What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Coaching Search Thread

The two biggest reasons Washington isn't in contention for the CFP is because they only scored 16 points against Auburn and 10 points against Cal.

Which indicates you cannot make the playoff with poor offense, nothing else.

Look through the Top 25. There are a lot of top defensive teams in there.

The two biggest reasons Washington isn't in contention for the CFP is because they only scored 16 points against Auburn and 10 points against Cal.
Umm.. okay. And the biggest reason these two teams are in the championship game is because they play the best defense.

The clear outliers are Ohio State and OU.
Sure, but while the other schools seem to have the best of both worlds, OU and OSU are right there with only 1 loss with horrible defenses. I think we can agree that to truly be a contender you need the a great offense and a great defense, but I don't think there's anything that suggests defense is more important

Sure, but while the other schools seem to have the best of both worlds, OU and OSU are right there with only 1 loss with horrible defenses. I think we can agree that to truly be a contender you need the a great offense and a great defense, but I don't think there's anything that suggests defense is more important

Maybe not significantly more important, but you and Nik seem to be pushing this narrative that offense rules everything now. Nothing really seems to be showing that to be the case.

Removing the two outliers from the CFP top 10

Offense (removed ND and LSU) - Average ranking of 11
Defense (removed OU and tOSU) - Average ranking of 13.25

How do any of the number suggest that defense is the better indicator?

Take the NFL. I don’t think you will ever see a team win again like say the Ravens did. Suffocating defense while Dilfer hands the ball off. The game has changed and the rule changes benefit the offense.

You need a good defense though to be successful to support your offense.

Average scoring defense ranking of the CFP top 10 - 26.3
Average scoring offense ranking of the CFP top 10 - 16.5

For this to be meaningful, in terms of change, we'd need it to be compared to history.

That if you want to play for the CFP, you need to score points, something Washington couldn't do consistently this year, even though they are playing for a meaningless conference championship (meaningless on a national level).

You need to score points and STOP the other team.

You are relying on outliers to prove a rule.

But based on what? Offense is definitely important, but nothing suggests it is all you need in college football.
And I've never said as much. I'm fully aware that defense is a very important component of success. I just believe if you have an elite offense and a solid defense you will be in contention, but probably not the other way around. I think Wisconsin and Michigan in recent years are prime examples of this.

Almost every Oklahoma game has been a track meet. But, the lack of D may keep them in the wrong side of the bubble. And their fans will scream bloody murder.

And I've never said as much. I'm fully aware that defense is a very important component of success. I just believe if you have an elite offense and a solid defense you will be in contention, but probably not the other way around. I think Wisconsin and Michigan in recent years are prime examples of this.

For the top four, a big maybe.

I realize you view anything short of the playoff a failure, but that is not the case. You can have a wildly successful season without making the playoff.

It isn’t just college it is the game in general. You still need a good defense to win a championship but you cannot win on defense alone anymore. You need to be able to move the ball.
I hear that, but I'm looking for the evidence that shows the game has changed in that way. I'm skeptical.

But based on what? Offense is definitely important, but nothing suggests it is all you need in college football.

I just think he is saying O is more important. D is still important but not as much. I think if you started in the 80’s you would say D was more important but over time that has flipped. Back then the O supported the D and just tried to not **** up. Now the D tries to support the O. All rule changes favor the O so this isn’t unexpected.

I hear that, but I'm looking for the evidence that shows the game has changed in that way. I'm skeptical.

Just the rule changes in general. Everything favors the O. That is all levels.

Watch a game from 5 years ago or 10. He’ll a replay of a Barnett game. The game is different.

Back