What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CFP Selection Freakout Thread

It's a crying shame that Florida State got left out because their top two QBs are injured.

With Texas in the CFP, the SEC could kind of say that they had a team in the CFP just like all those national championships SEC teams allegedly won.

No weighting. Which of the five criteria favored FSU over Bama?

Can you just make the argument for FSU over Bama using the Committee criteria?

These other twists and turns are fun debates, but I suggest we all get back to how the Committee made their decision.

Thanks.

Which criteria specifically?

JFC.

1701700739855.png

Am I taking crazy pills? Pretty sure that "player availability" or whatever the **** doesn't appear there, but I'm also pretty sure that FSU beat LSU by 3 scores on a neutral field (and was up by 4 scores with 1.5 minutes to go), but Bama beat LSU by 2 scores at home.

I'm not sure why some folks here are bending themselves in knots trying to justify the decision a committee that has been WILDLY inconsistent since the start of the CFP- are y'all just that stupid that you don't see the precedent that was set here? It's "We'll take an SEC team because we feel like it, and you suckers will help us justify it."

It's really unclear what FSU could have done to get in- they had a 9 game conference schedule, played 2 P5 teams OOC (one neutral, one road) for a total of 12 games against P5 competition, and didn't lose. Alabama played 10 games total against P5 competition, didn't play a single P5 opponent OOC outside of Alabama, and lost a game.

If you ever want CU to have a chance at another NC, you feel a little worse after the committee's decision yesterday.

I was following this news yesterday from a distance while skiing and driving.

It wasn't until after 6pm I was really able to dig into the news. And even then I was focused on an NFL game.

IMO, this is egregious.

Other than running up the score, WTF was FSU supposed to do?!?!? They won all their games. Conference champs. Scheduled and beat Florida and LSU.

Yeah, this will accelerate the demise if the ACC. And yes, when that happens, it's likely my alma mater will be on the outside looking in at the P2.

Fell asleep outraged. Woke up depressed.

Someone remind me, what's MHVer's track record being correct with his "inside knowledge"? I seem to remember him being right on one thing and missing on everything else, but could be mixing him up with someone else.

It did not take other conferences that long to play nine conference games. Some actually played more. Are you just ****ing with me right now that you are not understanding why this benefits the SEC in a massive way?
I understand how that affects their resume. I do not see how it affects their SoS calculation.

Nana has an appreciably better SOS than FSU. The committee addressed this in their comments. They showed the data on the screen.

Last edited:
Seems like the majority of the MSM and the most relevant sports media are all reporting this as "the committee got it right".

Is anyone seeing credible sports or news sources reporting it differently?

Last edited:
JFC.

View attachment 67668

Am I taking crazy pills? Pretty sure that "player availability" or whatever the **** doesn't appear there, but I'm also pretty sure that FSU beat LSU by 3 scores on a neutral field (and was up by 4 scores with 1.5 minutes to go), but Bama beat LSU by 2 scores at home.

I'm not sure why some folks here are bending themselves in knots trying to justify the decision a committee that has been WILDLY inconsistent since the start of the CFP- are y'all just that stupid that you don't see the precedent that was set here? It's "We'll take an SEC team because we feel like it, and you suckers will help us justify it."

It's really unclear what FSU could have done to get in- they had a 9 game conference schedule, played 2 P5 teams OOC (one neutral, one road) for a total of 12 games against P5 competition, and didn't lose. Alabama played 10 games total against P5 competition, didn't play a single P5 opponent OOC outside of Alabama, and lost a game.

If you ever want CU to have a chance at another NC, you feel a little worse after the committee's decision yesterday.
Your post has inaccuracies. Player availability and impact on post season is in the charter under the principles section. Margin of victory against common opponents does not matter. It’s in the charter. SOS data are widely available.

Seems like the majority of the MSM bland the most relevant sports media are all reporting this as "the committee got it right".

Not all on ESPN think they got it right. Athletic has a writer or two that disagree. Most think the five criteria were followed this year to determine best.

ACC teams know they need to be a part of the P2 or the B12. This gives them more evidence I suspect. If they flip NCSU on this matter, they will have the votes on GOR iirc.

Seems like the majority of the MSM and the most relevant sports media are all reporting this as "the committee got it right".

ESPN spending billions on SEC. Of course they are going to try to get the best return on investment.

Law. Facts. Pound the table. You know the saying.
It's still a joke and keeping a team out because of an injury is stupid. Might as well hang it up for the year after your conference championship.

SOS is inherently flawed as well since the amount of games played per team is so low in football.

There is a **** ton of bias that go into these decisions but hey they followed the criteria.

oj simpson make GIF

Your post has inaccuracies. Player availability and impact on post season is in the charter under the principles section. Margin of victory against common opponents does not matter. It’s in the charter. SOS data are widely available.
What I took was from their main page on their website.

The point is that they clearly state those 4 factors as primary criteria, and player availability is only added in later sections so we should interpret that to mean it's not as important.

You asked how to justify FSU over Bama using the criteria, and that's it. Bama beat LSU at home, and FSU did it at a neutral site. Win on road > Win at neutral site > Win at home. Secondly, the wording is that "without incenting margin of victory" not that it doesn't matter. even if you don't incent margin of victory, FSU clearly beat LSU in a more convincing fashion than Bama.

You seem fixated on strength of schedule, and many folks have already explained explicitly how Alabama's SoS is inflated by the entire SEC using the 4th non-con for a body bag game, which means that the conference as a whole goes from one week finishing .500 (if it were an extra conference game, half the teams would lose) and takes it to 0.928 (everyone except Auburn wins!)

However, neither FSU nor Alabama has ANY control of their strength of schedule in conference. What they do control in terms of strength of schedule is non-conference:
  • Bama OOC wins: @USF, Middle Tennessee, Chatanooga
  • FSU OOC wins: LSU (neutral), @UF, Southern Miss
FSU chose to play a much more challenging non-con schedule, and went undefeated. The playoff committee tied themselves up in knots to explain why they, for the fist time ever, left out an undefeated P5 conference champ so that a 1 loss team could get in. I'm not sure why you're carrying water for them.

ESPN spending billions on SEC. Of course they are going to try to get the best return on investment.
ESPN doesn't surprise me one bit.

I was watching Morning Joe on MSNBC today and the usual hosts plus Finebaum and one other sports guy (don't recall name) were unanimous that the committee got it right. I'm not aware of any financial motivation NBC has to take a stand they may not agree with.

Fox is the only big media player that I'm seeing on the other side, and they should be motivated by their B1G investment to back the committee.

Finebaum is a twat
His comments are pathetic and insensitive
He should be stripped of CFB expert and have to declare, “I am a paid shill for the SEC”

It's still a joke and keeping a team out because of an injury is stupid. Might as well hang it up for the year after your conference championship.

SOS is inherently flawed as well since the amount of games played per team is so low in football.

There is a **** ton of bias that go into these decisions but hey they followed the criteria.

oj simpson make GIF
The denominator is over 130 in the SOS calc. It may not be perfect, yet Bama has the clear edge over FSU.

The player availability issue makes sense to me and was agreed on the charter among a group of experts smarter than me and you. I respect that it doesn’t make sense to you. .

What I took was from their main page on their website.

The point is that they clearly state those 4 factors as primary criteria, and player availability is only added in later sections so we should interpret that to mean it's not as important.

You asked how to justify FSU over Bama using the criteria, and that's it. Bama beat LSU at home, and FSU did it at a neutral site. Win on road > Win at neutral site > Win at home. Secondly, the wording is that "without incenting margin of victory" not that it doesn't matter. even if you don't incent margin of victory, FSU clearly beat LSU in a more convincing fashion than Bama.

You seem fixated on strength of schedule, and many folks have already explained explicitly how Alabama's SoS is inflated by the entire SEC using the 4th non-con for a body bag game, which means that the conference as a whole goes from one week finishing .500 (if it were an extra conference game, half the teams would lose) and takes it to 0.928 (everyone except Auburn wins!)

However, neither FSU nor Alabama has ANY control of their strength of schedule in conference. What they do control in terms of strength of schedule is non-conference:
  • Bama OOC wins: @USF, Middle Tennessee, Chatanooga
  • FSU OOC wins: LSU (neutral), @UF, Southern Miss
FSU chose to play a much more challenging non-con schedule, and went undefeated. The playoff committee tied themselves up in knots to explain why they, for the fist time ever, left out an undefeated P5 conference champ so that a 1 loss team could get in. I'm not sure why you're carrying water for them.
Your statements on importance of win over LSU are not consistent with the charter. You are cherry-picking games to determine a proxy for SOS which meets your preferences and biases. The SOS services aren’t perfect. All point to Bama.

If you agree with that infamous S$C whore Paul Finebaum ... you might just want to reconsider your opinion.

Finebaum is a twat
His comments are pathetic and insensitive
He should be stripped of CFB expert and have to declare, “I am a paid shill for the SEC”

"Good Morning America" doesn't open the show each day with the announcement that the sun rose today. Nor should Finebaum have to announce his fealty to the SEC. It's a given.

in the 10 year history of the CFP, we've seen the mNC awarded to a team that didn't even win their division, nevermind the conference. And now we've seen an undefeated ACC champ who beat two SEC schools excluded from even participating.

I don't understand how anyone that cares about college football wants this system.

if fans insist that we need a national championship determined by a playoff (I disagree, but let's play along), then exclude any teams who are not conference champions. Make the playoff exclusive to D1 champs -- that's the best way (only way?) I can fathom to slow and potentially reverse the consolidation of the relevant schools into the P2 and keep some relevance wrt winning your conference.

This is true. Should we use the other games?
yes, the CFP charter speaks of SOS, not "non conference SOS"

I appreciate the point Tante raises in support of the position I take, but it's not terribly relevant in the discussion.

you're point is well made that by any conventional measure, Alabama had better SOS.

So just to make sure I understand incentive alignment correctly…..

Georgia loses to Alabama, but Milroe is healthy so Alabama goes to playoff.

Georgia loses to Alabama, but they bounty Milroe (ala Blackburn/CSU) and injure him so Georgia goes to the playoff.

CFP, ESPN, SEC, referees, and internal audit are heavily incentivized for Georgia to win the NC. No case of wrongdoing is found. Pass Go and collect $200

I really am starting to hate this sport and I’m gonna have to pick an NFL team soon. Dying traditions, one-year mercenaries, never ending arms race of raw donations, no competitive balance, all incentives encouraging cheating/bad officiating/corruption, etc. NFL is starting to look much more worth my time tbh

Yeah the fight song matters. Bands matter. Rivalries matter. Tradition matters. Kids coming to your school, living in the dorms, walking the same halls, going to the restaurants, sharing a common experience with you and growing up in the town where you can see them develop matters. All that **** is what makes CFB different than the NFL.

If we’re NFL-lite with more corruption, worse talent, and I’m on the hook for the bill, then there’s no reason to watch imo

/rant

Last edited:
The denominator is over 130 in the SOS calc. It may not be perfect, yet Bama has the clear edge over FSU.

The player availability issue makes sense to me and was agreed on the charter among a group of experts smarter than me and you. I respect that it doesn’t make sense to you. .
Yeah, I do not like the player availability criteria because it negates all the hard work the team put in. The spirit of competition is negated to a point. Football is a team sport is it not?

This is a bad look for college football regardless of the criteria.

Also, I'm assuming this is the SOS formula they use below or is this an older version (maybe there is a newer one with more factors)?
1000001143.png

Last edited:
Back