What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

No moral victories

Not that, though sure. I just don’t want to see OSU and WSU decimated. They deserve better. This whole conference situation sucks, man. And screw USC and UCLA forever. I call for a pox on them!

I’d imagine OSU and WSU will land somewhere.
Who gives a ****? The conference and it's fans have nobody but their own ****ty leadership to blame.

Hard for me to feel bad for the two schools who were probably USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington's biggest enablers. I don't want them in the Big 12.

I don’t consider backups at any level “elite college football players”. That’s my point. We brought in a bunch of backups and rotational guys from other P5 programs to get this roster back on the level of a competitive P5 program. In order to make the jump to a playoff caliber program, they’ll need to bring in standout starters from other programs.
Georgia has entered the Chat...

I think he will pull them in.

Does all the national spotlight of being on Fox Big Noon kickoff, ESPN and all help bring those ripoté guys here? I’m thinking it has to help.
To this point, only some elite players at mid P5/G5 programs have opted to transfer to blue blood type programs, for both big money deals and the chance to play at the highest level. CU can certainly offer playing at the highest level, but in all likelihood isn’t offering what the top programs in the country are offering from a financial standpoint.

When you consider CU’s biggest areas of weakness (OL/DL) the elite players at those positions either don’t transfer away from established power programs, or are highly prioritized by top programs.

My broader point is that I believe a competitive team can be built through the portal like CU has done, but I’m not sure if they can rely on the portal to find more Travis Hunter/Shedeur Sanders caliber players to take them to the next level. I believe High School recruiting will need to be a bigger emphasis than originally thought.

Georgia's DL is so elite and full of depth I believe one of their backups transferred to FSU and then was a first round pick in the NFL Draft. My point is yes there absolutely is talent to take from the 2 deep of Alabama, Texas, Georgia, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, LSU and we need to get a few of those guys to come in and compete again next year on the OL/DL. 1 Blue chip/ 1st RD NFL Grade at OT and DT would make a world of difference.

Georgia's DL is so elite and full of depth I believe one of their backups transferred to FSU and then was a first round pick in the NFL Draft. My point is yes there absolutely is talent to take from the 2 deep of Alabama, Texas, Georgia, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, LSU and we need to get a few of those guys to come in and compete again next year on the OL/DL. 1 Blue chip/ 1st RD NFL Grade at OT and DT would make a world of difference.
Bear Alexander was probably the highest profile OL/DL transfer in the offseason. USC bought him for a high price tag and he’s graded out as middle of the road on a mediocre USC defense. You overrate the guys who can’t get on the field much at places like Georgia. Those programs recruit over their current depth on a year to year basis.

Championship defensive lines aren’t going to be built through the portal

I don’t consider backups at any level “elite college football players”. That’s my point. We brought in a bunch of backups and rotational guys from other P5 programs to get this roster back on the level of a competitive P5 program. In order to make the jump to a playoff caliber program, they’ll need to bring in standout starters from other programs.
Agreed, and that was something of a footnote in my response. I'm not talking guys like McClendon who are Juniors that have been passed by on the depth chart. I was looking more to the high end freshmen who didn't start year 1. More important are those first two categories of high impact players looking for a bigger platform. You'll also have guys going through coaching changes looking for a fresh start. In any case, you'll see guys enter the portal seeking out Coach Prime.

To this point, only some elite players at mid P5/G5 programs have opted to transfer to blue blood type programs, for both big money deals and the chance to play at the highest level. CU can certainly offer playing at the highest level, but in all likelihood isn’t offering what the top programs in the country are offering from a financial standpoint.

When you consider CU’s biggest areas of weakness (OL/DL) the elite players at those positions either don’t transfer away from established power programs, or are highly prioritized by top programs.

My broader point is that I believe a competitive team can be built through the portal like CU has done, but I’m not sure if they can rely on the portal to find more Travis Hunter/Shedeur Sanders caliber players to take them to the next level. I believe High School recruiting will need to be a bigger emphasis than originally thought.
The portal is a great way to supplement your roster with talent. But high school recruiting is the backbone.

Did anyone honestly think we were going to get Alabama/Georgia quality lines through the portal? Most have been saying that's where you have to emphasize prep recruiting.

Saying that, this is a unique situation for CU. The teams that are writing big checks for players, have an established national brand and would be the most attractive landing spots for transfers are the schools that have most talent along the lines. It's a big risk for an established star at a smaller school to transfer into an elite program and compete with a loaded depth chart. There's much less risk in making that move and competing with our current depth chart. Let's be honest, if you can't win a spot against this group, you likely aren't a pro caliber prospect anyway. Coach Prime will be able to sell opportunity that other coaches can't, and that's going to make a difference.

Did anyone honestly think we were going to get Alabama/Georgia quality lines through the portal? Most have been saying that's where you have to emphasize prep recruiting.

Saying that, this is a unique situation for CU. The teams that are writing big checks for players, have an established national brand and would be the most attractive landing spots for transfers are the schools that have most talent along the lines. It's a big risk for an established star at a smaller school to transfer into an elite program and compete with a loaded depth chart. There's much less risk in making that move and competing with our current depth chart. Let's be honest, if you can't win a spot against this group, you likely aren't a pro caliber prospect anyway. Coach Prime will be able to sell opportunity that other coaches can't, and that's going to make a difference.
I think my expectation was that we'd get a collection of Tommy Brown types for OL/DL. Similar to what we we were able to do at EDGE.

I agree with everything. My posts on this subject were in response to the idea that we need a lot of dudes in the trenches this off-season. While that’s true, I’m just not sure how much can/will be down through the portal.

I agree with everything. My posts on this subject were in response to the idea that we need a lot of dudes in the trenches this off-season. While that’s true, I’m just not sure how much can/will be down through the portal.
The idea that we're going to get 10-15 dawgs through the portal along the lines doesn't seem realistic to me either. I'm hoping for maybe 2 OL to anchor that unit, an established high quality DT, an elite EDGE and an impact LB. That's 5, then add a couple of guys who are solid starters on a good team or high end depth on elite teams plus a couple of very high upside freshmen looking for opportunity.

That's still 10 players or so, but only half will be established, elite players. That's still a massive step forward and may be enough to win a Big 12 that seems wide open.

The portal is a great way to supplement your roster with talent. But high school recruiting is the backbone.
I’m not sure how anymore. If those kids think highly of themselves, they’re not going to be willing to sit for two years and wait their turn.

The idea that we're going to get 10-15 dawgs through the portal along the lines doesn't seem realistic to me either. I'm hoping for maybe 2 OL to anchor that unit, an established high quality DT, an elite EDGE and an impact LB. That's 5, then add a couple of guys who are solid starters on a good team or high end depth on elite teams plus a couple of very high upside freshmen looking for opportunity.

That's still 10 players or so, but only half will be established, elite players. That's still a massive step forward and may be enough to win a Big 12 that seems wide open.
Agree. The focus should be 4-5 proven elite players. JD or McClendon type of players are totally fine as main depth piece, but they can not shine without other part of the team (e.g. interior DL) being studs.

I was really impressed by a few things

1 it seemed like the players and coaches were actually able to “fix” things in practice this week. So many times teams say they need to fix things but it never happens. Our team (o line and D specifically) was a mess in the Oregon game and we at least looked like we were not making all the same mental mistakes yesterday.

2 it looks like the coaches made deliberate changes to address deficiencies and play to our strengths. New running plays etc. th

3 the freshman balled out. Good to see them play at a high level immediately.

4 never give in! After last week and the first half lots of teams would have quit. They showed guts.

All of these things give me lots of confidence that our team will continue to improve this season and will be scary good with the new talent.

I don't think its realistic to get 4 or 5 Dawgs in the portal. First RD type guys aren't frequently moving from one team to another on the Lines.

I don't think its realistic to get 4 or 5 Dawgs in the portal. First RD type guys aren't frequently moving from one team to another on the Lines.
I'd be very happy with a group of 5th round to priority UFA type guys. You can win with that, especially if you've got higher upside prep recruits pushing them.

I'd be very happy with a group of 5th round to priority UFA type guys. You can win with that, especially if you've got higher upside prep recruits pushing them.
You can win 8 games or so with that, but they have to find some 2nd and 3rd round types as well.

We could win 8 this year and we don't have that
Depends on how many you're looking for, but I think we have a handful of those types scattered throughout the roster, just very few in the trenches.

I'm just thinking about 2016 team that won 10 games, but weren't all that competitive with legit top 10 teams. They had two 2nd rounders (Chido and Oliver), a 3rd (Spoon), a 4th (Thompson), a 6th (Winfree), and a 7th (Carrell) and a number of UDFA types like Tupou, Ross, Bobo, Fields, etc. Solid team, but clearly outclassed by other non-blue blood types.

For this team to get to where it wants to go, they will need better than 5th-UDFA talent, even with Shedeur at QB.

Depends on how many you're looking for, but I think we have a handful of those types scattered throughout the roster, just very few in the trenches.

I'm just thinking about 2016 team that won 10 games, but weren't all that competitive with legit top 10 teams. They had two 2nd rounders (Chido and Oliver), a 3rd (Spoon), a 4th (Thompson), a 6th (Winfree), and a 7th (Carrell) and a number of UDFA types like Tupou, Ross, Bobo, Fields, etc. Solid team, but clearly outclassed by other non-blue blood types.

For this team to get to where it wants to go, they will need better than 5th-UDFA talent, even with Shedeur at QB.
Need 1 1st/2nd RD Grade OL and 1 1st/2nd RD Grade DL to move the needle. Ideally, they are both Tackles but those 2 Blue Chips make everyone else better on each Line.

OR

Need 3 DL that are 2nd-4th Round and 3/5's of OL as 4th Round NFL Caliber or better to compete with TOP 10 programs. This is in addition to what we currently have on the roster.

Back