What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CFP Selection Freakout Thread

this is a bad harbinger of future ****ery.

the committee has again bent the knee to the sec. even with the expanded playoffs, expect more champions of power conferences that aren't the sec or big to get ****ed hereforward.

the football landscape is shifting and the fallout will be ugly.

I'm very worried about the precedent today set.

With a 12-team playoff, I see them justifying that the Big 12 is a 1-bid league going forward. A scenario where, for example, CU goes 12-1 with a championship game loss and 2-loss teams from the B1G and SEC get picked over them even if those schools didn't beat anyone in their non-conference schedules.
I am not following. If you are suggesting theres a B1G and SEC bias, that was known. There's a reason that teams left the Big12 for the SEC.

With a 12-team playoff, I see them justifying that the Big 12 is a 1-bid league going forward. A scenario where, for example, CU goes 12-1 with a championship game loss and 2-loss teams from the B1G and SEC get picked over them even if those schools didn't beat anyone in their non-conference schedules.
Most years the 8-12 spots will be between 2-3 loss teams. I don’t think a 12-1 Big 12 program will be in danger of missing it

I honestly couldn't give a **** about the computers. If you go 13-0 and win a power conference title like Florida State did, you should be in the playoff.

End of discussion.
Records aren't built equally - best 4 teams, not best records.

This entire argument hinges on "but Alabama" while ignoring the data.

This just shows that having playoff rankings prior to the field selection is absolutely pointless since they blatantly ignored their rankings from the week prior, which already accounted for the Travis injury. Beyond a joke that they’re presenting the playoff as anything resembling some form of objectivity, that is unless that objectivity benefits the SEC.

Then why do the analytics/power rankings show otherwise?
16/37 here rank FSU ahead of Bama.

I think there's plenty of reason to say Bama is probably a touch better than FSU.

That just seems like not nearly enough to justify excluding a P5 undefeated team.

Washington should not have been #2 if we're using rankings (computer, eye test, human polls preceeding CCG)

Give me Michigan, Bama, Texas, Washington, and FSU in the CCGs.

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. FSU
4. Texas

SEC left out.

I'm sure the committee would justify putting Bama in somehow, but that would require putting them ahead of an undefeated P5 conference champ or ahead of a team they lost to.

FSU would get forked due to the injury.

Don't tell me I didn't hit the nail on the head when I named this thread.

I gave this exact scenario on Tuesday.

So I'm not surprised, but I am freaking out a little bit.

Translation: use math to prove your point unless the math disproves your point and then throw that math out.
Math isnt disproving my statements, with how much variability there is in college football with schedules and conference strength I'm using data that does a better job of trying to control for those factors

This just shows that having playoff rankings prior to the field selection is absolutely pointless since they blatantly ignored their rankings from the week prior, which already accounted for the Travis injury. Beyond a joke that they’re presenting the playoff as anything resembling some form of objectivity, that is unless that objectivity benefits the SEC.
Exactly this. If Florida State is penalized for Travis being out then why were they 3 going into yesterday and handled their business?

Delicious!
The Simpsons Gesture GIF

Why was Washington so confident?
If they were not moving to the Big10, they could have been left out. Utah and USC are no longer even in the rankings and the Mich State game was expected to be a good scheduling move turned out to be a joke

Hopefully the 12 team playoff will reduce the influence of the current SEC-CFP-ESPN triad. That is until they put in a 4 loss Tenn. over a 1 loss B1G or Big XII.

I don’t think I’m alone when I say CFB gets less and less compelling each year. I don’t know if it’s the changes to the sport, growing older and understanding the inequities and lack of competitive balance, or both.

Used to watch all CFB. Then just big bowls and conference games. Then just conference games/conference bowls. Then just CU. Then half our games last year. Prime brought me back, but that won’t be long-term. Once I move out of Colorado in the next few months, it’ll definitely be far less important to me

I just don’t find it very entertaining to watch a sport where there is so much competitive imbalance, media control, and subjective bias. The whole thing is just dumb and kills the idea of what sports are supposed to be (in my mind anyway)
Just wait until you turn 35 another 15-20 times. It gets worse.

Most years the 8-12 spots will be between 2-3 loss teams. I don’t think a 12-1 Big 12 program will be in danger of missing it
Before today, would you have thought that a 13-0 ACC champ that is a traditional power & was a preseason favorite, which beat both LSU and UF away from home, would have ever failed to get selected because two 1-loss teams were put in?

I don't agree-I think some of this precedent goes back to the Big 12 being dominated by the two schools who are leaving.

Before today, would you have thought that a 13-0 ACC champ that is a traditional power & was a preseason favorite, which beat both LSU and UF away from home, would have ever failed to get selected because two 1-loss teams were put in?
Look, I’ve said repeatedly the eventual goal is to close off the playoff to non-P2 teams, so I agree it’s a possibility. I just think it’s going to be a while before a 9-3 team is considered for the 10-12 spot over a 12-1 team regardless of conference.

Back