What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

I think Yates would be a good hire (without actually knowing him). Seems like a good fit, has their D playing really well. Hire an up/coming OC and you could have a good situation there. Bring in Joe Saleava to be the DC (as an understudy of Yates' system) or the DL coach / recruiting coordinator perhaps. I don't know if big Joe has a DC sort of mind (or not). But he's a Wildcat alum and I think he'd leave for Tucson with the right deal.

Tate spooked'em

Coach Ken is really confused about his future. He better watch out or he will become the guy always known for flirting but never committing!!! Not sure he was going to find a better opportunity than what he was in the running for at AZ. It is not like you re-negotiate with the Navy Academy for millions and millions more dollars.

I think Yates would be a good hire (without actually knowing him). Seems like a good fit, has their D playing really well. Hire an up/coming OC and you could have a good situation there. Bring in Joe Saleava to be the DC (as an understudy of Yates' system) or the DL coach / recruiting coordinator perhaps. I don't know if big Joe has a DC sort of mind (or not). But he's a Wildcat alum and I think he'd leave for Tucson with the right deal.
Their defense was awful last year. Yes they were young but still terrible.

Coach Ken is really confused about his future. He better watch out or he will become the guy always known for flirting but never committing!!! Not sure he was going to find a better opportunity than what he was in the running for at AZ. It is not like you re-negotiate with the Navy Academy for millions and millions more dollars.
On the other hand, at a place like Navy, he is given a lot of rope. He can coach there for another 30 years. Job security in coaching is a very rare commodity.

Giving Yates the opportunity would make sense. If it works out, he keeps the team together and avoids this turning into a rebuild situation.

However, their defense has pretty much sucked under him the past 2 years.

Their defense was awful last year. Yes they were young but still terrible.
Their defense was improved. You need to go look at 2015 (pre-Yates) vs 2016 (Yates year 1) and 2017. Let me know what you find if you can pull those. The general feeling around the program was that their defense was vastly improved.

Here's a mid season review, touting the defensive improvement.
They didn't finish as strong, but they also incurred a lot of injuries (3 DL out for all or most of that period).

Last edited:
Didn't OU also poach their LB coach Manning? I still am pissed at them for stealing Leavitt and Clark. OU isn't making any friends. Add Wazzu to the list of schools wanting blood when they play the ducks.
I'm sorry, but I think poaching lateral moves within a conference is absolute bull****.

Yep. I’ll bet he realized that the “yes sir, no sir” culture is a much easier coaching situation than trying to keep entitled superstars happy. Good decision.
Did you read the article? It said the Arizona's President was thrown off by Tate's tweet, not coach N.

I don't have a problem with hiring from a conference opponents for and advancement. I just think it's lowbrow when it is a lateral move.
Oh, it's definitely going for the jugular as a competitor. It's not friendly and ****s on any esprit de corps as a conference member. But I have a certain kind of respect for giving zero ****s about any of that and seeing only: makes us better while making our competitor worse.

Yeah, Herm isn’t an upgrade and neither is Christobal. Sumlin is only an upgrade of you believe he can elevate their recruiting, but he’s not a better coach than Rich Rod. UCLA is an upgrade for sure and I think it’s far too early to know whether Jonathan Smith is an upgrade over Gary Anderson at Oregon State.

I'm not even sold on Chip Kelly. He had a great 4 year run at Oregon. Elite 4 years, actually. But that's been followed by 6 years in the NFL that were a complete failure. In Philadelphia, he lost the locker room and failed. In San Francisco it was a 1 year disaster. Then 1 year as some sort of ESPN guy who I think was on the NFL crew. I'm skeptical on whether he can recapture the Oregon magic from 6 years ago and whether he really has the love & hunger for it to make that happen.

Last edited:
Based on the stories coming out of Tucson regarding Rich Rod’s behavior and their abysmal defense the last couple years, I’d say Sumlin is at least a wash, if not an upgrade. I think Sumlin has a higher upside than Rich Rod, too. It’s certainly a matter of opinion.

I'm not even sold on Chip Kelly. He had a great 4 year run at Oregon. Elite 4 years, actually. But that's been followed by 6 years in the NFL that were a complete failure. In Philadelphia, he lost the locker room and failed. In San Francisco it was a 1 year disaster. I'm skeptical on whether he can recapture the Oregon magic from 6 years ago and whether he really has the love & hunger for it to make that happen.
True, but he’s also a big name and that’s important at a place like UCLA. He has all the makings of a Chuck Fairbanks type hire, I.e. just taking a big paycheck and not applying himself as a coach.

I don't think MM is worried about what the other teams in the conference are doing, only thing that matters is whether his team is good enough. I seem to remember everyone talking about how great the coaches in this conference were the last few years, then MM managed an 8-1 Pac-12 run pretty much embarrassing the lot of them, maybe we should wait and see how these guys do and how we match up.

My best friend was the shooting coach at the Air Academy for 8 yrs and left to pursue other options within the Air Force and Homeland Security/ICE. That was years ago and he tells me every now and then how much he misses working with the team. Coach Ken will never get rich coaching at the Academy, Fisher DeBerry didn't either and he loved coaching at the Academy.

Coaching in Pac 12 south division is highly suspect.

USC: Helton is a mediocre head coach, made to look somewhat better than he is by great QB play. That QB plus several others have declared for draft. It will be an interesting year for Helton. I’m on record that I think they lose five games.

UCLA: Yes, Chip is an upgrade over Mora, but I agree with Nik. Jury is out on Chips ability to recapture magic without Uncle Phil, Mike Belotti, and Nick Aliotta.

Arizona: Sumlin isn’t a good coach. Period. Did nothing at TAMU with excellent talent.

ASU: Herm freaking Edwards. Baaaaaaaaaaaa

Utah: Same good coach, upgraded assistants.

Hardly a murderers row like, say, in the Big Ten, which has quality coaching nearly top to bottom.

Coaching in Pac 12 south division is highly suspect.

USC: Helton is a mediocre head coach, made to look somewhat better than he is by great QB play. That QB plus several others have declared for draft. It will be an interesting year for Helton. I’m on record that I think they lose five games.

UCLA: Yes, Chip is an upgrade over Mora, but I agree with Nik. Jury is out on Chips ability to recapture magic without Uncle Phil, Mike Belotti, and Nick Aliotta.

Arizona: Sumlin isn’t a good coach. Period. Did nothing at TAMU with excellent talent.

ASU: Herm freaking Edwards. Baaaaaaaaaaaa

Utah: Same good coach, upgraded assistants.

Hardly a murderers row like, say, in the Big Ten, which has quality coaching nearly top to bottom.
I pretty much agree with this, except on Chip Kelly. I feel that he will be good at UCLA (and can't wait to be wrong). I hope any success he has hurts USC the most.

Back