, tradition, pageantry, University-based rivalries, and the long laughed at student-athlete dynamic.

College football is becoming just an extension of social media. Happened in recruiting a while ago and now it’s spreading. Fans over 40 are headed for the door….

We are in uncharted waters at this point. High school athletes in some states can earn NIL deals too so high school sports isn't safe from this change either.

This is one of the times where we either accept the reality of tomorrow or live in the past. I'm noticing myself that I'm becoming more casual towards football in general. I'm less interested in the players and more interested in the team winning.

It is going to take a couple of years of these dumb NIL deals before it either corrects itself or someone in government puts the kibosh on it. There is no earthly way some high school QB's NIL is worth 7 figures legitimately.

This has gone way beyond just paying players to be in a video game or for pictures/autographs.

It is going to take a couple of years of these dumb NIL deals before it either corrects itself or someone in government puts the kibosh on it. There is no earthly way some high school QB's NIL is worth 7 figures legitimately.

This has gone way beyond just paying players to be in a video game or for pictures/autographs.
When the entire system is built on the player having the choice of where to play, this is what you get when it’s allowed by the rules of the sport. It’s Capitalism at its finest

How in the world will the government tell anybody that they can’t enter into voluntary NIL contracts? They’re just going to ban advertising?

I wish the NCAA would have some kind of NIL tracker for each player. It'd be nice to see how much everybody is actually making.

How in the world will the government tell anybody that they can’t enter into voluntary NIL contracts? They’re just going to ban advertising?
Yeah, the government is not going to get in the way of players making a buck. In fact, the Supreme Court has already weighed in on the Alston case, where Justice Kavanaugh wrote:

“The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America.”

Kavanaugh took direct aim against the logic that the schools and fans have always had an amateur, unpaid system, writing that “all of the restaurants in a region cannot come together to cut cooks’ wages on the theory that ‘customers prefer’ to eat food from low-paid cooks. ... Hospitals cannot agree to cap nurses’ income in order to create a ‘purer’ form of helping the sick. ... Price-fixing labor is price-fixing labor.” He added that “it is not clear how the NCAA can legally defend its remaining compensation rules,” and concludes thusly: “The NCAA is not above the law.”

In other words, players are going to get their money, and I think it’s a reasonable leap that the courts are going to view players as paid employees of the universities.

Everything is on the table and college football is over as everyone knew it. If schools have to give up most of the cash to coaches and players, yet face all the downside risks, there will be little incentive to keep playing the college football game. Many will exit.

Honestly, the only issue I have with anything going on is that I think boosters should not be able to collectively work to create NIL programs. You as a booster own a car dealership and want to have a player be your marketing focus, by all means. But when you have places like Texas collectively grouping together and creating massive NIL programs, that’s where the real inequity comes into play. Yes the inequalities will still exist but I think it’s magnified when they create collectives. Otherwise, I have zero issue with any NIL money going to players no matter how much it is.

Creating these booster funded NIL programs makes it a recruiting tool and that’s what opens the floodgates

Back