1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No bowl games Jan 1 st

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by rscmac, Jun 17, 2011.

1. rscmac

rscmac Club Member Club Member

Even though the nfl plays on sundays, shouldnt the ncaa still have a couple of early games played just for tradition alone?.

2. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

When I was growing up Jan 1 was a very special day. We got up, had breakfast, went to church, and when I got home I locked in front of the TV for a daylong blast of college football intense enough to hold me over for a few months.

Now with the big bowls spread out over what seems like an eternity there is no clear definate end to the season and I am left in limbo.

Even with NFL games there should be a bunch of college bowls on Jan 1. I wouldn't be watching the NFL if that were the case.

3. CUinDC

CUinDC Member

Haven't they always done this? I remember going to a Jan 2nd Rose Bowl when I was younger (both parents Michigan grads).

4. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Yes I'm pretty sure they've done the same thing in the past. The same situation occurred in 1977 when the Broncos went to their first Super Bowl and the conference championship games were on Jan. 1st which was a Sunday, and I believe the bowl games were played on Monday since that was the observed holiday.

5. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Bowl season sucks now. Back in the 80's there were only a total of like 14 bowls and half of them played on New Years day. The only bowls after New Years day were Senior bowls. I remember a 7 win CU team not getting invited to a bowl.

6. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

It used to be a classic set up -- Sugar Bowl on New Years Eve, followed by (in order) the Cotton Bowl (mid-day), Rose Bowl (mid-afternoon), and Orange Bowl (evening) on January 1st. Later, the Fiesta Bowl was added and was played in the late afternoon of the 1st.

I can't even keep track of the bowls played on NYD anymore, just too many of them.

7. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

+1...I miss those days you speak of.

8. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Also used to have the Gator bowl, Tangerine bowl, and the Sun bowl on Jan 1 so if one game got a little boring you had an option to turn to.

9. buffwoman526

buffwoman526 Club Member Club Member

What happens if there is no NFL? College football should be able to fill that day with some decent football.

10. rscmac

rscmac Club Member Club Member

i would much rather watch the capitol one bowl over say bills vs browns or some other nfl game that means nothing in the playoff race. I also miss the old days of waking up at 10am and games are already on and you dont stop untill 10pm it was a great family day of football.

11. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

They imposed themselves on Jan 1st later on. I'm just remembering a time when NYD was a pure symphony of college football. 3 classic bowls, 3 (usually) good match ups, and at the end of it all, you were sated. It was allsome.