1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NIT bid: what has to happen? (MBB & WBB)

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Men's Basketball

• NIT is a 32-team field
    • Any conference champion that didn't make the Dance (lost in conf tourney in a 1-bid league) is an auto-bid for NIT
    • No official requirement that a team has a .500 or better record, but every selection has had one
    • In 2014, the field included 13 auto-bids, the lowest RPI of any at-large was WVU at #88, and every team had a winning record

Buffs, right now, are 14-15 on the season. RPI is at #108. Road and neutral wins count strongly in RPI, so if the Buffs get to the win total they'll have a good shot at making it.

Here's what it probably takes:

Win at #150 Washington State (15-15)
    Win in Pac-12 tourney vs probably #96 Cal (16-15)
    Win in Pac-12 tourney vs #7 Arizona (17-15)
    Can lose after that. Losing close to Arizona would give a slim hope, but probably not enough.

Other post-season would be the CBI (16 team field). 16-16 would definitely get CU into that if the Buffs chose to play in it. Historically, no Pac-12 teams play in the CIT so we can pretty much ignore that one.

Women's Basketball

• NIT is a 64-team field
    • 32 auto-bids (1 from each conference - highest finisher that didn't make Dance)
    • 32 at-large bids (heavily weighted to RPI)
    • Official requirement to be .500 or better

Buffs, right now, are 15-16 on the season.

A win over Cal in the semis would get the Buffs to 16-16 and put them into the Pac-12 Finals. With a win there, they'd be in the Dance. With a loss, they'd have a losing record and miss the WNIT.

Odds are that the Pac-12 ends up with the following:

5 NCAA bids (Oregon State, Arizona State, Stanford, Cal, Washington), as all are Top 30 RPI entering P12T
    NIT auto-bid goes to Washington State (7th place in Pac-12 and only other conference team with a record over .500)
    Only case for a NIT at-large is the USC team the Buffs just beat since they finished 15-15
    No other Pac-12 team would qualify (UCLA finished 6th and had a Top 10 SOS, but a losing record).

There is also a WBI tournament, but no Pac-12 team played in it last year. To give an idea of how low-brow that one is, Grand Canyon was 3rd place in the WAC and got a #1 seed. Field did not include a single P5 program.

It's NCAA or bust for the women.

(Edited after some more info on the WNIT - thanks BeBe - and last night's result)

Goose likes this.
  2. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Charleston Southern, lost their conference tourney. 1st NIT Autobid.

3. wyobuff

wyobuff Well-Known Member

No P12 teams unless your mascot is the beavers. They've been in 3 of the last 4 or something like that.

Also, I think tad has gone on record saying they'll play in any tournament.

4. Buffnik

I meant that no one plays in the CIT from the Pac-12. Beavers were CBI fixtures.

Will be interesting to see if Tad would play in the CIT. I suspect he might. It's a money sink and does nothing good for program prestige, but it seems like Tad feels like he's starting to turn a corner on reaching this team and establishing standards so he probably would love some additional practices and games before the offseason.

5. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

That's the CBI, not the CIT. 2 of the last 3.

6. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

I'd like extra games, personally.

7. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

If the Buffs beat WSU and Cal in the first round of the Pac 12 tourney, I could see the extra games possibly having merit.

8. ahoelsken

ahoelsken Well-Known Member

The CIT isn't an option-they only take small conference teams. The men are going to get a CBI invite. They invite 7-10 P5 teams a year, and they usually get anywhere from 2-4 because of the costs involved with hosting. Judging by Tad saying we're playing in whatever we get invited to, it doesn't sounds like thats an issue. Not only that, but I think we can get 8-9000 for these games and be fine. We'd need a run in the P12 tourney to make the NIT IMO.....probably the semis minimum.

9. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

The kittens are in our way of that though. Will be tough to make it to the semi's.

10. Gary Indiana

Gary Indiana Club Member Club Member

There's only one way into the the big boy tournament right now. Lets just do that instead.

11. PAHIBuff

PAHIBuff Club Member Club Member

Jesus Christ. Let's get some pride.

12. ahoelsken

ahoelsken Well-Known Member

Let's get some pride? Let's find a way to keep playing ball so our young talent can keep practicing and keep improving.

13. CVilleBuff

Yeah, I mean Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Utah, Virginia, Texas, Purdue, Pittsburgh, Oregon State, Wazzu, St. John's and other schools from big conferences have all played in the CBI since it began a few years back. Get some extra games and pick up some wins, not the end of the world. Teams have used it as a springboard for big things the following season, even the Final Four.

14. Buffnik

Women Buffs move to 15-16 now with the win over #8 ranked OSU.

Got to think a win in the semis tomorrow night against Cal or Washington would put the Buffs in good WNIT shape.

I think we'd rather play Washington even though it's kind of a home game for them. Cal is very talented and can beat teams in more ways than the Huskies.

15. BeBe

BeBe Club Member Club Member

If I read the WNIT rules right, Buffs WBB cannot play in the post-season WNIT. The automatic bid into the WNIT for the PAC won't be the Buffs. And the at large teams are required to have a .500 or better record and the only way the Buffs get there is to win the tourney .... which of course gets them the automatic bid into the NCAA.

16. Buffnik

Good find, BeBe. It's NCAA or bust for the women.

http://www.womensnit.com/event-info.html

17. CVilleBuff

So, now that we've backed ourselves into the CBI being our only realistic postseason option unless we're prepared to make the P12 final in Vegas (3 wins), how do you guys feel about it? As I've mentioned, I would go for it. Plenty of power conference teams have participated since it began a few years back. Is it weird entering a postseason tournament with a losing record? Sure, but it's not our problem they allow it. Give ourselves up to 6 extra games, perhaps face some schools from other major conferences or regional foes that we rarely if ever see. I just don't see a ton of downside to letting our younger guys get more experience to learn to step up. And hell, we could turn a ****ty 14-16 regular season into something more positive heading into the offseason. This has been a springboard for solid following seasons for many teams. I'm on board, especially if we beat Oregon State. What say you?

18. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Assuming the game wouldn't be on a Thursday I'd be down for going if they hold it here in Boulder. That's kind of assuming they show up in Vegas and it's not a **** show.

Winning the CBI may not be a tremendous feat, but the team has issues it needs to resolve. Some of it can be addressed in the offseason, but some of it through more practices and games.

19. CVilleBuff

Say we beat Oregon State and lose to Oregon. So we'd be 15-17. Then went on a run and won the CBI and thus finished with 20 wins. Nothing spectacular, but we'd certainly feel far better heading into next season. Hell, even if we can just win enough to finish the season with a winning record. I would imagine we'd play a home game to start out the tournament, at the very least.

20. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I think the last 3 games have been huge for the team. I'm in favor of keeping the momentum going no matter what tourney we're in.

21. aghcsm

aghcsm Well-Known Member

Yes. Not sure we're quite ready for a significant tournament run, but finally may be coming together. IMO Scott healthy is the biggest factor and the younger guys starting to come around is next.

22. CVilleBuff

My thoughts exactly. If we go out and lose like 58-32 to Oregon State I'll change my tune, but if we see more of the same from the last 3 games then I think any tournament would prove valuable. Who knows, we might even devise an inbounds play. 30 second shot clock would be fun to see too.

Goose likes this.
  23. Eggon

Eggon Club Member Club Member

Gives us time to practice inbounding the ball, and improving our defense. I'm in, if they win a game or two. Let's not fold our tent first round of the PAC tourney. Gut check time....

There is talent on this team, how ever stubborn it is in appearing at times..... Work it Tad!

24. wyobuff

I think the past 3 games have been huge as well. It's also the first time in a long time (all season perhaps) that everyone's playing and no one is hurt.

25. CVilleBuff

Which is a big reason I think we should continue playing as long as we don't get clobbered by Oregon State. Games in which Josh can move into the leadership role and Dom + our sophomores continuing to grow would be great. Hell, we could have the company of teams like Michigan, Florida, Nebraska in it. Certainly some major conference squads will be present…they always are.

26. Hoops Fan

Hoops Fan Club Member Club Member

CU should take the opportunity to play if they get it ... Records and perceptions aside, game experience is the key to improvement.

27. wyobuff

I agree. One thing that I want to mention is that it's difficult for a post guy to take a leadership role on the team. As we've found this season, josh is very effective but if we dont have guards to get him the ball, it doesnt matter.

The future of this team is dom. (Or a PG that's not in the black & gold yet)