What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Buffs vs. UCLA Game Thread

I wonder how many called runs there were for Sefo, though. Every sack counts as a run. Every scramble that turns into a run of a yard or two counts as a run. I'd guess that about half of it was that stuff and most of the rest was on read option where he read the DE committing to the RB. Maybe 5 calls all night that went into the huddle as "Sefo is running this one".
nice. I didn't realize that college differed from the NFL with this.

Worried about our receivers not getting open
Our receivers were getting open. Sefo didn't have time to get the passes off. There was one play in the first half where I think it was Foelds was wide ope. Down the sideline. Nobody within 15 yards of him. Sefo got sacked. The OL needs to give him another half second.

And we need a f-ing tight end. UCLA was giving us the middle of the field all day long. A few tosses to the TE in that game and we are up be 20. Frustrating.

They ran Lindsay 24 times and passed to him 11 times. How many more touches can you possibly expect to give him?

Fields and Ross were not getting open most of the night, although Fields did run out of bounds on a crucial play and Ross dropped a deep ball.

We really do not have a choice. The QB rush is a significant portion of this offense.

I think our coaches will tailor the offense to individual QB strengths. You are just trying to push a dumb narrative for no reason.

i think getting a tight end involved in this offense would kick some ass...

Next time, don't take my comments deliberately out of context. The "dumb narrative" comment had nothing at all to do with Sefo's poor play last night, so stop making stuff up.

Are you a Bully or do you just play one on TV? Nothing was made up, it was your quote! Too bad if you do not like the comment or opinion posted, it is an open forum and unless you are Jesus.... My point stands - Running your QB 23 times is excessive, particularly when injured and definitely when it is for 2 yards per rush. Spin all you like, Sefo's performance was terrible and so were the calls for him to rush the ball as Lindgren did.

Uh, the "dumb narrative" quote was directed toward your comment on Lytle. So yeah, stop deliberately taking quotes out of context.

If you visit Allbuffs often you will note that there's A LOT of sentiment for Sefo. I understand a RESPECT element and a LIKE element, but sentiment is bull****. I don't know what MM's decision making process is for switching QBs during a game, but apparently last night's game didn't trip the threshold. Very fortunate to get the win, and winning defers the tough conversations. The whole issue does go away relatively soon.

This is a really funny post.

I'm glad that we are able to rip each other over the perceived quality of a 5th PAC12 win in one season, with 3 more regular conference games to go. It's a good problem to have, at least compared with the past decade or so.....

Man, if Sefo runs, so be it. The dude isn't Joe Montana passing. It's part of his game whether coaches call a run or not. The injury part is anyone is one play from it.

I'm glad that we are able to rip each other over the perceived quality of a 5th PAC12 win in one season, with 3 more regular conference games to go. It's a good problem to have, at least compared with the past decade or so.....

I didn't realize this until you posted it: THIS IS THE FIRST WINNING SEASON FOR THE BUFFS IN PAC-12 PLAY!

Went unmarked for me even though it's a big damn deal because it's such a small thing compared with the other goals that are still on the table. Allsome. :cool:

Our receivers were getting open. Sefo didn't have time to get the passes off. There was one play in the first half where I think it was Foelds was wide ope. Down the sideline. Nobody within 15 yards of him. Sefo got sacked. The OL needs to give him another half second.

And we need a f-ing tight end. UCLA was giving us the middle of the field all day long. A few tosses to the TE in that game and we are up be 20. Frustrating.

Is Bernardi mailing it in this year?

HCMM should have Lindgren running laps too. Sefo rushed 23 times (option or called plays) for 2 yards a carry. Ridiculous on so many levels:
CU has the leading rusher in the Pac12
Not passing to Fields and Ross
An injured QB, let's run him up the gut repeatedly
Hope Lytle wasn't watching, he's already a soft verbal for that exact reason
How many? Levels I mean. Can you name 2 or 3 of these levels? :sneaky:

Hopefully our best pass rusher won't get tossed because of an inadvertent "targeting" call in the WSU game.

This was a big factor. Prior to getting ejected they had no answer for Jimmy, he spent as much time in their backfield as their backs did.

When he left the game we had some guys work hard to fill in but the pass rush got very little pressure except when JL was bringing extra people from a variety of positions. Bringing those people unfortunately leaves open the spot they would normally be covering.

Not passing to Fields and Ross

2. Fields and Ross were open, Sefo returned to his previous form of not going thru progressions - he flat out missed them. Montez was only in for a brief stint but immediately hit a slant to Fields and under threw Ross. The WR's were clearly upset with Sefo's erratic throws all night - they were open.

These two quotes seem to be contradictory. Sefo was so inaccurate that he missed Fields and Ross when wide open and ran the considerable risk of throwing more picks. Therefore it was WISE of Lindgren to instruct Sefo to stop throwing to Fields and Ross and instead give Lindsay 35 touches and have Sefo take a low-risk alternative to passing by catching the snap and running. We had already turned the ball over 4 times. Clearly an adjustment was needed.

By the way, Sefo runs have the builtin advantage of gaining an extra blocker and utilizing Sefo's obvious strengths of size, strength, and physical toughness while eliminating his weaknesses(inaccuracy). It sounds like your beef is with MM and BL for not benching Sefo and putting Montez in. So why not just say that? That would be a reasonable opinion that many would agree with.

If your ultimate goal is to have Montez starting at QB instead of Sefo then I'd think you'd be a huge fan of running Sefo 40 times a game. Maybe I didn't understand your ake on this.

I doubt Lytle is "soft" but if he is the reason has more to do with Montez than because Lindgren runs Sefo too many times a game.

They ran Lindsay 24 times and passed to him 11 times. How many more touches can you possibly expect to give him?

Fields and Ross were not getting open most of the night, although Fields did run out of bounds on a crucial play and Ross dropped a deep ball.

We really do not have a choice. The QB rush is a significant portion of this offense.

I think our coaches will tailor the offense to individual QB strengths. You are just trying to push a dumb narrative for no reason.

This is a bizarre post. Lindsay is not the only RB on the team. Evans or any other RB could have used a few more touches last night, especially after how Utah exposed UCLA's run defense. At one point in the game I checked the box score and Sefo had 21 rushes and PL was around 15. I know that a lot of Sefi runs weren't designed, but that is a lot of carries for a QB that spent part of the 2nd quarter getting treatment.

I think you need to rewatch the game because all the WRs were getting open on deeper routes but Sefo would look for a dumpoff or not have time to setup and hit those deeper routes. Sefo is either having pain in his foot or footsteps in his head because his footwork was bad, especially when passing to his right.

That was my takeaway as well. The offensive struggles had a large part to do with some stud athletes on the other side of the ball.
So our 2/3 stars whipped their 3/4 stars? Maybe our coaching staff is pretty decent after all.

If you visit Allbuffs often you will note that there's A LOT of sentiment for Sefo. I understand a RESPECT element and a LIKE element, but sentiment is bull****. I don't know what MM's decision making process is for switching QBs during a game, but apparently last night's game didn't trip the threshold. Very fortunate to get the win, and winning defers the tough conversations. The whole issue does go away relatively soon.

p1ij6.jpg

"Mawkish Emotional Tie", "Emotional Devotion". That's what I think it means. I think that there's a default on Allbuffs to Sefo along the lines of "he's gone through so much in the lean years at CU he should get the benefit of the doubt to start now that times are good…" I would hope the COACHES aren't that wistful, but the human mind is a strange animal.

This is a bizarre post. Lindsay is not the only RB on the team. Evans or any other RB could have used a few more touches last night, especially after how Utah exposed UCLA's run defense. At one point in the game I checked the box score and Sefo had 21 rushes and PL was around 15. I know that a lot of Sefi runs weren't designed, but that is a lot of carries for a QB that spent part of the 2nd quarter getting treatment.

I think you need to rewatch the game because all the WRs were getting open on deeper routes but Sefo would look for a dumpoff or not have time to setup and hit those deeper routes. Sefo is either having pain in his foot or footsteps in his head because his footwork was bad, especially when passing to his right.

I think Evans could have used a few more carries, but it should not come as a shock that the RB options are pretty slim. Plus I think Evans is a pretty big tip to the defense that we are likely running the ball. I would agree that 23 rushes is too much, but unfortunately there are not a lot of options.

The WRs were getting open some, but I think they struggled for large stretches for the night as well. More than anything, I thought the coaching staff failed to give the OL help with McKinley.

"Mawkish Emotional Tie", "Emotional Devotion". That's what I think it means. I think that there's a default on Allbuffs to Sefo along the lines of "he's gone through so much in the lean years at CU he should get the benefit of the doubt to start now that times are good…" I would hope the COACHES aren't that wistful, but the human mind is a strange animal.

You must selectively read posts. Sefo has been called out as much as anyone on this board.

Back