What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Countdown Thread - 2023 Edition

Bade Dude info

With two outs, in the bottom of the 9th, the Pirates still down by a run with the winning run Parker, on third base.

The next batter was (future Mets coach) Bill Robinson. Robinson hit a fly ball to left field, Dave Parker tagged at third base, the Mets outfielder, Joel Youngblood who had a good arm, caught it & threw home.

Parker took off all six foot five, 230 lbs of him barreling into Mets catcher John Stearns. Stearns caught Youngblood's throw, stood his ground tagged out Parker, and was knocked away from home plate.

Quotes- John Stearns: "I gathered my senses & to my surprise the ball is still nestled in my mitt, like a sleeping baby. I showed it to the umpire & the game was over. I look over at Parker & he was still on the ground, moaning from a fractured jaw."

John Stearns was one of the toughest guys in baseball. A former college football defensive back, Stearns was more football player than baseball player.

Stearns is the same guy who once tackled a fan who got onto the playing field that security & the police could not catch.

Stearns had taken on Gary Carter & the Montreal Expos in a another bench clearing brawl. He also had taken on the Big Red Machine at one time. Stearns even tackled the Atlanta Braves mascot Cheif Noc-a-homa, after the Chief had been taunting him.

John Stearns stood at six feet tall, weighing in at 185 lbs. But it was he, who walked away from the home plate collision without damage.

As for Dave Parker, he had broken his cheekbone & would miss two weeks of action. When he returned, he wore first wore a hockey style goalie mask & then a protective face mask on his helmet around his facial area, much like a football helmet.

Barry Helton. Dude was an amazing QB in High school

1692865557823.png1692865678650.png“I went to CU wanting to be a quarterback and ended up a punter. It turned out great but it wasn’t my plan when I got there. It was always fun in practice to do the fake punts and throw the ball a little bit.”
Facing fourth-and-one from their own 29-yard line, Helton executed a fake and delivered a pass to safety Mickey Pruitt for a 17-yard gain and a first down. Seven plays later, a 5-yard touchdown run from OC Oliver gave the Buffs a 14-3 lead that wasn’t seriously threatened the rest of the way.

While the 1985 team finished with a slightly better record than the ’86 squad (6-6), the victory at Missouri began a 6-2 finish that included CU’s first victory against Nebraska
in 19 years. Unlike 1985, there was a sense the Buffs were turning the corner. CU didn’t finish with a .500 or under record again until 1997.

The fake at Missouri accounted for Helton’s only regular-season completion in four attempts during his CU career, though he also found Jon Embree for a touchdown on a fake in the 1985 Freedom Bowl.
“That was the year we did better in the Big 8,” said Helton. “I just wanted to play. I didn’t want to have a scholarship for five years and never get to play. So I had to learn to punt, and luckily I did. I still threw a lot of balls at practice because I enjoyed it.”

Helton, a two-time All-American at CU, appeared in 50 NFL games over four seasons, mostly with San Francisco. He was inducted into the Colorado Springs Sports Hall of Fame in 2012 and the CU Athletic Hall of Fame in 2019. A hip injury shortened hisNFL career

1692955675600.png1692955699233.pngAfter moving south from Glenrock, Wyo., William "Kayo" Lam starred in football, track, cross country and wrestling in the 1930's. He arrived in Boulder as a 5-foot, 9-inch, 140-pound freshman, but by the time he was a senior he weighed in at 160 after having led the nation in rushing with 906 yards as a junior in 1934. He topped that figure with 1,043 in 1935, leading the country in all-around yardage with 2,225. He was the first CU athlete to play in a postseason all-star game (the East-West Shrine). He was a two-time All-Rocky Mountain Conference selection in football and also won the conference's 155-pound weight title in wrestling as a junior. After serving in World War II, he returned to Boulder where he would work the next 36 years at the University, from assistant dean of men and assistant football coach to assistant athletic director and business manager. He was inducted into the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame in 1978. Lam passed away on April 23, 1993 at the age of 81

Kayo earned seven letters at Colorado University in football, track and wrestling. The university’s tailback was its quarterback in his playing days of the mid-30s and his number eight was a familiar sight with his speed, shiftiness and highly competitive instinct. He was a bona fide triple threat.

Lam’s biggest season was in 1935, the year he played in the same backfield with CU’s all-time great Byron “Whizzer” White. That year, Kayo set a school record that is still in the books. The record was for most yards gained by all methods in a single season, 2,225 in nine games.

Lam stayed at CU in a variety of jobs before working into the business manager of athletics role he was to play the rest of his collegiate season.

Casotti described Lam’s loyalty to CU this way: “Kayo Lam was probably the most loyal alumnus of CU ever sent forth in the world. Totally and completely dedicated to his alma mater. Forever. Through thick, thin or whatever other degree of density might be in vogue. His is a loyalty made up of equal parts of intelligent debate or as-tough-as-you-want physical combat. You name it, he’ll meet you on your chosen ground, with vocabulary or fist, whichever you prefer. But either way, your meeting will end in a knockout. A Kayo if you prefer. Because he will take you right to the end of the line. It’ll be you or him. And you ought to be prepared to lose.”

When Lam retired from CU in 1970, he spent much of his time traveling with his wife, Thelma, and playing golf in his beloved Boulder.

Casotti summed up Lam’s retirement: “Time may slow him down but it will never stop him. Only the man with the long, white beard and the scythe will ever do that. And even he won’t get it done until after he’s had a great struggle.”

Think it was called the Kickoff classic back in the day. Prich had to play running back as Scooter was serving a 1 game suspension over the troubles with the fire department. I remember that Prich went off for over 200 yards.
And we were destroying them until we took our foot off the gas. How that game finished as a tie is beyond me.

Think it was called the Kickoff classic back in the day. Prich had to play running back as Scooter was serving a 1 game suspension over the troubles with the fire department. I remember that Prich went off for over 200 yards.
Pigskin Classic.

The Kickoff Classic was in Giants Stadium and I went to the Nebraska v. West Virginia game in 1994 wearing a CU jersey. My whole goal was to taunt the Nebraska fans because I was SURE that we were going to beat them in October.

no comprende... I usually understand your comments, but I am amiss as to this one
In 2018, we were 5-2 going into the Oregon St game where we were heavily favored. A poster named B_Walk started a thread that morning titled "Taking a moment to appreciate being bowl eligible" or something like that.

We let them score 24 points in the 4th quarter and lost in OT. We then lost all the remaining games in the season and didn't make a bowl.

I don't think that poster was ever heard from again.

In 2018, we were 5-2 going into the Oregon St game where we were heavily favored. A poster named B_Walk started a thread that morning titled "Taking a moment to appreciate being bowl eligible" or something like that.

We let them score 24 points in the 4th quarter and lost in OT. We then lost all the remaining games in the season and didn't make a bowl.

I don't think that poster was ever heard from again.
I remember that game well... don't remember the poster...

I can tell you that I sat in Lincoln in October 29, 1994 and walked out with my tail between my legs. I was even MORE sure after Frazier was diagnosed with blood clots that we would leave Lincoln victorious. I don't believe that I spoke to a single Nebra$$hole until the game clock was 12:51 in Boulder on November 23, 2001 when we were up 35-3. I also made sure every Nebra$$hole knew what I suffered when I visited them on November 29, 2002. That was the first time we won in Lincoln since 1990.

Back