What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Observations so far....

In his post game interview, Montez mentioned that Mac kept telling him to stay in the pocket, and that he didn't understand what Mac was talking about. Then later in the game Tyler Lytle was talking to him and told him to play more like he (Tyler) does. Montez called Lytle a giraffe because he isn't the most athletic runner, but it took this comparison to sink in and for Montez to know what they were talking about. I wonder if this had anything to do with the offense finally finding somewhat of a groove at the end of the third quarter.

Two thoughts:
  1. It is concerning to me that Montez does not seem to understand this rather simplistic concept that should be a given for a P5 QB (and most casual Madden players). I'm sure the coaches practice keeping him behind his linemen, while running through his progressions.
  2. It is a good sign that Lytle "gets it" and is able to communicate these concepts to Montez and likely put them into practice. I think we have a keeper there, who could be challenging for playing time next year, especially if Montez doesn't start translating these ideas into his play.

In his post game interview, Montez mentioned that Mac kept telling him to stay in the pocket, and that he didn't understand what Mac was talking about. Then later in the game Tyler Lytle was talking to him and told him to play more like he (Tyler) does. Montez called Lytle a giraffe because he isn't the most athletic runner, but it took this comparison to sink in and for Montez to know what they were talking about. I wonder if this had anything to do with the offense finally finding somewhat of a groove at the end of the third quarter.

Two thoughts:
  1. It is concerning to me that Montez does not seem to understand this rather simplistic concept that should be a given for a P5 QB (and most casual Madden players). I'm sure the coaches practice keeping him behind his linemen, while running through his progressions.
  2. It is a good sign that Lytle "gets it" and is able to communicate these concepts to Montez and likely put them into practice. I think we have a keeper there, who could be challenging for playing time next year, especially if Montez doesn't start translating these ideas into his play.
Basically, T Lytle told him to pretend he couldn't run. It clicked for Montez.

Sometimes the biggest challenge for a player is to play within the fundamentals when their athleticism allows them to do exceptional things outside the play design.

Sometimes the biggest challenge for a player is to play within the fundamentals when their athleticism allows them to do exceptional things outside the play design.

For Montez it is going to be a bit of struggle for a while. His whole career to this point, he has been able to out athlete folks. He can't do that here, at this level. Needs to play the system and use it to his advantage.

For Montez it is going to be a bit of struggle for a while. His whole career to this point, he has been able to out athlete folks. He can't do that here, at this level. Needs to play the system and use it to his advantage.

Exactly. Finesse is something QB's with rifle arms tend to learn much later down the road. Montez is in the the phase of his development where his instinct is to throw 30+ yards down field because it's sexy, even into double coverage.

OL play is weak. The D is reasonably sound for having lost so many to graduation/suspension/injury. Definitely more of a bend but don't break approach on D.

ST are actually a pleasant surprise. Montez has some learning to do. When O when will CU have a TE?

It's likely been pointed out somewhere, but the celebration by Montez after his meh rushing touchdown against TSU tells you everything you need to know.

I want to give the young guys the benefit of the doubt before senior leadership has a real chance to influence them, but SM is a junior and studied under Sefo. Granted it was a different sport, but running D1 track in college was an adjustment, and I managed to get my **** together by the summer between Soph/Jr year and made a huge jump in performance.

Looking for exponential maturity growth from QB 1 these next few weeks. I respect the dedication to fitness he made in the offseason, but being a freak athlete doesn't help you running the show in college football as much as it does for other skill positions. I have a feeling this 'swagger', bordering on arrogance at times, is a big reason for the lack of intensity we're seeing after dudes would bleed for Sefo last year.

Good news is, the potential is there. If this is who SM is, let's just get a little reckless and run some boots.
Montez is a Sophomore.

If you want more confirmation of this, the only movement on OL in the Texas State game was:

1) Miller to replace Kaiser after ~ 1 quarter (guess that really was a health issue)

Haigler and Kough played the whole game. Are we trying to RS the true frosh that are on the 2 deep? Or are we getting desperate to try anything to see if something sticks? Or both?

A. I really wanted to say in last week's post that Miller would get a big chance in week 2, but decided I should keep my mouth shut.
He had a couple mistakes, but overall, it was a solid debut.

B. Yes, we will red**** the true frosh unless they are pushed into PT due to injuries. There's at least two tackles and two guards as backups available, plus the ability for Irwin and Kaiser to play both. I don't see any scenario where a true Frosh OL removes his redshirt short of a rash of injuries.

My take... Montez is going to be just fine! Lytle is a keeper and ran pretty well in the spring game. All is good at CU. Montez is the guy right now and Lytle is for now is the future and going to be a very good as a Buff QB.

I think the point is that he's a RS Sophomore and this is his 3rd year on campus, with Lindgren and in the offense.

Game reps are way more important for a QB than practice reps. He's not getting hit in practice.

Montez has a gun but hasn't been consistently accurate, more than a few open receivers either well overthrown or on shorter passes balls thrown well behind or to the feet. I wonder if he lacks confidence in his ability to hit the spot right now. Is this keeping him from going to open guys in the middle of the field?

I think Shay can be close to elite and Bobo makes some spectacular catches. Fair to question their intensity and focus though as we have seen them cut patterns short and seen some balls right in their hands dropped. It doesn't take many of these to kill drives.

OL play has got to get better. Miller was simply better at OT once he came in. Not perfect but he looked like a guy who can play LT. Irwin coming back should make a difference but the intensity level needs to go up across the line.

I want to see Winfree and Shenault get more involved and I'm hoping they have a KD Nixon package ready to go for conference play.
We saw a glimpse of what he can do, on that end around. He ran his arc a little too deep and still managed to get 7 yards. If he had gotten the corner, it would have been 6. That dude is crazy fast.

Exactly. Finesse is something QB's with rifle arms tend to learn much later down the road. Montez is in the the phase of his development where his instinct is to throw 30+ yards down field because it's sexy, even into double coverage.

Chicks dig the long ball.

Speaking of age, experience and sexy balls - what is it like being a freshman who is 30 years old? Add an exotic Australian accent into the mix and there is some serious reality TV potential. Does our FG kicker have to stay in the dorms?

I can just imagine the conversation that some coed frosh might have with her friends or her dad. "So I'm dating a really nice football player..."

The off-field potential for Stefaneau to really, really enjoy Boulder could get creepy. Is Stefaneau married?

When I was a freshman there was a 26 year old from Australia who had to stay in the dorms for his first semester. He was also part of Kappa Sig I believe and it was pretty damn creepy to see him around all of the 18 year old freshman girls.

Speaking of age, experience and sexy balls - what is it like being a freshman who is 30 years old? Add an exotic Australian accent into the mix and there is some serious reality TV potential. Does our FG kicker have to stay in the dorms?

I can just imagine the conversation that some coed frosh might have with her friends or her dad. "So I'm dating a really nice football player..."

The off-field potential for Stefaneau to really, really enjoy Boulder could get creepy. Is Stefaneau married?
He's married and in married housing, not a dorm is my understanding.

It's not ideal to make big switches in-season, but I really think the coaches need to consider drastic changes on the OL to get the five best players out there. If Miller is up to the task of a being a competent LT this season, that should change some thinking IMO. Same thing if Lynott can be a competent center.

Also, I really think Shenault is going to make some important plays for us this season.

The good news today is that no matter how many struggles CU has, they aren't anything compared to Oregon State's, ASU's or Arizona's. Those three win's added to the win against UNC this weekend and a likely win against Cal and CU still win's seven games....Plus with the D playing like they are, it wouldn't be shocking if CU pulled out one or two more. Could be quite a year regardless of the offensive issues.

Special Teams, better than expected.

Defense, good so far, will know more in 2 weeks.

Offense, worse than expected. Hope irwin and frazier make a difference. Sr leadership?

Special teams are vastly improved.
Kickers, and punter both look very good.
Coverage has been solid.

Montez - needs to stay in the pocket, step up and make teams pay. Too quick to leave pocket. Will get it.

Defense - Not sure yet how good they are, but they all know their assignments. Collier is a plus as a true frosh. I think he's pretty much filled what Jimmy gave us.

You?

Update to above.
Special Teams have been very good.
Montez still playing with "high school feet". If he doesn't get this down quickly, I'm not sure he's our best option. Serious. This has been a disaster.
Running game has been broken.
Defense - very solid. Assignment correct. Collier is killing it (was held blatantly twice last week, or he gets two more sacks).
Leo Jackson needs a nickname. He's been a beast.
Worthington also impressing.

Update to above.
Montez still playing with "high school feet". If he doesn't get this down quickly, I'm not sure he's our best option. Serious. This has been a disaster.
Defense - very solid. Assignment correct. Collier is killing it (was held blatantly twice last week, or he gets two more sacks).
How do you know this when we haven't seen Noyer or Lytle take meaningful snaps?

Update to above.
He's our best option.

It's not ideal to make big switches in-season, but I really think the coaches need to consider drastic changes on the OL to get the five best players out there. If Miller is up to the task of a being a competent LT this season, that should change some thinking IMO. Same thing if Lynott can be a competent center.

Also, I really think Shenault is going to make some important plays for us this season.
I think I know where you're headed with this, and I may have thought the same.

LT-Miller
LG-Irwin
C-Lynott
RG-Kough
RT-Haigler

???

Back