What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Coaching Search Thread

I don't know if you are kidding, but I actually believe this should be our strategy to be successful in the Pac 12.

Also, is "out-Stanford Stanford" a common phrase? Because my friends and I have been using that phrase for a few years with respect to CU Football.

Yeah, let's "out-stanford" them by targeting specific, high level recruits all over the country and lure them in with our world leading undergraduate academic experience.... at a public research school with an 80% acceptance rate.

Stanford has 14 recruits currently committed from 11 different states, many of which are way outside the footprint that CU has shown any ability to recruit. They can go in and make an incredibly compelling sales pitch about their school- namely, "come play football on an awesome, conference championship-winning football team at the best undergraduate university in the world"- in a way that CU cannot.

I get that many want the offensive line to be a leading position group at CU- I do too- but following the Stanford blueprint just isn't congruent with what our university is, and the way that they have done it would be fool's gold for CU to pursue.

If you guys could get Babers, I'd take him over Holgerson...the dude can flat-out coach. He's been able to turn Syracuse into a respectable program despite having the restrictions of trying to lure them to upstate NY. He would be able to recruit a lot easier in Boulder, and he's from the West. However I think if they're smart, USC will throw a boatload of cash at him in the offseason...money CU probably wouldn't be willing to give.

A name I haven't seen yet is my team's co-offensive coordinator, Tony Elliot. The worst kept secret in Clemson, SC is that he's eventually going to leave to be a head coach, and I think he'll be a successful one. He's a master recruiter and a great guy with a great story. Furthermore, he wouldn't require a massive buy-in from the beginning so it wouldn't be a huge strain on CU's coffers.

Yeah, let's "out-stanford" them by targeting specific, high level recruits all over the country and lure them in with our world leading undergraduate academic experience.... at a public research school with an 80% acceptance rate.

Stanford has 14 recruits currently committed from 11 different states, many of which are way outside the footprint that CU has shown any ability to recruit. They can go in and make an incredibly compelling sales pitch about their school- namely, "come play football on an awesome, conference championship-winning football team at the best undergraduate university in the world"- in a way that CU cannot.

I get that many want the offensive line to be a leading position group at CU- I do too- but following the Stanford blueprint just isn't congruent with what our university is, and the way that they have done it would be fool's gold for CU to pursue.

Obviously my original post on the subject was satire, but I don't see why we can't build a strong foundation in the trenches because we don't share Stanford's unique recruiting situation. You don't even need to recruit well. Iowa and Wisconsin never get 5 stars for the O-Line and yet they can pound the ball on everyone every single year. All you need is someone who knows what the hell they're doing

Obviously my original post on the subject was satire, but I don't see why we can't build a strong foundation in the trenches because we don't share Stanford's unique recruiting situation. You don't even need to recruit well. Iowa and Wisconsin never get 5 stars for the O-Line and yet they can pound the ball on everyone every single year. All you need is someone who knows what the hell they're doing

I absolutely agree with all of this- the O Line is the most important position group, and the way that we have recruited/developed/played on the offensive line is the key ingredient in the downfall of Mac.

I was responding more generally to the several times that folks on here have suggested the Stanford is a team we could emulate, followed by me or someone else sayings they've got a unique situation due to academics, and then someone else pulls out the research university rankings and says, "see, CU isn't that far behind"- without consideration of just what a golden ticket a Stanford offer is (given their 7% acceptance rate and ability to set you down a very strong path for the rest of your life). Stanford came in and plucked an OL prospect out of Colorado this cycle, and they do that to various in-state schools around the nation every year.

I am really hopeful that RG hires someone who prioritizes recruiting and is able to get it done. He seemed to mention something to that effect during the conference today. When your team is dominating the other team up front, it's pretty dang compelling to watch. Here's to hoping...

I was referring to Stanford’s style of football. Not any of the stuff discussed in the quoted post.

I'm a little bit surprised that Tedford is not getting more support. I'm looking at a west-coast guy w/PAC-12 experience who had three 10-win and two 9-win seasons in 13 years of coaching and only two losing seasons. Seemed to win his bowl games, etc. Can any of the other names mentioned match that record?

I'm just wondering if there is any legitimate knock on him other than the fact that he's 57 and does not really look the part.

Lake or Chip Long are candidates 1a and 1b for me, with a slight lean to the high risk/high reward of Long. Would be pretty cheap, a great recruiter, and would bring a whole lot of offense to Boulder. Holgerson would probably trump both those of it was actually possible.

I don't know if you are kidding, but I actually believe this should be our strategy to be successful in the Pac 12.

Also, is "out-Stanford Stanford" a common phrase? Because my friends and I have been using that phrase for a few years with respect to CU Football.
Whoa...

I'm a little bit surprised that Tedford is not getting more support. I'm looking at a west-coast guy w/PAC-12 experience who had three 10-win and two 9-win seasons in 13 years of coaching and only two losing seasons. Seemed to win his bowl games, etc. Can any of the other names mentioned match that record?

I'm just wondering if there is any legitimate knock on him other than the fact that he's 57 and does not really look the part.
His last 5 or 6 years at Cal were the definition of mediocre and he caused a national embarrassment to the university with its APR issues. It may very well be that Fresno State is the right place for him because he can get a ham sandwich through admissions and keep it eligible. Trying to run things like that at Cal caught up to him. It wouldn't fly at CU. Can he win or recruit if he can't play that game? He's been doing this a long time with a lot of success to be asking him to change his ways.

i'd probably put him 4th on my list (that is worth absolutely nothing whatsoever). i'd go holgorsen/babers/lake/tedford.

the reasons...

i get that dh pisses people off and there are some rumors of bad off the field behavior awhile back, but i see that offense in boulder, with viska and montez and company. i see a dynamic guy who can recruit and who has a **** ton of instant cred.

babers-- i love the man's fire. and syracuse has sucked for even longer than we have. i think he'd also be a great recruiter for us.

lake-- recruit, recruit, recruit. and he's in footprint. and it would hurt uw. and, he knows defense against passing offenses.

tedford--- probably the safest pick on my board-- i think he'd do well. i am just not sure if his ceiling is as high as the other 3.

Jeff Monken (Army)?

Brent Venables (DC, Clemson)?
Venables seems to be a guy that wouldn’t mind being a career DC. He’s had multiple opps to be a HC at a big program and either hasn’t taken the chance or didn’t interview well. Rumors around coaching circles are that he doesn’t interview well, someone else on here mentioned that.

If we get an offensive guy at HC, I want Army's DC.
That would be a great hire. I'm sure he'd want to keep Brown on staff and I think that would be fine.

You should post something about Jay Bateman in the assistant coach thread.

If you guys could get Babers, I'd take him over Holgerson...the dude can flat-out coach. He's been able to turn Syracuse into a respectable program despite having the restrictions of trying to lure them to upstate NY. He would be able to recruit a lot easier in Boulder, and he's from the West. However I think if they're smart, USC will throw a boatload of cash at him in the offseason...money CU probably wouldn't be willing to give.

A name I haven't seen yet is my team's co-offensive coordinator, Tony Elliot. The worst kept secret in Clemson, SC is that he's eventually going to leave to be a head coach, and I think he'll be a successful one. He's a master recruiter and a great guy with a great story. Furthermore, he wouldn't require a massive buy-in from the beginning so it wouldn't be a huge strain on CU's coffers.
Tony Elliot looks like another high risk high reward coach. Maybe higher risk than Lake, Long, or Anderson (Stanford DC) because he has never been out west.

His last 5 or 6 years at Cal were the definition of mediocre and he caused a national embarrassment to the university with its APR issues. It may very well be that Fresno State is the right place for him because he can get a ham sandwich through admissions and keep it eligible. Trying to run things like that at Cal caught up to him. It wouldn't fly at CU. Can he win or recruit if he can't play that game? He's been doing this a long time with a lot of success to be asking him to change his ways.
Tedford was also notorious for being a sleep in the office workaholic at Cal. He has since had major heart surgery and I have to believe he may have had to change his lifestyle. So he may not physically be able to keep up the same pace that carried him to success in those early years at Cal.

He’s in a lower pressure environment now at his alma mater - I think he’s in a spot now that’s just about perfect for him.

That would be a great hire. I'm sure he'd want to keep Brown on staff and I think that would be fine.

You should post something about Jay Bateman in the assistant coach thread.
michael-bluth-film-characters-photo-u1

Howell's list.
Mainly familiar (Blake Anderson, Harsin, Tedford, Neal Brown, Ryan Day, Roper, Leavitt, Wells, Norvell). Plus one i haven't heard: Chuck Pagano.
Don't shoot the messenger.

If we get a young offensive head coach, I hope we try to get DeRuyter away from Cal. He has always done well as a DC and could help guide a new by HC with some of his own lessons.

Howell's list.
Mainly familiar (Blake Anderson, Harsin, Tedford, Neal Brown, Ryan Day, Roper, Leavitt, Wells, Norvell). Plus one i haven't heard: Chuck Pagano.
Pagano did a very good job with the Colts. It fell off due to ownership and GM mismanagement after going 11-5 each of his first 3 years (Luck's first 3 in the NFL). Then, he got fired for going 4-12 in 2017 when Luck missed the entire season. Still only 58 years old.

But I don't think he's the target. Why have a 2-week timeline if that's the hire? He could move into a Dal Ward office this week.

Howell's list.
This worries me if Howell is at all in the loop and getting used to float names. I’m hoping he’s just spitballing.

Back