What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel Thread - How safe is Kevin Sumlin´s job?

Sounds like Haden failed to do his due diligence with the hire. It seems even a cursory investigation should have turned this up. I really doubt this started since he arrived at USC.

Probably, but my guess is he will hang on a while in time out for appearances sake. So until that happens, I think you have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

On the pure speculation front, I would put money on Whittingham jumping ship this year. Would U$C take him? Probably not, but he is pretty good coach and he is going somewhere this carousel season IMO.
What Whittingham has done the last 5 years is nothing short of miraculous: going up a step in competition (arguably a couple of steps since Pac12 South has been pretty rugged), dealing with the administration at UU and having to coach a revolving door of coordinators, and coaching in a geographical area pretty devoid of talent while getting UU up to #4 in the country is amazing.

If their season keeps going the way it's been going and ours keeps going the way its been going, there would be no way to ramp up the "rivalry" more than stealing their coach.

There was talk while at UW that he had episodes of bizarre and anti-social behavior. I'm pretty sure it was posted on here as well. I know core-UW fans who were elated to have Sark go away and replaced with Chris Peterson.

What Whittingham has done the last 5 years is nothing short of miraculous: going up a step in competition (arguably a couple of steps since Pac12 South has been pretty rugged), dealing with the administration at UU and having to coach a revolving door of coordinators, and coaching in a geographical area pretty devoid of talent while getting UU up to #4 in the country is amazing.

If their season keeps going the way it's been going and ours keeps going the way its been going, there would be no way to ramp up the "rivalry" more than stealing their coach.

The revolving door at Utah is Whittingham's doing. He's an ego-maniac of epic proportions. And I'd also wait until this season plays out a little more before we claim them so successful. Certainly a mature and seasoned strong team. But I don't believe Oregon or Cal are top 25 teams and Michigan in game 1 was not the Michigan of game 5. Let's see how they handle ASU, UCLA and USC first. Honestly think ASU might be the team to beat there.

Post Sark firing update:

Shown the door:

Maryland: Edsall out
University of North Texas: Dan McCarney out.
University of Illinois: Tim Beckman out.
U$C: Sarkissian out.

Hot seat:

Miami: Al Golden getting heat
UT: Strong having a rough year, but won the RRSS

Moonlighting:

George (how did that get on my resume?) O'Leary steps down as AD, but stays as HC.

What are the odds Haden still has a job on Nov 1? If USC was smart, they'd can him immediately with a short list of replacements already typed up.

Kragthorpe has written quite a bit about him and they went to High School together iirc. But ultimately, the football people I know in Utah think that's part of what works for KW, his massive ego. When Anderson (Oregon St) came calling, top assistants were more than willing to ditch Kyle W.

The KW/USC murmurs have been rampant for a while now. And I'm a guy living in VA with a few tenuous USC connections.

The revolving door at Utah is Whittingham's doing. He's an ego-maniac of epic proportions. And I'd also wait until this season plays out a little more before we claim them so successful. Certainly a mature and seasoned strong team. But I don't believe Oregon or Cal are top 25 teams and Michigan in game 1 was not the Michigan of game 5. Let's see how they handle ASU, UCLA and USC first. Honestly think ASU might be the team to beat there.

Utah can only play the teams that are on their schedule. Regardless of how you feel, Utah is the only loss on the schedule of the number 12 and the number 23 teams in the country. Additionally, I don't think you can downplay the win vs. Oregon. here are the teams that have beaten P5 teams by 42 or more points this year as a road team:

• ****ing Baylor (vs. Kansas, 59 point margin)
  • Utah (vs. Oregon, 42 point margin)
  • Boise State (vs. Virginia, 42 point margin)
  • (end of list)
Oregon's a weak team this year, but I still think they'd beat Kansas and Virginia on a neutral field.

Easily was able to fire him with cause. I'm guessing he doesn't get a dime.

I think you're right on that, but I don't think thats what happened-This is a PR embarrassment for USC, and I guarantee you Haden and Sarkisian's agent worked out something along the lines of Sarkisian getting a significantly reduced buyout if he agreed to go away quietly, and I think these conversations started as soon as Haden announced that Sarkisian was going on leave.

I think you're right on that, but I don't think thats what happened-This is a PR embarrassment for USC, and I guarantee you Haden and Sarkisian's agent worked out something along the lines of Sarkisian getting a significantly reduced buyout if he agreed to go away quietly, and I think these conversations started as soon as Haden announced that Sarkisian was going on leave.

What? What was there for him to say? As far as I know, USC hasn't done anything wrong. He doesn't have any dirt on them and they have nothing to hide. Sark has repeatedly been on the job under the influence which is a very serious offense in pretty much every employment contract out there. He maybe got the rest of his contract for the year, but that is it. USC isn't going to throw millions of dollars away for no reason.

We can debate how good Michigan really is until we're blue in the face, but that's still a damn good victory for Utah, and one that only Clemson can match (Notre Dame) in terms of contenders IMHO. As far as does he leave..........I think USC and Texas would have to overpay to get him to leave SLC.....Just my opinion, but I think Miami is more attractive that either of those two spots right now-It recruits itself too, and you have a very good QB in Kaaya for at least one year.

What? What was there for him to say? As far as I know, USC hasn't done anything wrong. He doesn't have any dirt on them and they have nothing to hide. Sark has repeatedly been on the job under the influence which is a very serious offense in pretty much every employment contract out there. He maybe got the rest of his contract for the year, but that is it. USC isn't going to throw millions of dollars away for no reason.

I've read multiple things this afternoon saying that Sarkisian could have cover under the ADA if he wanted to sue claiming he was rehabbing. The question with that is did they waive any public intoxication clauses in Sarkisian's contract by allowing him to continue working after the Salute to Troy fiasco, as Darren Rovell tweeted today?

1. Darren Rovell ‏@darrenrovell 3h3 hours ago
    If public intoxication was part of the for clause in Sark's contract, USC might have waived that right when they allowed him back at work.
    Darren Rovell ‏@darrenrovell 3h3 hours ago
  2. If USC fired Sarkisian for cause, he might have a case if he says he was rehabbing. Possible he's protected by American Disabilities Act.

118 retweets118 favorites

Kragthorpe has written quite a bit about him and they went to High School together iirc. But ultimately, the football people I know in Utah think that's part of what works for KW, his massive ego. When Anderson (Oregon St) came calling, top assistants were more than willing to ditch Kyle W.
The guys I've met from his staff were very loyal. Some have left for promotions. The complaints I've heard were all towards hill not being willing to write checks st PAC 12 standards for assistants. He also kicks out guys that don't fit. I'd guess the truth is somewhere in the middle.

On Sark, I don't care what the drug is. If your job is to teach kids, sobriety matters. Hope he finds himself in a better place and owns his weakness.

Back