What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Bobo has a ways to go before being considered for a head job in the SEC. He hasn’t done much of note at CSU.
He has a chance to run the table in the MWC this year which would leave them 10-2 with loses to CU and at Alabama, that was good enough to get Sparkles the Florida gig. He still has some tough games left but not impossible.

I do not think MacIntyre is as hot of a commodity as fans on this board think. I do think MacIntyre is smart enough to know he will get eaten alive in the SEC. IMO, he does not have the personality. Forde is just writing an article and throwing names on the wall - if he throws enough names he will be right eventually.
Yeah, cause the SEC is so tough and has so many great coaches, there’s no possible way a guy who has turned two of the worst programs in the country into 10 win teams could have success there. He would definitely get eaten alive by that group of alpha dogs in the SEC... GMAFB, it’s that kind of mentality that has duped the entire country into thinking the SEC is the NFL-Lite.

I do not think MacIntyre is as hot of a commodity as fans on this board think. I do think MacIntyre is smart enough to know he will get eaten alive in the SEC. IMO, he does not have the personality. Forde is just writing an article and throwing names on the wall - if he throws enough names he will be right eventually.

MM is probably pissed off over the kangaroo court treatment and the $100K penalty he incurred in the Tumpkin matter, and I believe that he sometimes looks ahead to his next job. (Just career planning.) I think he might be misguided in getting too amped up about that however. Despite the mentality of the hardcore fans here, IMO he can stay here as long as he keeps the team bowl eligible and isn't caught up in any major scandals. The press is largely indifferent to CU and a lot of the fans are still exhaling relief over being free from the Era of Hawkins/Embree. Averaging 7 wins will not jeopardize his job and will get him another extension as long as the attendance doesn't nosedive.

I agree that he'd be eaten like hamburger in the SEC and I'd add the B1G too. The CU job is a good fit for him because it really doesn't bring sky-high expectations with it at the moment, a blessing while he tries to keep making incremental improvements. His skin is kind of thin right now and he needs to work on that.

If CU ever goes downhill under MM and he gets let go, he can likely go to a G5 program and live out his coaching career, probably successfully, a la Frank Solich at Ohio U.

Ole Miss job has to be one of the worst in the SEC, but I could still see him leaving for that job. He now knows exactly how crazy CU can be and the nonsense that comes from the school sometimes.

I’ve got confidence in RG though. If MikeMac leaves, we’ll find someone good.
Ole Miss fans would eat him up. Wrong personality for that crowd. He’s have to get topside protection from Bjork, Cutt and Mannings.

Yeah, cause the SEC is so tough and has so many great coaches, there’s no possible way a guy who has turned two of the worst programs in the country into 10 win teams could have success there. He would definitely get eaten alive by that group of alpha dogs in the SEC... GMAFB, it’s that kind of mentality that has duped the entire country into thinking the SEC is the NFL-Lite.

I think the poster meant "eaten alive" by fan, booster, and media expectations. Look at the current situation in Gainesville; they're ready to throw Jim Mc off the bus.

I think the poster meant "eaten alive" by fan, booster, and media expectations. Look at the current situation in Gainesville; they're ready to throw Jim Mc off the bus.
Ole Miss tried the “SEC way” and they got hammered with sanctions and national embarrassment. They’d do extremely well to go “clean” for a while with a coach that has ties there, a COY award, and a track record of turning downtrodden programs into nationally relevant.

If I was a national writer speculating on this stuff, MacIntyre to Ole Miss would make a lot of sense to me. Reigning national coach of the year, known as a rebuild guru, ties to the program, and resources to offer him a bigger contract. Plus, Ole Miss is known as a place that has a religious litmus test among the key boosters for hiring a coach and MM is the right kind of religious for them.

I think he is a better coach than many here give him credit for. He has he faults be he is a good coach.

That would be a hard sell for an SEC Athletic Director to make to the donors. This is a coach that has two winning seasons in his entire career and has never been the coach of record in a winning bowl game.

He has also never had close to a top 25 recruiting class and never signed a high national level recruit.

He is not known for a personality that attracts alums and boosters, he isn't the glad handing personality type.

The things he has proven he does well, graduate players, run a clean program, build strong relationships, are way down the priority scale in places like the SEC.

Give him a few more winning seasons and measurable accomplishments and he becomes a target, right now I don't see it.

I think that MacIntyre is a victim of his own success with CU fans this season. If last year had been 7 or 8 wins the attitudes about being 4-3 would be a lot different right now. But folks seem to think that 1 season makes a norm and that this program should be able to reload at this stage.

I think that MacIntyre is a victim of his own success with CU fans this season. If last year had been 7 or 8 wins the attitudes about being 4-3 would be a lot different right now. But folks seem to think that 1 season makes a norm and that this program should be able to reload at this stage.
How do you think he fares next year? It will probably tell more if 8 wins was an aberration or not.

1, 0, 1, 8, 2/3.

A 6 or 7 seems necessary or the 8 really begins to look like an anomaly.

Fundamentally, is this team on a path to NY6 Bowl by 2020 as a stated goal?

In my opinion, no at this moment.

How do you think he fares next year? It will probably tell more if 8 wins was an aberration or not.

1, 0, 1, 8, 2/3.

A 6 or 7 seems necessary or the 8 really begins to look like an anomaly.

Fundamentally, is this team on a path to NY6 Bowl by 2020 as a stated goal?

In my opinion, no at this moment.
The Seniors that will be playing in the 2020 season are true Freshman this year...

The Seniors that will be playing in the 2020 season are true Freshman this year...
That’s true. It’s a pretty good group. Does not seem NY6 trajectory especially with what next year’s class looks like to me at the moment.

You can’t recruit middle of P12 and expect a NY6 bowl. There is a disconnect.

That’s true. It’s a pretty good group. Does not seem NY6 trajectory especially with what next year’s class looks like to me at the moment.

You can’t recruit middle of P12 and expect a NY6 bowl. There is a disconnect.
Point is, ~80% or more of the roster in 2020 is still in high school right now. We all agree recruiting has to improve, but to say they aren’t on track for something that is 4 years away is worthless.

Point is, ~80% or more of the roster in 2020 is still in high school right now. We all agree recruiting has to improve, but to say they aren’t on track for something that is 4 years away is worthless.
Here’s the link.

Stats matter to winning MM, to date, has nothing in his past to suggest Top 10 recruiting. To the contrary, there is substantial evidence.

I see nothing in this year’s frosh or next year’s recruits to suggest he is on the path suggested by his boss.

Maybe you interpret the data different than me. That’s OK, too.

You are basically just saying to lower expectations going forward.

Perhaps to some, but if you came in with expectations of 7 or 8 wins, this is not looking good. We very well might be the 11th best P12 team in year 5, that's not ok man. I'm not on the fire Mac train, but if last year was an aberration and this is really the norm, we're in trouble.

Based on this am I to assume that Butch Jones is on his way to a coaching job in the B12

upload_2017-10-21_14-37-22.png

Ole Miss tried the “SEC way” and they got hammered with sanctions and national embarrassment. They’d do extremely well to go “clean” for a while with a coach that has ties there, a COY award, and a track record of turning downtrodden programs into nationally relevant.

I don't disagree, but SEC West programs don't get rewarded for being logical. They'll just find a more slippery/opaque version of what they just did.

Why do you relentlessly make excuses for MacIntyre??????? This is year 5, and CU sucks, likely the 2nd worst team in the PAC 12. CU has one of the very worst defensive lines I have seen in almost 30 years as a season ticket holder. And defensive line recruiting is horrific.

The low expectations of many CU fans is one of the main things that kills both the football and basketball programs.

I don't disagree, but SEC West programs don't get rewarded for being logical. They'll just find a more slippery/opaque version of what they just did.

You might have three or four jobs in that league open that are more attractive than that one is. Tennessee is a lock to fire Food cart, Sparkles could get the ax at UF, Sumlin might leave A&M or get fired, Dan Mullen will probably leave MSU at some point.....and thats before we start talking about jobs like Nebraska, which is a more attractive opening than Ole Miss is currently. MacIntyre would be a home run for Ole Miss and they'd give him a six or seven year deal if he wanted it.

You're wrong Nik. If he can't pull off a bowl with this OOC schedule, that's a huge problem.....especially with talent that is almost exclusively his recruits.

I am talking about the fans and the press in the SEC...he could fit in a place like Vandy but most of the other stops in the SEC have unrealistic expectations. Those programs don't tolerate rebuilding very well.

Why do you relentlessly make excuses for MacIntyre??????? This is year 5, and CU sucks, likely the 2nd worst team in the PAC 12. CU has one of the very worst defensive lines I have seen in almost 30 years as a season ticket holder. And defensive line recruiting is horrific.

The low expectations of many CU fans is one of the main things that kills both the football and basketball programs.
Easy man, you are entitled to your opinion no doubt. Nik wouldn't be saying it if he didn't believe it, dude doesn't work that way.

I had no idea both the football and basketball programs had been killed. Hmmm. Learn something new everyday.

Back