What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Colorado vs. Wazzu Game Thread 11/17/23

But they beat the Buffs with their new team
The only thing about all the individual analysis and PFF grades is that this is a Team sport and the cohesive plan and culture of a program must be the driving force to being winners. We are not winners, because it was a lot of hype for only a few players.
I am not following. None of those players were the reason we got beat by their team

Counting wins is tough.

On one hand, there's a lot of truth in the adage "They don't ask how you won, they ask how many you won."

On the other hand, you really have to address how you won and lost to think about progress.

Last year there was exactly one game that we were really in, and the combination of the dead cat bounce following Dorrell's firing and an abysmal opponent in Cal resulted in the sole win. Perhaps you could slot the ASU game as borderline competitive, but that final score made it seem much closer than it really was.

This season we were competitive against TCU, CSU, ASU, Arizona, Stanford, and Oregon State, and went 3-3 in those closely contested games; we controlled one game against Nebraska, had one that looked closer than it really was against USC and a closer score against UCLA in a game that just felt like UCLA slowly taking control but not running away with it due to a lot of fumbles. Then there's the two bad games where we got boat raced by Oregon and Washington State.

If a few more things bounce just right maybe we're 6-5, if a few more bounce wrong in big moments maybe we're 2-9. Either way, there's a huge improvement over last year.

Last year = took an asswhoopin 10 times, 1 borderline competitive, 1 competitive game
This year = 2 asswhoopins, 2 borderline competitive, 6 competitive, 1 controlled win

I think an adequate in game coaching performance against Stanford shifts us to 1 morecontrolled win and would have at least made the Utah game a fun endeavor to see if we could get a bowl game. People are right to be pissed about the Stanford game.

I guess the good thing for the Deion Haters is that if he proves them wrong they still get a winning Buffs team, if they're right they get their smug sense of being correct.
I don't ever want to read another post about being competitive against CSU.

I expect to ****ing blow them out every time we play them.

If Deion is as loyal to people like Andre Hart and Flea Harrell as MacIntyre was to Klayton Adams, he will fail here.

If Deion is as loyal to people like Andre Hart and Flea Harrell as MacIntyre was to Klayton Adams, he will fail here.
Flea been fine. The backs haven't looked bad in terms of film review.

Sure, but to expect that we'd go from the literal worst P5 team of the 21st century to consistently blowing the doors off of every G5 opponent is just lacking perspective and rationality.

Assuming that there will or won't be improvement in the coaching staff is just wildly speculative and not worth the effort IMHO.

Sure, but to expect that we'd go from the literal worst P5 team of the 21st century to consistently blowing the doors off of every G5 opponent is just lacking perspective and rationality.

Assuming that there will or won't be improvement in the coaching staff is just wildly speculative and not worth the effort IMHO.
I didn't say every group of 5 opponent. Air Force would beat this team by 4 touchdowns right now.

I said that group of 5 opponent.

And there has to be staff change at a minimum.

They will be a much better team because they will improve in the offseason but they got 14 spots they gotta fill

Replace Weaver
5 OL
1 big size TE who got a little pass catching skills to split time with Harrison who needs to add 10-15 pounds in the offseason.
NT
An talented EDGE with height and bend
Two interior LBs
Replace Ward
A backup QB with experience who wants to be a backup but they got some game
A premium kicker like Vassett is for punting

We got so many spots available honestly.

CB looks good for the future.
WR has some promise
RB is our best position, we just need to improve the horrendous run blocking.

Interior LB, TE, and the OL overall need a massive talent boost much less overall boost.

The DL has talent, they just lack size and versatility which is where we get in trouble.

I am optimistic but we need a good bit of starters.

Many of our guys who start should be depth guys or rotational package guys.

They will be a much better team because they will improve in the offseason but they got 14 spots they gotta fill

Replace Weaver
5 OL
1 big size TE who got a little pass catching skills to split time with Harrison who needs to add 10-15 pounds in the offseason.
NT
An talented EDGE with height and bend
Two interior LBs
Replace Ward
A backup QB with experience who wants to be a backup but they got some game
A premium kicker like Vassett is for punting

We got so many spots available honestly.

CB looks good for the future.
WR has some promise
RB is our best position, we just need to improve the horrendous run blocking.

Interior LB, TE, and the OL overall need a massive talent boost much less overall boost.

The DL has talent, they just lack size and versatility which is where we get in trouble.

I am optimistic but we need a good bit of starters.

Many of our guys who start should be depth guys or rotational package guys.
I keep saying this but I don't believe we need studs as much as we just need good football players in these spots.

Weaver is a good football player. We need 14 more of those guys. I would even be cool with 14 Amari McNeill aka guys who aren't good but they are talented and are coachable and turn into solid players at some point in the season.

But they beat the Buffs with their new team
The only thing about all the individual analysis and PFF grades is that this is a Team sport and the cohesive plan and culture of a program must be the driving force to being winners. We are not winners, because it was a lot of hype for only a few players.

While the portal and NIL do have troubling aspects to me and doesn't feel like the CFB I grew up with in a lot of ways, it's here and players deserve some of the cream they create......however, right now, neither us or Linc Riley's Trojans is a great advertisement for Cadillac hi end team building roster transfusions based in the portal etc.

now, we needed it but 4 wins is still 4 wins. Moving forward I expect more.

S2S

While the portal and NIL do have troubling aspects to me and doesn't feel like the CFB I grew up with in a lot of ways, it's here and players deserve some of the cream they create......however, right now, neither us or Linc Riley's Trojans is a great advertisement for Cadillac hi end team building roster transfusions based in the portal etc.

now, we needed it but 4 wins is still 4 wins. Moving forward I expect more.

S2S
Technically, both teams are better than what they were before they hired either coached. We are just disappointed with how both teams wasted their QBs.

All the rationalizing we do cannot change the fact that this team has gotten worse, not better, as the year has gone on.
Yes and no. The first three games were against teams who are currently a collective 13-17 on the year. We then got raced by Oregon and SC (in the first half). We barely pulled out a win against a 3-7 ASU team and played well for a half against the worst team in the Pac 12. We then faced three straight ranked opponents and were competitive and potentially should/could have beaten two of them. Last night was an aberration for a team that allowed a disastrous start snowball into quitting.

I’m in no way saying we have gotten better as the season has progressed, but when looking at the body of work and entire season in context, I think they’ve been fairly consistent but the quality of opponent drastically increased in Pac 12 play. This is the deepest and best version of the Pac 12 perhaps ever (Pac 12 era). That matters.

Yes and no. The first three games were against teams who are currently a collective 13-17 on the year. We then got raced by Oregon and SC (in the first half). We barely pulled out a win against a 3-7 ASU team and played well for a half against the worst team in the Pac 12. We then faced three straight ranked opponents and were competitive and potentially should/could have beaten two of them. Last night was an aberration for a team that allowed a disastrous start snowball into quitting.

I’m in no way saying we have gotten better as the season has progressed, but when looking at the body of work and entire season in context, I think they’ve been fairly consistent but the quality of opponent drastically increased in Pac 12 play. This is the deepest and best version of the Pac 12 perhaps ever (Pac 12 era). That matters.
Good take. Hard for most to rationalize this right now.

Technically, both teams are better than what they were before they hired either coached. We are just disappointed with how both teams wasted their QBs.

grant you that to a degree, but Caleb Williams and Boulder High's should win 8 games in a lot of conferences....Linc has done nothing but play to his tendencies that OU fans were starting to really tired of. soft, no D, rich man's Texas Tech. All hat no cattle.

Clay Helton won the Rose Bowl and his lovely Georgia Southern whatever they are called put the final nail in Scott Frost at Nebraska last season.....

for us, i'm disappointed we aren't winning games. lot of very good QB's have played on bad to mediocre teams. Drew Breeze, John Elway...Shedeur is a warrior but I want CU to win football games.

we are competitive against a good U of A team and I really like their upward trajectory and hope CU gets some of that next year. get blown out at Wazzoo....these are frustrating things for a fan who saw his first CU game in 1976.

Had the 4 wins been spread out more with TCU in week 1, CSU in week 4, ASU in week 7 and Nebraska in week 12, I think the entire perception of this season is different. It’s really had to stomach 5 straight losses and 1-7 the last 8 weeks.

and it's not unlike other seasons we've had.....cough (Mike Mac)....cough...

makes for a long off-season.....

All the rationalizing we do cannot change the fact that this team has gotten worse, not better, as the year has gone on.
I heard this predicted by several people before the season started due to our lack of depth. Also, we obviously benefited early because there wasn't much tape on us and our offenseive/defensive tendencies. We saw teams adjusting better to what we were doing each and every week after TCU. So, while it was very disapointing to go from the highs of the early season to where we are now, it actually seems pretty close to the predictions. wasn't the Vegas win over/under something like 3.5? Well, we got four.

I heard this predicted by several people before the season started due to our lack of depth. Also, we obviously benefited early because there wasn't much tape on us and our offenseive/defensive tendencies. We saw teams adjusting better to what we were doing each and every week after TCU. So, while it was very disapointing to go from the highs of the early season to where we are now, it actually seems pretty close to the predictions. wasn't the Vegas win over/under something like 3.5? Well, we got four.
Winning record against the spread too

Highlights were brutal to watch and game in SLC will be no different.

Let's not lose sight that Coach Prime managed to get four wins out of a team that was reconstructed during the last offseason in an unprecedented way.

grant you that to a degree, but Caleb Williams and Boulder High's should win 8 games in a lot of conferences....Linc has done nothing but play to his tendencies that OU fans were starting to really tired of. soft, no D, rich man's Texas Tech. All hat no cattle.

Clay Helton won the Rose Bowl and his lovely Georgia Southern whatever they are called put the final nail in Scott Frost at Nebraska last season.....

for us, i'm disappointed we aren't winning games. lot of very good QB's have played on bad to mediocre teams. Drew Breeze, John Elway...Shedeur is a warrior but I want CU to win football games.

we are competitive against a good U of A team and I really like their upward trajectory and hope CU gets some of that next year. get blown out at Wazzoo....these are frustrating things for a fan who saw his first CU game in 1976.
The PAC-12 is a lot stronger than it was just 3-4 years ago. Everyone is putting their team together to look good to the B1G, ACC, B12 because of the uncertainty within the PAC-12.

The only difference between this year and last year is the OOC wins. This teams has a long way to go, and a coach who needs to show a lot of growth this off-season.

Last night was pathetic. That team could have named their score.

Plus Shedeur and Travis. Although I think Shedeur isn't nearly as good as some people think he is.

Wazzu scored 21 points with the defense and special teams. Their offense only scored 7 points against Stanford.
Its sometimes a fools errand to compare opponents and how someone played someone else. See ASU v Fresno State, v CU, v UCLA, and then ASU v UW. Middling teams are all over the map.

This conference is also pretty deep this season.

The only three teams where Id say wins are nearly automatic and expected are tOSU, UM, UGa. Best coaching staffs and deep reservoirs of talent.

The only difference between this year and last year is the OOC wins. This teams has a long way to go, and a coach who needs to show a lot of growth this off-season.

Last night was pathetic. That team could have named their score.
There is a 24 point gap between this year's squad and last year's squad. That's nearly as large as the gap between #1 graded Michigan and #88 graded Virginia Tech. Why make a post like this?

CU 2023 is the most improved team in the nation by a mile.

i agree with you on the brutal schedule…big 12 will def provide some relief …my concern is we are regressed as season went along…stanford 2nd half was the death nell
The Stanford game is on the coaches. That said, the rest can be attributed to a number of items we saw as issues as early as the TCU game. Even Nebraska was moving the ball up the field on us with relative ease.

Back