What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CFP Selection Freakout Thread

Which come after "otherwise comparable teams"

How are you deciding that UT/UW/Mich are "otherwise comparable" to each other, but not to Bama and FSU?
I’m lost on the argument. Make your case for FSU using the protocol.

I don’t care about the top 3.

Major injuries matter - I want to see the 4 best teams, not another TCU/UGA
Because clearly that TCU team was not capable of beating any top 2 team.

Over It Eye Roll GIF by Friends

Again. Conference rankings are not used. The Committee has been crystal clear on this point. They use individual SoS, not conference strength.
And the SEC teams' SoS is based on them playing each other in the SEC, because their out-of-conference schedule was pretty pedestrian. It's kind of a backdoor conference ranking, perhaps with the SEC getting some favoritism via means that satisfy the protocol.

I’m lost on the argument. Make your case for FSU using the protocol.

I don’t care about the top 3.
The protocol starts with "otherwise comparable teams" then gets into the tiebreaking bullet points you keep calling out.

To me, the undefeated record separates UW/Mich/FSU into one "otherwise comparable" group and leaves Bama, Texas, Ohio State, and Georgia in an "otherwise comparable" group.

The fourth spot then deals with conference championships, head to head record, strength of schedule, common opponents, and injuries/other factors.

The undefeated resumes of Michigan, UW, and FSU separate them from being "otherwise comparable" with anyone else. This year the CFP rankings consistently put undefeated P5 teams straight into the top grouping.

And the SEC teams' SoS is based on them playing each other in the SEC, because their out-of-conference schedule was pretty pedestrian. It's kind of a backdoor conference ranking, perhaps with the SEC getting some favoritism via means that satisfy the protocol.
Bama’s SoS advantage over FSU is clear. Conference strength is not in the protocol. Individual team SOS is. Bama wins on that point.

The protocol starts with "otherwise comparable teams" then gets into the tiebreaking bullet points you keep calling out.

To me, the undefeated record separates UW/Mich/FSU into one "otherwise comparable" group and leaves Bama, Texas, Ohio State, and Georgia in an "otherwise comparable" group.

The fourth spot then deals with conference championships, head to head record, strength of schedule, common opponents, and injuries/other factors.

The undefeated resumes of Michigan, UW, and FSU separate them from being "otherwise comparable" with anyone else. This year the CFP rankings consistently put undefeated P5 teams straight into the top grouping.
Wins is not a part of the protocol. If it was, Liberty is in.

They did not have a watch party was my point
They had a lot of close wins and the good wins over Utah and USC are no longer top 25 now
Washington v Florida State besides QB could be an argument
The P12 was the best conference this season by a wide margin. Close games in the deepest/best conference are expected even for top teams. I recognize that I’m biased because my system has its own player/team/conference power ratings. My ratings have P12, then B1G, <med. gap>, then $EC, <med gap>, then Big 12, then ACC.

F$U without JTrav creates a similar drop to Colorado without Shedeur (in terms of expected points). The drop is slightly mitigated by the quality of their defense. In simulating their games, F$U are definitely NOT anywhere near 13-0 without him (or a QB of his caliber).

Back