What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

I got the feeling Chiv was the coach in waiting and that Mac would split after his son graduated. The contract extension was strictly to line our pockets with buyout money for the next coach’s salary (around $2.5 - $3 mil a year for 4 years, etc).

Felt like JL and Chiv were both forced on MM by AD George; totally fine with that by the way. I like MM but he isn’t George’s guy. I also don’t think Chiv is “ready,” but I definitely think the potential is there in a few years.

Okay, how nuts am I?

That is not how the buyout works. CU owes that to MM if he is fired. His buyout he owes to CU if he leaves is significantly less.

Chev as a HCIW sounds crazy given where his career was at the time when he was hired. Not buying it at all.

FootballScoop report on the Ole Miss job reads to me like MacIntyre is a very strong possibility.

http://footballscoop.com/news/situation-ole-miss-wednesday-november-22/

Based on conversations with those in the profession, here’s what we do know about the Ole Miss search: the Rebels are looking for a program-builder, one that will be given the full support of the administration to construct his program in his image. Although it remains to be seen if one might accept, it is our understanding Ole Miss has been having conversations with representatives of current Power 5 head coaches, in addition to plenty of Group of 5 head coaches.

Colorado coach Mike MacIntyre reportedly wants the job as does UTSA’s Frank Wilson.

MacIntyre won six games in his first two seasons at San Jose State, then won 10 in 2012 and moved on to Colorado. In Mac’s first three seasons in Boulder the Buffs won 10 games, then (with Jim Leavitt’s help) they won 10 in 2016. The Buffs (currently 5-6) close out their regular season Saturday at Utah.
So, who then ends up with the top two jobs that leaves open: Florida State and Colorado?

If MM leaves for Ole Miss......there's not a lot in terms of G5 guys who wow
Pete Thamel's predictions:

Chip Kelly - UCLA
Scott Frost - Florida
Matt Campbell - Tennessee
Jimbo Fisher - Texas A&M
Mike Leach - Nebraska
Mike MacIntyre - Mississippi
Mike Norvell - Arkansas
Beau Baldwin - Oregon State
Kevin Sumlin - Arizona State

If Thamel is right......RG will talk to Miles.....and we gotta look into Blake Anderson and Chad Morris. As far as coordinators........Justin Wilcox's success is going to get more guys on that side of the ball looks this year-I'd get excited about Brent Venables (especially if he can talk Tony Elliott/Jeff Scott/Brandon Streeter into coming with him as an OC), I like Pete Kwiatkowski a lot, and why not interview Mr. Pepsi? He knows our talent, knows this league, and we all know he can coach.

My vote to replace HCMM is either JMFL or Mick McCall OC at Northwestern. Both older guys who are looking to make a last stop and both guys can flat coach.

Isn’t it widely accepted that bridges were burned when Leavitt left? He ain’t coming back.
How so? Maybe with MM, but I didn't hear any issues with the AD. They just couldn't match the offer that Oregon had. Trust me, no bridge is too burned.

So how sure are we about MM to Ole Miss?

I think I'd be cool with it (depending on our successive hire), but I was under the impression that he wouldn't leave while JMac was here?

So how sure are we about MM to Ole Miss?

I think I'd be cool with it (depending on our successive hire), but I was under the impression that he wouldn't leave while JMac was here?
Would be very surprised if he went. He would not do well there. He’s behind Taggert, likely others, for the job.

Would be very surprised if he went. He would not do well there. He’s behind Taggert, likely others, for the job.

Thats all going to depend on what kind of NCAA punishment they get-the harder the NCAA hits them, the more attractive MM is.

You think Chiv is ready for OC? I like him but have my doubts.
I'd feel much more confident if he was OC under a HC who was more in the Jeff Tedford lane. For comparison, I was skeptical about Troy Walters becoming an OC. But under a HC like Frost (who learned under Kelly and Helfrich), he has been fantastic. With a defensive coach as HC, I'm not a cheerleader for Chev becoming full OC.

So hire Scott Frost, UCF keeps Walters for another year, and Chev learns under Frost. Nebraska gets stuck with Bielema because they put all their hope on hiring Frost.

michael-scott-the-office-win-win-win.png

I'd feel much more confident if he was OC under a HC who was more in the Jeff Tedford lane. For comparison, I was skeptical about Troy Walters becoming an OC. But under a HC like Frost (who learned under Kelly and Helfrich), he has been fantastic. With a defensive coach as HC, I'm not a cheerleader for Chev becoming full OC.
Good points.

Thats all going to depend on what kind of NCAA punishment they get-the harder the NCAA hits them, the more attractive MM is.
I thought I read somewhere MM was interested in taking job even without knowing sanctions. Probably a rumor, like much of this, but that would be crazy in my opinion.

As someone who has not been a fan of MacIntyre, I would be great to have Ole Miss come in and hire him. Maybe he would take most of his staff with him. I just don't think anyone looking too close under the hood is going to hire him but hey strange things happen all of the time.

I believe in RG to do a proper coaching search rather than the way Bohn would do it.

Back