What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2020 Fall Camp Thread

Yeah but he is an offensive line coach at heart don’t you think?
I think Duffs point in this context is that it’s hard to be an OC and not also coach the QBs. The time, logistics, hands on coaching the most important position, etc. It’s probably why the Packers moved Reid to QB coach.

We still have no idea if it will be very good or not. We hope and there is some proof that it could be good but I've heard this before.

The season could depend on how well that part of the offense does because regardless of who the coach was going to be this season, the Buffs would be more of a run team anyway due to new QB and some new WRs. UCLA (5), ASU (4), and Stanford (8) would be a good test to see how the running game is (conference only rank for each team's rush defense last year).

I'd love to see CU improve on its 40% third down conversion rate from last season (conference only stats). CU averaged 4.2 yards per carry last season and that was good for 3rd in conference play behind Utah & Oregon's 4.8 ypc.

CU's passing game ranked in the bottom quarter of the P12 with a fifth year QB and LaViska. I don't expect much improvement in that department and that is why the running game is critical this season.

It is comical to me that so many people seem certain how the season will go. Hello, it’s 2020 and the variables are out of control. Let’s just buckle in and enjoy the ride. Even if it does go off the tracks and plummet to earth, we have to remind ourselves that it hasn’t yet and support the team like most always do each year. Last thought, f*** UCLA and here’s to kicking the snob right out of them!

The season could depend on how well that part of the offense does because regardless of who the coach was going to be this season, the Buffs would be more of a run team anyway due to new QB and some new WRs. UCLA (5), ASU (4), and Stanford (8) would be a good test to see how the running game is (conference only rank for each team's rush defense last year).

I'd love to see CU improve on its 40% third down conversion rate from last season (conference only stats). CU averaged 4.2 yards per carry last season and that was good for 3rd in conference play behind Utah & Oregon's 4.8 ypc.

CU's passing game ranked in the bottom quarter of the P12 with a fifth year QB and LaViska. I don't expect much improvement in that department and that is why the running game is critical this season.
Part of why I liked Tucker was because he identified immediately where he needed to improve the roster. He brought in a grad transfer safety and grad transfer LT. Both were big time players for CU last year. How do you as Dorrell not see the situation we have at QB and not at least try and address that? I mean, I guess he could have, but it looks like he did not.

I think the RB position will be solid, but it doesn't matter when your QB is absolutely terrible. A good program is bringing in at least 1-2 transfers a year. Apparently this roster is on the verge of a P12 championship and no reason to change that.

I think Duffs point in this context is that it’s hard to be an OC and not also coach the QBs. The time, logistics, hands on coaching the most important position, etc. It’s probably why the Packers moved Reid to QB coach.

Pro game is much different. You have a lot more practice time and film study with coaches. Also, no recruiting.

I think the purpose of the season should be to take advantage of the free season of eligibility to get long looks at most of the freshman class, see who will be future contributors and use that to encourage a bunch of upper class attrition in the off-season and recruit our asses off. So far I’m not seeing it, at least in recruiting.
Haven't you heard? It's not smart to play freshmen, so that's why CU is the only program that doesn't.

Part of why I liked Tucker was because he identified immediately where he needed to improve the roster. He brought in a grad transfer safety and grad transfer LT. Both were big time players for CU last year. How do you as Dorrell not see the situation we have at QB and not at least try and address that? I mean, I guess he could have, but it looks like he did not.

I think the RB position will be solid, but it doesn't matter when your QB is absolutely terrible. A good program is bringing in at least 1-2 transfers a year. Apparently this roster is on the verge of a P12 championship and no reason to change that.

Yes I agree about the transfer QB. Keep in mind that Tucker resigned as CU coach on February 12th and then you had the coronavirus outbreak. That would have been huge odds for any incoming QB to win the job given the circumstances.

I'm trying my best to keep expectations low and closer to reality but I'm sick of doing that. I want to see something good out of this Buffs squad this year such as a winning season. A good running game would be great to watch given my love for the option growing up in the 1990's. If neither happens, I'm entering the fan transfer portal.

Graduate transfers can play immediately (under normal conditions), and that takes some serious courting, too—often a near promise to start: recalling the Texas Tech QB who pulled out at last minute to go to Cal because Sefo could move around without a limp at the Spring Game. This is not a snap your fingers and bring in a great starter deal.
Yeah, I keep trying to find out where this magical store is where a losing program with a questionable offensive line can go out and just pluck a top flight QB off the shelf who will come in and make them a winner.

There are some quality transfer QBs out there, and they go to places where they can expect to win and showcase their skills for the league.

If this were a normal year that actually counted, I could see the logic in being more conservative.
If recruiting really is 80% of the deal, then this season does matter. KD is an unknown and until he gets some people turning their heads, recruiting will suffer.

KD seems to be a guy who can't generate the enthusiasm without the proof. I think it's imperative for KD to have 2020 success or this thing is over

If recruiting really is 80% of the deal, then this season does matter. KD is an unknown and until he gets some people turning their heads, recruiting will suffer.

KD seems to be a guy who can't generate the enthusiasm without the proof. I think it's imperative for KD to have 2020 success or this thing is over
His team can’t generate success with mediocre players. Selling early playing time and a committed CU culture is what he’ll need to do. Instead, he won’t. Recruiting will suffer not because of results. We don’t have ACs who are closers. Unless we cut the dead weight from the AC staff, our fate is sealed.

His team can’t generate success with mediocre players. Selling early playing time and a committed CU culture is what he’ll need to do. Instead, he won’t. Recruiting will suffer not because of results. We don’t have ACs who are closers. Unless we cut the dead weight from the AC staff, our fate is sealed.
So your ok losing 7? If Noyer could be serviceable we could have a good year and get momentum.

The only recruiting that matters for HCKD‘s 2020 season is what he did to keep the 2020 class together, enrolled and ready to play next weekend and beyond. So chill out... Enjoy the season.

It is comical to me that so many people seem certain how the season will go. Hello, it’s 2020 and the variables are out of control. Let’s just buckle in and enjoy the ride. Even if it does go off the tracks and plummet to earth, we have to remind ourselves that it hasn’t yet and support the team like most always do each year. Last thought, f*** UCLA and here’s to kicking the snob right out of them!
+1. Good post.

So your ok losing 7? If Noyer could be serviceable we could have a good year and get momentum.

This year is totally irrelevant. Colorado will not be in the running for any conference title games or CFP berths. Colorado will probably not attend a bowl game since most will be canceled.

However, getting game run for your true freshman QB, seeing what you have, and getting him ready for 2021 is important. 2021 is likely to be a full or mostly full season.

Momentum is overrated when you’re without ACs who can sell your program. You need ACs who can close the deal with better recruits than the ones on your team. We do not have a sufficient number of good ACs who can recruit.

BTW, Colorado is still a favorite to win two or fewer games even with Noyer at the helm. Then, we’re doubly fcked because Lewis didn’t get enough crucial game and practice reps and we still won’t have coaches who can close.

This year is totally irrelevant. Colorado will not be in the running for any conference title games or CFP berths. Colorado will probably not attend a bowl game since most will be canceled.

However, getting game run for your true freshman QB, seeing what you have, and getting him ready for 2021 is important. 2021 is likely to be a full or mostly full season.

Momentum is overrated when you’re without ACs who can sell your program. You need ACs who can close the deal with better recruits than the ones on your team. We do not have a sufficient number of good ACs who can recruit.

BTW, Colorado is still a favorite to win two or fewer games even with Noyer at the helm. Then, we’re doubly fcked because Lewis didn’t get enough crucial game and practice reps and we still won’t have coaches who can close.
a. this year is not irrelevant. We have a HC who no recruit ever heard of. We need to open some eyes this year to give him any chance.
b. Getting game run for a true freshman QB without any of us knowing if he's done what they've asked him and if he's ready seems a bit speculative.
c. KD isn't married to any of these ACs. He had to put together this staff at a very weird time. I agree we have some non-performing ACs but proven ones are struggling as well. KD is tough to sell right now.
d. What oddsmakers are picking with or without Noyer has nothing to do with what the coaches think in terms of who can give us the best chance to win. Nobody has a clue so they are equially discounting the QB situation. It's a giant risk for the betting game until proven otherwise.

I'd like to win games this year.
I'd also like to see the true frosh QB get reps but would be nice if he was making the case for them. We don't know.

a. this year is not irrelevant. We have a HC who no recruit ever heard of. We need to open some eyes this year to give him any chance.
b. Getting game run for a true freshman QB without any of us knowing if he's done what they've asked him and if he's ready seems a bit speculative.
c. KD isn't married to any of these ACs. He had to put together this staff at a very weird time. I agree we have some non-performing ACs but proven ones are struggling as well. KD is tough to sell right now.
d. What oddsmakers are picking with or without Noyer has nothing to do with what the coaches think in terms of who can give us the best chance to win. Nobody has a clue so they are equially discounting the QB situation. It's a giant risk for the betting game until proven otherwise.

I'd like to win games this year.
I'd also like to see the true frosh QB get reps but would be nice if he was making the case for them. We don't know.
1. You keep acting like momentum is a thing that can be accomplished without skilled salespeople as ACs. Who are these mythical assistants on staff that can spread the gospel of Dorrell? He may not be tied to them forever, but he is tied to them through the bulk of this recruiting cycle.
2. We will not contend for anything relevant this season. It seems like we have terrible upperclass options at QB. Why not give game run to a player who will be available when we return to relevant play in future seasons?
3. I agree that there’s a lot of difficulty handicapping this season, but bad is bad. This team will not win more than two games. Hoping we have a better record and not getting game time evaluations of players who will be here going forward is a big mistake.

Last edited:
Our recruiting is currently bottom tier in p12. No signs of significant improvement in the next class either. Results like that don't get you bowl games. We know this because of the last 15 years.
No. Recruiting is bad because the AD hired a guy no one has ever heard of because he will be married to CU!

No. Recruiting is bad because the AD hired a guy no one has ever heard of because he will be married to CU!
You act like what you start with is all you will ever become - did you peak in elementary school or something? Quit hating on a guy before he had even had a chance and let’s see what he can do. Any coach who is “known” by some people was at some point “unknown” to those same people.

Our roster still needs a fair amount of turn over if we’re going to be a good program. If that means older guys get a chance to play, and either perform, or are benched in favor of younger guys, I’m fine with that. You’d think the result would be that a number of roster spots open up as transfers happen, and then we can recruit better players. This would be the perfect year to do something like this at the expense of a worse record.

Problem is that I am not confident that this is how this staff will handle this, and more importantly, I have zero confidence thus far that they are capable of recruiting over this roster.

And the bold is why this staff will not succeed. They cannot recruit or have not show any proclivity to do so well at this point. 3 years and we are going to be doing this all over again.

The fatalism and negativity towards the staff is really perplexing. Anyone claiming it is a failure already is positioning themselves very curiously: 1) rooting against the staff to be “right” in their assessment, or 2) wanting them to be successful, since it means the Buffs are successful, but hindering their efforts by spewing unhelpful opinions.

I don’t get it, fellas. I am starting to chalk up any of the doom and gloom crowd as being guys who aren’t secure if their own personal accomplishments and instead focus on judging others.

You act like what you start with is all you will ever become - did you peak in elementary school or something? Quit hating on a guy before he had even had a chance and let’s see what he can do. Any coach who is “known” by some people was at some point “unknown” to those same people.
Not a guy in his late 50’s who has been coaching P5 football since the early 90’s. If you’re still an unknown after nearly 30 years of coaching, that says something.

Not a guy in his late 50’s who has been coaching P5 football since the early 90’s. If you’re still an unknown after nearly 30 years of coaching, that says something.
Cool story, bro. My post still is true.

You think opinions on this board are making Dorrell’s job harder?? Who knew we had so much power here?
It for sure doesn’t help and has the potential to hurt momentum if a recruit reads the boards. Plus, it just frustrates people who actually want to support the staff and give them a chance.

Back