What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Colorado vs. Wazzu Game Thread 11/17/23

I don’t know what we are disagreeing about. I outlined three concerns. I don’t recall I insulted you.

I’ll let you and Jens work out your thing.
Any differences we got, it's better we just work them out. I have no issues with you or your opinion. We just don't agree. That's all

Any differences we got, it's better we just work them out. I have no issues with you or your opinion. We just don't agree. That's all
Maybe I’ll express my three issues this way. I’ve never seen a successful organization that disregarded culture. Similarly, organizations that allow rampant individualism at the expense of team. I hope Prime fixes these issues and other things often talked about here.

Maybe I’ll express my three issues this way. I’ve never seen a successful organization that disregarded culture. Similarly, organizations that allow rampant individualism at the expense of team. I hope Prime fixes these issues and other things often talked about here.
This is a good post. I think the biggest issue was it was way too vauge.

As I stated, I believe culture is important and everyone has a culture, its either good, or it's bad.

It's clear what type of culture Prime wants to instill but saying you want to play hard nosed and be tough isn't culturally correct and it can be misconstrued. His coaching idols are Mickey Andrews and Bobby Bowden.

His style is and will be old school. Old school works when you are winning but when you are losing or bad, it's better to change the culture to something fun like what CU had last year with Sanford. It's not easy. This was my worry about CU. If Prime is winning, this works perfectly but if you are losing, it works poorly.

My issue with some of the posts here is nuance. That's pretty much it. If you clearly explain, I could comprehend. This is good. That said, we gotta stop taking everything Prime says literal. Meaning, the biggest reason coach speak exist is because of being misinterpreted. Prime is that a lot. When he said he didn't care about culture. That's BS, culture is the biggest thing he wanted to change here and at JSU. Saying he can't win because of establishing culture, he's going to disagree.

I really think Prime would be wise to stop answering a lot of media questions. He says things directly answering one question but as you see, it can be used against him as well. This is why coach speak is so popular among most coaches. They almost never directly answer questions talking to the media.

Prime needs to work on leadership babble.

When he said we are going to find more OL. That wasn't a good statement.

He should have said, our OL is working their butts off. Giving it all they have. We are going to watch the tape to evaluate and go from there.

When asked during the week. Just say we seen a lot of good last week and that's what we are going to build on.

Shedeur gets it, don't give them nothing. Prime likes to give the media what they want but that only works when you are kicking ass.

Your presser should be a bunch of nothing. Just status updates and rah rah rubbish.

This is a good post. I think the biggest issue was it was way too vauge.

As I stated, I believe culture is important and everyone has a culture, its either good, or it's bad.

It's clear what type of culture Prime wants to instill but saying you want to play hard nosed and be tough isn't culturally correct and it can be misconstrued. His coaching idols are Mickey Andrews and Bobby Bowden.

His style is and will be old school. Old school works when you are winning but when you are losing or bad, it's better to change the culture to something fun like what CU had last year with Sanford. It's not easy. This was my worry about CU. If Prime is winning, this works perfectly but if you are losing, it works poorly.

My issue with some of the posts here is nuance. That's pretty much it. If you clearly explain, I could comprehend. This is good. That said, we gotta stop taking everything Prime says literal. Meaning, the biggest reason coach speak exist is because of being misinterpreted. Prime is that a lot. When he said he didn't care about culture. That's BS, culture is the biggest thing he wanted to change here and at JSU. Saying he can't win because of establishing culture, he's going to disagree.

I really think Prime would be wise to stop answering a lot of media questions. He says things directly answering one question but as you see, it can be used against him as well. This is why coach speak is so popular among most coaches. They almost never directly answer questions talking to the media.
You think RG extends him this year or gives him a new contract?

You think RG extends him this year or gives him a new contract?
He better or he will lose him but my guess is he's waiting for the portal recruiting season. Nothing we seen in recruiting says we need go be running to give him an extension. CU is what, in the 60s or 70s right now. This was a great start but what have you done for me lately. That said, a tremendous portal plus the return of 2 and 21, it would be a bad idea not to extend. At least next year is going to be good. What you don't want to do is extend, 2 and 21 leaves and it's just Travis Hunter and Dante Moore or some portal guy and an average portal class.

But no extension could be dangerous. His buyout is only 10 mil next year.

He better or he will lose him but my guess is he's waiting for the portal recruiting season. Nothing we seen in recruiting says we need go be running to give him an extension. CU is what, in the 60s or 70s right now. This was a great start but what have you done for me lately. That said, a tremendous portal plus the return of 2 and 21, it would be a bad idea not to extend. At least next year is going to be good. What you don't want to do is extend, 2 and 21 leaves and it's just Travis Hunter and Dante Moore or some portal guy and an average portal class.

But no extension could be dangerous. His buyout is only 10 mil next year.
I would have no complaints if he was extended this calendar year. Probably the smart buisiness decision would be to let recruiting play out and the first half of next season. Then again, smart buisiness is making money and being visible and CP has already brought that.

See above, top 5 pick, Heisman frontrunner, generational talent. I don't think he's that. He'll probably get a run in the NFL, but it's by no means a given he succeeds there.

27 TD passes and 3 INTs in P5 football after jumping up from HBCU FCS football. Those HBCU FCS football schools have athletic budgets closer to the D2 level than the FBS football. That is a bigger jump in competition than WSU's Cameron Ward endured going from FCS Incarnate Word to P5 Washington State.

If the CU OL is better and Shedeur enjoys a similar bump in performance (along with improving on his shortcomings) in his second year at CU just like at Jackson State, he will be a first round QB in 2025 no questions asked.

He's gonna be here for awhile. His national recruiting map will buy him a lot of time here.
I hope so. For the record, I don't think he will be unsuccessful here. He has been a winner all his life and has proven that he loves challenges, which is why he took the JSU job and this one.

27 TD passes and 3 INTs in P5 football after jumping up from HBCU FCS football. Those HBCU FCS football schools have athletic budgets closer to the D2 level than the FBS football. That is a bigger jump in competition than WSU's Cameron Ward endured going from FCS Incarnate Word to P5 Washington State.
I would not compare Incarnate Word to JSU. They have a scheme and a system in place that works and they generally have a great OL and schematic WRs and RBs who fit that system. JSU scheme constantly was changing and at times, it didn't fit the personnel in year 2. As I said before the season, 2 would have an easier transition.

Ward had the best OL in the FCS and went to one of the worst pass blocking OLs in P5 with Wazzu. Shedeur OL as a freshman was a lot worse than what I've seen this year. It was literally the worst in the FCS and mid tier D2 at best. Last year OL was massively better led by Tyler Brown and Willis Patrick.

I knew he would have success on this level and he would do better than he did to a degree just due to the Football IQ gap between levels of his personnel. JSU had some serious talent but man, a lot of players was severely flawed. I don't see that as much here, the issue here is not that many guys are talented. It's frustrating to be honest.

I would have no complaints if he was extended this calendar year. Probably the smart buisiness decision would be to let recruiting play out and the first half of next season. Then again, smart buisiness is making money and being visible and CP has already brought that.
They should extend him as soon as the season is over, if for no other reason than to go against the national narrative that is ****ting on him at the moment, and stay relevant in the news cycle going into the recruiting push. Double down and show strong institutional backing by announcing that they’ve increased his salary and the staff salary pool. Shows recruits and transfers that he’s here for the long term. Create even more of a Colorado against the world mentality.

I don’t really care to wait because no matter what happens, this school isn’t going to fire him, so they might as well just reaffirm that they’re all-in when he’s at his lowest.

From UCLA on whoever the OC was/is should've turned the offense into a quick hit passing scheme. We did it in brief spurts and it was no coincidence that SS2 was more comfortable and we were more successful. But for some reason we just stopped.
We couldn’t pass block for even a short passing game. How many times did we dump down to a 2 yard gain, and SS2 barely got even got those passes off?

By the end of the season, we looked like the last few years where the defenses were running downhill at every short pass, getting immediate tackles for little to no gain. When there’s no threat of a run for positive yards or any concern that the QB will have the time to read the D for open WRs, makes DC’s job very very easy

They should extend him as soon as the season is over, if for no other reason than to go against the national narrative that is ****ting on him at the moment, and stay relevant in the news cycle going into the recruiting push. Double down and show strong institutional backing by announcing that they’ve increased his salary and the staff salary pool. Shows recruits and transfers that he’s here for the long term. Create even more of a Colorado against the world mentality.

I don’t really care to wait because no matter what happens, this school isn’t going to fire him, so they might as well just reaffirm that they’re all-in when he’s at his lowest.
Makes sense if not for any other reason that 10 million dollar buyout means a G5 could hire him off of CU. Can't let some SEC come and offer him a crazy deal and his buyout is easy.

Coach is smart and is learning on the job, and is going to do what is needed to get this turned.

for many years of my earlier career i simply ran over or went around or ignored co-workers who i felt couldn't get out of their own way, it took a lot of ****ing work and increasingly large and diverse and multi-tasked teams to learn to work to build the culture and teams. and, my default to this day, is **** you, i will do it myself or one of my known killers will. this is organizationally ineffective.

set the bar to your standard but understand how to execute a plan that leverages everyone in the org. it is ****ing hard.

we aren't done and Coach isn't done here. buckle up because we have a lot to do.

Coach is smart and is learning on the job, and is going to do what is needed to get this turned.

for many years of my earlier career i simply ran over or went around or ignored co-workers who i felt couldn't get out of their own way, it took a lot of ****ing work and increasingly large and diverse and multi-tasked teams to learn to work to build the culture and teams. and, my default to this day, is **** you, i will do it myself or one of my known killers will. this is organizationally ineffective.

set the bar to your standard but understand how to execute a plan that leverages everyone in the org. it is ****ing hard.

we aren't done and Coach isn't done here. buckle up because we have a lot to do.
It's hard to do. At JSU, that was his thing too but at this level, servant leadership is much more effective.

I feel as though every heroes journey has a dark spell. Prime knew he was taking over a challenge, in retrospect it was looking too easy. This period may become a defining part of his narrative.

I agree that we should double-down to demonstrate our commitment.
If you look at the current coaches in the CFP top 25, about half of them were .500 or worse in their first year at their current school. They nearly all took bad jobs. Some of the people above that mark are outliers who took over already well-run programs or hit on a transfer QB immediately. The others went to a blue blood and turned things around.

People jumping ship after one challenging season is really bizarre. It’s really tough to turn around a bad program.

If you look at the current coaches in the CFP top 25, about half of them were .500 or worse in their first year at their current school. They nearly all took bad jobs. Some of the people above that mark are outliers who took over already well-run programs or hit on a transfer QB immediately. The others went to a blue blood and turned things around.

People jumping ship after one challenging season is really bizarre. It’s really tough to turn around a bad program.
Prime said last night that this has been the most difficult stretch of his life. Now, I’m not sure if that’s hyperbole since he’s gone through some seriously bad **** at times in his life, but he said it. I think that the university showing him appreciation for what he’s already done for this institution and unwavering support for him and his vision during his lowest would be the kind of decision that we look back on a few years from now and view as the catalyst that earned Primes trust and loyalty to CU and has CU in the national conversation more often than not.

after watching the afternoon pac 12 games, anyone in this conference can win. we were close against some teams that looked so good today. we need to find our identity and upgrade starters at a few positions and depth, while building the team cohesiveness. the coaches will gel and get better—either through experience or upgrades—and i think we can be an 8-10 win team next year. i believe

Last night was brutal.

Even with CP being sick - the flu is no joke, probably amplified by traveling and being in the cold humid air too. There just seems to be a complete disconnect between him and the other coaches. Almost like many know that their days are numbered, and CP is making mental notes for what is needed/wanted for next season.

The OL as a unit is complete garbage. Staff, players, scheme…all garbage compared to what is needed at this level to be competitive. BoB probably needs to coach HS or go into sled sales…

The QB play has fallen off of the cliff. Week 1, Shedeur was poised and doing things that haven’t been seen at CU for the QB position for 20 years or longer. Quick/great decisions, great pre-snap reads. Just all around clutch playing. Since 2H of the Stanford game, that has faded and diminished into what we’ve seen in 2021 and 2022. Which is correlated to trash overall the Oline overall, and horrendous play calling.

The Dline…that is a confusing bunch. Way undersized. They could be stronger, faster, more athletic than last year’s bunch, but being taken out of the equation more often than not tells us that they aren’t up to snuff at this level. Not sure if Coach Sal is to blame? The edges are alright, JD seems to get his nose into the mix often enough, but I feel like Carson Wells did more at his heights of productive playing.

The LB’s aren’t doing much of anything. Sadly but I felt more productivity out of guys like JVD and Gamboa than what this position group is giving. Moving Woods in to a LB role shows that this position was an overall miss with what was brought in…and the befuddlement of whatever Mitchell had/has going on. At the end of the day, he was brought in way late, and is in his last year. He shows that he has some flashes of being a menace out there. Just let him play.

It seems like Shilo has not been as Shilo since getting a BS targeting ejection at UCLA. Also, maybe Prime should be more hands on with that secondary group. Having two of the top CB’s in their respective classes, one is like a bright green avocado out there 6-7/10 plays, and is susceptible to the opposing match getting in his head. The other has played the most snaps in CFB, even with missing 3.5 games, and it’s not even close…and he is still probably playing with residual rust and pain, that is being added to with each play he makes because he is doing what he can to carry this team…much like Shedeur was doing up through UCLA

I haven’t been watching any of the insider videos on YouTube the last couple weeks, but from what is shown on game day, it seems like the total team chemistry is all but gone. Coaches are quiet, players aren’t lifting/building each other up. A complete turnaround from the Buffs against the nation feeling from late summer into the season.

It all boils down to preparation, focus, and having the players to execute what the coaching staff implements. Next year, the Buffs either need to have the stingiest defense ever to thwart off BigXII offensive attacks, or have a faster, more explosive offense than the other teams.

An OC with a system that compliments Shedeur and possibly Hill or Underwood (🤞🏼🤞🏼). If Lewis isn’t the guy…O’Neil will likely move on. I’m on the fence about Kelly. His past is suspect as a DC, but his recruiting is great, and he seems to have an understanding of what CP expects. His adjustments are a F-, especially any routes that go under coverage in the middle…and the adjustments to stop gashing runs, yuck.
All of this is pretty obvious. But what isn’t obvious is the cause of the culture shift within the team

They were 5-7 last year and were decent last year. They vastly improved for sure but they didn't improve anywhere near CU. No one did.
They were 1-11 in 2021, then 5-7 in 2022 and then look at them THIS year.
We were 1-11 in 2022, look to be 4-8 in 2023 and next year could easily be 8-4 (or 8-5/9-4 with a bowl game) if we are fortunate (especially with a BIG-12 schedule).

Back