What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Not sure how it happened

I have to disagree here. I think this year we are starting to see some of that mojo they were supposed to have come through. Its tough to recruit with a 3 win season. Really tough. But they are recruiting a ton of 3* talent. The type of talent that makes up the bulk of every BCS roster. Mac did the same thing his first few years. The fact we are being seriously considered by some 4* talent tells me we are getting close. Real close. We make a bowl game this year and watch out. Have to remember as much as we all love the buffs, they have not been nationally relevant since these 18 year olds were 6...

I can honestly say you lost me here. Whose program? ours? We are lucky to be getting some of the talent that we are. I do know that some only have us as a BCS offer, but some are choosing us over some other middle of the road BCS teams. That shows progress to me. We aren't middle of the road any more. Not yet. We have to work our way back up the ladder and I think Embo is doing it the right way. He is building that solid depth that needs to be there to be able to return to the top and compete with the big boys. You get the solid depth and then add in a couple stars here and there and you have something big. We all expected this staff to come in and blow it out of the water in recruiting, but one of the most recent memorable games before Embo got here, was the epic meltdown at Kansas. That **** was all over sportscenter. You think any recruit wants to come play for that team? Not to mention the loss to Cal in 2010. Embree and staff are doing some good work given what they have to go off of. A 3 win season and a possible new training facility that will maybe be done by the time they graduate. I think recruiting is going a lot better than it appears on the surface. We aren't landing the big names and blue chippers like we thought we would, but we are building some solid depth. Now if we make and win a bowl game and we don't see a huge uptick then I will start to worry.

I hope people start paying attention to the types of 3* players we are getting. You have to look a little deeper because there is a major difference between a 5.5rr with a couple BCS offers and a 5.7rr that is ranked in the top 30 at his position. Both are 3* players on paper, but building the bulk of a class on the 5.5rr players (like we are doing with the 2013 class) is not a recipe for success.

As far as building the team up to "something big," it will take more than a few stars here and there. It will take getting playmakers all over the roster.

It really confuses me why people are afraid to attach any expectations to Embree and the coaching staff. Three wins in the first season? No problem, they beat Utah! A recruiting class that will rank at or near the bottom of the conference come February (barring major changes)? No problem, at least they are trying!

I hope people start paying attention to the types of 3* players we are getting. You have to look a little deeper because there is a major difference between a 5.5rr with a couple BCS offers and a 5.7rr that is ranked in the top 30 at his position. Both are 3* players on paper, but building the bulk of a class on the 5.5rr players (like we are doing with the 2013 class) is not a recipe for success.

As far as building the team up to "something big," it will take more than a few stars here and there. It will take getting playmakers all over the roster.

It really confuses me why people are afraid to attach any expectations to Embree and the coaching staff. Three wins in the first season? No problem, they beat Utah! A recruiting class that will rank at or near the bottom of the conference come February (barring major changes)? No problem, at least they are trying!

From Rivals.
5.7-5.5 All-Region Selection; considered among the region's top prospects and among the top 750 or so prospects in the country; high-to-mid-major prospect; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team

From Rivals.
5.7-5.5 All-Region Selection; considered among the region's top prospects and among the top 750 or so prospects in the country; high-to-mid-major prospect; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team

Yes... and there is a major difference from the top end of the scale to the bottom end of the scale.

considering where we started when Embree got here, i will take 2 (well 2 and a half) years of this kind of talent to rebuild our roster depth. We have almost 0 depth. Once we get back to a solid 2 deep, I will start critically evaluating the progress and recruiting ability of this coaching staff. Until then, I am happy we are mostly skipping over the type of players that D2Dan would have snagged and building legitimate BCS level depth.

considering where we started when Embree got here, i will take 2 (well 2 and a half) years of this kind of talent to rebuild our roster depth. We have almost 0 depth. Once we get back to a solid 2 deep, I will start critically evaluating the progress and recruiting ability of this coaching staff. Until then, I am happy we are mostly skipping over the type of players that D2Dan would have snagged and building legitimate very low end BCS level depth.
fify. That's what you are happy with. I'm not. That is ****** recruiting.

considering where we started when Embree got here, i will take 2 (well 2 and a half) years of this kind of talent to rebuild our roster depth. We have almost 0 depth. Once we get back to a solid 2 deep, I will start critically evaluating the progress and recruiting ability of this coaching staff. Until then, I am happy we are mostly skipping over the type of players that D2Dan would have snagged and building legitimate BCS level depth.

It's a stretch to claim this current class is building legitimate BCS level depth. As Duff says, there is a vast difference between a 5.7rr with offers from UCLA, Cal and Florida State, and a 5.5rr with offers from San Jose State and Idaho. We are certainly seeing more of the latter in this class. That's got to improve.

I, for one, am glad the season is finally upon us. At the end of the day, it's a results-oriented business, and the win/loss record, not our learned opinions, will determine the fate of this coaching staff and direction of the program. I have a vested interest in seeing the program return to legitimacy, thus I have an interest in seeing this coaching staff do well. If they fail to do so, I will have an interest in seeing a new staff brought in who can turn the program around. If the season goes down the tubes, then all the naysayers can delight in the fact that they were smarter than the rest of us and knew this staff would fail. If it goes well, then the sunshine pumpers will have ammunition to prove that they were brighter than the rest of us and they somehow knew the staff would succeed. The time for speculation and projection is almost over...

You could also say that the Buffs really should have had 5 wins last year by beating Cal and WSU.... so there is some hope I suppose.

You could also say that the Buffs really should have had 5 wins last year by beating Cal and WSU.... so there is some hope I suppose.
There was also that dropped pick 6 in the Hawaii game so maybe even six.

Major, major stretch to call a 34-17 loss a game we "should have won". By that measure, we could have easily lost to CSU or Zona
I agree somewhat. If we pick that and take it back, I believe that would have tied the game or brought it within three but instead Hawaii scored which sealed it.

I'm still thinking 5 wins at most, possibly 4 or 6 if those go poorly or we get some breaks. We just have so many true freshman that need to contribute, I think we're going to have a couple more WSU/Cal games this year. Games we could maybe win, but we do what we can to lose them.

I think the one way we do get to 6 games is if Wood steps up and plays better than we're expecting. I don't think playing Webb gets us there. We need someone to make plays at the QB position, not just manage the game.

Don't plan on buying any of the hype or criticism as I did last year....I'll reserve initial judgements and prospects until after the CSU game

If we struggle in the game like we did last year then probably a good indication of where expectations should land....if we can come out and take it to CSU then maybe I could start to buy any belief in a bowl game

WE'LL SEE :huh:

Don't plan on buying any of the hype or criticism as I did last year....I'll reserve initial judgements and prospects until after the CSU game

If we struggle in the game like we did last year then probably a good indication of where expectations should land....if we can come out and take it to CSU then maybe I could start to buy any belief in a bowl game

WE'LL SEE :huh:

read on ramnation that 25 guys on their spring roster didn't show to fall camp this weekend. if we lose to them, we won't win a single game.

Ain't gonna happen. 6 wins or me drinking koolaid. Excited to tailgate, see a few wins, watch other college football, get ready for basketball season.

25 guys that practiced in the spring didn't report to fall camp, so they say.

They had a post breaking it down with some speculation. Includes the guys thrown off the team for academics, thrown off the team for beating up fellow students, transfered to someplace else they might have a chance to win, academic casualties (including Dorian Brown), and some guys who either just quit or maybe were asked not to come back.

Other than the guys thrown off the team not a lot of names that I knew anything about or remembered from contributing last year but they didn't have much depth to start with so this can't help.

Dorian Brown failed out?

That makes me feel better about not taking him in '09.

Hope he lands on his feet somewhere.

What the heck just happened? I take 2 days off, and our resident pessimist is on the Kool-Aid?

But thinking about the season this morning and it hit me: we are making a bowl game this season. I have spent all offseason very pessimistic and finding very little reason to believe we can get to six wins.

But I have done a 180 in about 48 hours and I do not think it is pure preseason kool-aid either. This team has just enough to win six games and it will happen.
It's a stretch, mostly because we know almost nothing about this team. Between graduations, injuries and suspensions, players are either gone or have never played together.

I think it is possible to go 5-0, but because there are so many unknowns I think it's possible we are 2-3.

But I like your optimism!!!

Go Buffs!!!

Back