What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

UT lite HC Pruitt hires CSU OC Will friend as OC, CSU DB coach Terry Fair in same role, and USC passing game coord. Helton as QB coach. SIAP.
WTF? Their DB unit has consistently been one of the week points under Bobo. Why hire that guy?

(Also, their CBs sucked this year. CU also sucked in that they didn't take advantage)

WTF? Their DB unit has consistently been one of the week points under Bobo. Why hire that guy?

(Also, their CBs sucked this year. CU also sucked in that they didn't take advantage)
Terry Fair is a Vol. Great CFB player and a quality NFL DB, sort of the Tennessee version of Ronnie Bradford.

I think he is a pretty good recruiter, and it is hard to judge how good the defensive backs are when you get no push or pressure.

Oregon seemed to have listened to their players, who overwhelmingly backed Christobal. Letting a bunch of 19 year-olds dictate the business decisions of a University would seem likely to backfire.
Shane Dillon is laughing somewhere.

Didn't Cristobal get canned at Florida Atlantic of all places?
Strange hire for Oregon if so.

Really good recruiter but I think the staff up there is going to be gutted which could get ugly for him. I don't think an AD should ever listen to the players campaigning for a guy or part of a recruiting class vouching for a guy, just seems short sided.

Didn't Cristobal get canned at Florida Atlantic of all places?
Strange hire for Oregon if so.

He was fired at FIU after taking them to two bowl games (the first in the history of the school). They have not been good at all since up until this season under Butch Davis. Not a home run hire by any stretch, but pretty good IMO.

Sorry, Jim.

laughter.gif

I think he is a pretty good recruiter, and it is hard to judge how good the defensive backs are when you get no push or pressure.
That may be true, but if he's recruiting so well why have they had to convert WRs to CB the last two seasons?

He was fired at FIU after taking them to two bowl games (the first in the history of the school). They have not been good at all since up until this season under Butch Davis. Not a home run hire by any stretch, but pretty good IMO.
Both of those small FL schools did really well with good coaches. Both FIU and FAU out coached their opponents.

When these coaches leave to another gig at another school, and the new football staff gets rid of the remaining old staff. Who pays off their contracts?

What cracks me up are those calling Taggart a snake oil salesman and saying good luck with him, when the reality is that their only complaint about him is that he's leaving UO. Going to his dream job, obviously won't leave FSU under the same circumstances. I happen to think it's ****ty to leave after a year, but the reaction is comical.
How many of us would leave a job after 12 months if we were offered our dream job? I would guess the answer is "every single one of us". I'm not sure how this is any different.

How many of us would leave a job after 12 months if we were offered our dream job? I would guess the answer is "every single one of us". I'm not sure how this is any different.

I think it blows a giant hole in the argument for upper echelon G5 coaches having to leave at a certain time for a better job "or else."

I think it blows a giant hole in the argument for upper echelon G5 coaches having to leave at a certain time for a better job "or else."
I think that argument was already blown away by Petersen. If you're in a great situation in G5 and winning 8+ a year, you can absolutely stay and hold out until you get the offer you want. The risk is that your team's results peaked and your window would only be open a short time. I don't think that applies if you're at a place like UCF, USF, Memphis, BYU, Boise State or Houston. Some other places, too, like SMU, Fresno State and Cincinnati, where if you got it rolling you would be able to keep it rolling due to recruiting grounds and other factors. If you're at a place Tulsa or Rice with a tiny student population and limited resources for your program, get out when the opportunity comes, but not if you're at a top G5.

I get that people will poke fun at this hire, that the players picked their coach. I see it otherwise. Cristobal is an elite recruiter, I daresay one of the top in the Pac-12. I get the skepticism about his coaching record at FIU, same issues with MacIntyre at SJSU. If Cristobal hires a good staff, I see him as being as good a hire at UO could have made.

Oregon seems to have listened to their players, who overwhelmingly backed Christobal. Letting a bunch of 19 year-olds dictate the business decisions of a University would seem likely to backfire.
"Yeah that's a dumb way to operate, they should be listening to the people with extensive knowledge on how to build and sustain an elite college football program...you know, like fans and boosters."

- John Currie

Cristobal checks a lot of the boxes - he has been a head coach, he is known as a top recruiter (something a place like Oregon needs), he has been a coordinator, and he has mentored under a top HC (Nick Saban). Time will tell but not the worst resume.

No personal criticism here Nik but I've never heard the term "dream job" used except in reference to college football. Whenever I hear a college coach us that phrase I immediately put them into my "pussy dork" category. Never hire a guy who tells you that your job is his dream job. We need performers not dreamers.

No personal criticism here Nik but I've never heard the term "dream job" used except in reference to college football. Whenever I hear a college coach us that phrase I immediately put them into my "***** dork" category. Never hire a guy who tells you that your job is his dream job. We need performers not dreamers.

It takes all kinds of perspectives to make this world go round, no matter how unique they may be.

No personal criticism here Nik but I've never heard the term "dream job" used except in reference to college football. Whenever I hear a college coach us that phrase I immediately put them into my "***** dork" category. Never hire a guy who tells you that your job is his dream job. We need performers not dreamers.
Remember when Norm got the job as the QC taste tester at a brewery on Cheers? That's a dream job. :ROFLMAO:

Back