1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Northern Colorado hires Earnest Collins

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

2. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

alcorn state head coach... and thats all i know

3. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

They should have hired Dave Logan.

4. Finest

Finest New Member

They beat my undergraduate school-Langston University. The football program there is better than it used to be, and they ran the ball well and forced a lot of turnovers. About all I can tell you.

5. SteelCity Buff

SteelCity Buff Member

Collins is a unc grad. For a time he was on Mangino's staff at KU, and he may have been on Glenn's staff at Montanna prior to that. He graduated from unc around 95 or so. I was a bear at the time too, so I don't have a link or anything, I just remember vaguely following his career.

6. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

This sounds like a very good hire.

7. SteelCity Buff

SteelCity Buff Member

Could very well be, but they are way behind the big dogs in the Big Sky.

8. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

How soon before UNC is in a BCS bowl game? Scratch that. How soon before UNC competes for a Big Sky Championship? Their HC made $95K last year. I can't even imagine what the assistants made. There are high school programs that pay more than that.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  9. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Ernest goes to Greeley.

Mooooo!

10. NashBuff

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2458/northern-colorado-bears

They are much closer than you think.

UNC lost by 7 to Eastern Washington (great team...playing for FCS Nat'l Champ) and UNC was ahead 28-21 in the 4th.

At Weber State (good team), they lost a four OT shootout 50-47.

At Montana State (good team), they lost 37-35.

Only two blowout losses in Big Sky play this recent season. They only just need to learn how to win in crunch time.

11. NashBuff

There is a huge difference in pay for the FCS and mid-major FBS programs compared to the FBS BCS programs. The head-coaches of the better programs earn closer to $200k a year unlike FBS coaches that earn millions of dollars.

Not a good comparsion.

12. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I'm not trying to compare. My point, that I didn't make, is that it will be very difficult for UNC to compete even in the Big Sky if they can only pay their HC $100K to $150K a year. I'd bet the assistants almost have to work two jobs just to make ends meet (no pun intended). I'd like to see the comparison of UNC's salaries with the better Big Sky programs.

13. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

And I wonder how their facilities compare to other b-sky schools.

14. SteelCity Buff

SteelCity Buff Member

Butler-Hancock.jpg UNC's facilities
    Nottingham_Field.jpg

Montana's Grizzly Stadium
    grizzly stadium.jpg

Weber's Dee Events Center

Weber State  Dee Events Center.jpg

15. SteelCity Buff

SteelCity Buff Member

They were much more competitive, can't argue that, but they still got absolutely rolled by Sac State, Montana and South Dakota. I believe its mentioned in the Dave Logan thread, but funding is a huge issue for them when it comes to coaches salaries, recruiting budget, etc. I hope they do well, its where I went to school, but it seems like they're behind the 8ball in this conference.

16. UNCBEARS

UNCBEARS New Member

Hey guys! New to the board. As far as Earnest Collins, as a fan I couldn't have been more happy. He is a TRUE Bear and bleeds blue and gold. He has a great eye for talent - he recruited Vince Jackson to UNC.

As far as facilities, Nottingham Field is small, but we've put more than 16 million dollars in facility upgrades the past couple years. I would say we have the nicest facilities over-all in the Big Sky. Brand new weight room, athletic training rooms, film rooms, etc. They're awesome! As far as Collins salary compared to the Big Sky, i'm not sure how much he will make. I'm guessing around $110,000 or so. The top program in the conference - Montana pays their head coach $150,000. So, we're behind, but not by too much. The head coach at Eastern Washington makes a base salary of $100,000., and they're playing in the FCS Chipper next week. We lost to them by 7 points. So...we're close. Hopefully Earnest makes the difference.

Quattro likes this.
  17. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Good to hear.

And, welcome.

Lots of in-state kids we're familiar with at UNC. And of course we cheer for Dylan Orms to do well (Seth Lobato, too).

I need to maybe head up to Greeley one Saturday next fall when the Buffs are on a roadie I'm not going to.

P.S. Thanks for Tad. I look forward to playing you guys in hoops regularly once his recruits have all graduated.