What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel

Me, too. I like Charlie. Beyond that, there is so much recruiting talent in Texas that I think it's better for CU if UT dominates the state with all the other P5s being very mediocre.

My ideal scenario involves UT fires an 8-4 Charlie Strong (who goes onto greener, less racist pastures), and UT has trouble finding an elite coach because everyone knows that is toxic AF.

My ideal scenario involves UT fires an 8-4 Charlie Strong (who goes onto greener, less racist pastures), and UT has trouble finding an elite coach because everyone knows that is toxic AF.
So sort of like what happened with Charlie strong but instead they hire a white guy this time lol.

They have Ole Miss, UTSA, & LSU all at home. If they go 1-2 and look terrible, he might be gone, otherwise he'll be back. aTm's fan base isn't quite as delusional as LSU's.

In addition to going 1-2 I think he'd also have to lose their bowl game to get himself back on the hot seat. Otherwise he should be fine.

In addition to going 1-2 I think he'd also have to lose their bowl game to get himself back on the hot seat. Otherwise he should be fine.
I would imagine that if they were going to fire him it would be after LSU. There would be slim pickings after a late bowl game.

Starts on Sunday? In the middle of the season? That's really, really weird.

Starts on Sunday? In the middle of the season? That's really, really weird.

Might make some sense though.

Give him a chance to see who he has on the roster for next year, maybe if needed to clear out some dead wood.

More importantly they need talent and can't afford much of a "transition" class. This may give him time to hold onto any important recruits they have committed and more importantly to fill some spots in the class with kids who aren't left overs.

It still won't be a regular full class, he is getting in late but might be a better class than if they waited.

Seems underwhelming to me. A lot can change depending on who he brings on staff but I was expecting a different direction.

That is bush league on Fresno's part IMO. Just let assistants twist in the wind twice in one season.

That is bush league on Fresno's part IMO. Just let assistants twist in the wind twice in one season.

Big time. Tedford is going to have a hard time getting much done with his assistants the rest of the season.

Maybe. I could definitely see Kiesau being butt hurt by the move. However, some of the other assistants may see it as a better chance to stay in place if they can impress Tedford.

Big time. Tedford is going to have a hard time getting much done with his assistants the rest of the season.

Reports that Tedford is targeting Marcus Arroyo (Okie Lite RB Coach) to be his OC. Arroyo was QB coach with TB Bucs when Tedford was OC & filled in as interim OC when Tedford was out for a bit with a health issue. Was also Tedford's QB Coach/ Pass Game Coordinator at the end of his Cal stint. I'd pretty much say "book it" on that hire.

I'm trying to figure out why folks think this is such a bad idea just because it is new and different. Upsides:
1) Evaluate existing assistants in a live scenario
2) Massive jump start on recruiting
3) Work through other potential new staff members with stability - anyone he contacts knows he is the coach and needs assistants as opposed to might be the coach, but uncertainty

Where is the downside? The only one I can think of is if they lose out, some of the players may see it as more of the same and not feel invigorated with a fresh start for off season lifting and spring training.

It's Fresno who gives a Rats arse, On the Chuck Strong front he is a flashy version of Hawkins, does just enough to keep his job. In the meantime Red has his big checkbook asking how much it will cost him to get the F***er thrown out. Personally I said the day they hired him that he is a bad fit in Austin and will stand by it.

It's Fresno who gives a Rats arse, On the Chuck Strong front he is a flashy version of Hawkins, does just enough to keep his job. In the meantime Red has his big checkbook asking how much it will cost him to get the F***er thrown out. Personally I said the day they hired him that he is a bad fit in Austin and will stand by it.
He did win at Louisville (Big East, was a "power" conference) and he made a BCS bowl there. He accomplished more than Boise State WAC Hawk.

Agree he was a bad fit, but he will win someplace else.

He did win at Louisville (Big East, was a "power" conference) and he made a BCS bowl there. He accomplished more than Boise State WAC Hawk.

Agree he was a bad fit, but he will win someplace else.
The thing about Louisville is sort of skewed. The offense was in place and really recruited by Petrino he just needed to keep the train on the tracks. He made the defense better and parlayed it into big quan in Austin.
In Austin you have to go fire the starters pistol at the alumni 5k, go play golf with Red and Joe Jamil, and generally keep your lips puckered for daily ass kissing. thats not Chuck in any form. Your right he will do a good job somewhere else with more normal expectations.

The thing about Louisville is sort of skewed. The offense was in place and really recruited by Petrino he just needed to keep the train on the tracks. He made the defense better and parlayed it into big quan in Austin.
In Austin you have to go fire the starters pistol at the alumni 5k, go play golf with Red and Joe Jamil, and generally keep your lips puckered for daily ass kissing. thats not Chuck in any form. Your right he will do a good job somewhere else with more normal expectations.
You're not giving him enough credit for Louisville. Steve Kragthorpe came in between Petrino and Strong and that team was pretty bad when he took over. He was also pretty much the top dc in the sec for 10 years before that. Maybe not a good fit at Texas, but definitely a good coach.

i'm willing to let UT suffer even at Charlie's expense....not proud of that....but it's true. Charlie is not the kind of guy who is comfortable to manage a team full of 4 and 5 star egos (like Mack did for a while)...and all the public "we are the best" coddling UT people need....like nola says above. i will say the 2-3 times i've seen UT this year they look like great athletic players out of position almost all the time.

Washington getting "creative" with their attempt to lock up Petersen for a decade... If the Football Scoop's speculation is true, it's pretty smart considering a lot of his compensation might not have to come from the AD. Hopefully something that CU might be exploring with Mac...

http://footballscoop.com/news/washington-working-creative-extension-chris-petersen-might-mean/

UW is going to be very good next year and the year after next and probably for a long time. Peterson has proven to be one of the best coaches of the past 10 years.

UW is going to be very good next year and the year after next and probably for a long time. Peterson has proven to be one of the best coaches of the past 10 years.
And CU is good this year, should be very good again next year, and if the recruiting continues on this trend, they should be very good for a long time. Mac has proven to be one of the best turnaround coaches in the country the past 7 years.

And CU is good this year, should be very good again next year, and if the recruiting continues on this trend, they should be very good for a long time. Mac has proven to be one of the best turnaround coaches in the country the past 7 years.

Great at turnarounds, jury is out on sustained success. Obviously he should be handsomely rewarded for this season, but I think it has to make sense for CU too.

Great at turnarounds, jury is out on sustained success. Obviously he should be handsomely rewarded for this season, but I think it has to make sense for CU too.
Agreed, that's why I referenced that article that pointed to non-AD funded ways coaches are getting paid these days.

Agreed, that's why I referenced that article that pointed to non-AD funded ways coaches are getting paid these days.

I think CU going the more traditional route of a 3-year extension makes more sense at this point in time.

MacIntyre is proving a LOT of people wrong (myself included), but not sure he an elite coach just yet. Let's have that discussion a couple years down the road.

I think CU going the more traditional route of a 3-year extension makes more sense at this point in time.

MacIntyre is proving a LOT of people wrong (myself included), but not sure he an elite coach just yet. Let's have that discussion a couple years down the road.

Sustainability of success is an issue. I think M2 will sustain it but the 3 year extension does make sense until he can prove it.

They also need to show a significant commitment to funding assistants in an ongoing way. As we have success it is inevitable that other schools will come looking at our staff. We have to make sure that M2 is able to attract and keep quality guys to fill those slots.

A lot of 2017 will hinge on Drew's S&C program. OL needs to take another big step forward and a lot of guys on defense are going to need to be a lot bigger, stronger and more explosive next year to step in for what we're losing.

I think that our recruiting is going to make us faster, but having that without having the trenches working for you gives you a season like Oregon and Arizona have had in 2016.

A lot of 2017 will hinge on Drew's S&C program. OL needs to take another big step forward and a lot of guys on defense are going to need to be a lot bigger, stronger and more explosive next year to step in for what we're losing.

I think that our recruiting is going to make us faster, but having that without having the trenches working for you gives you a season like Oregon and Arizona have had in 2016.
Good perspective. We need the Oline to take a huge step next year as I think we can have an explosive offense. We will be very senior laden on the oline in 2017.

Back