What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

Or worse yet, that he strives for a more balanced life while trying to be a head football coach. I’m a big believer in having work/life balance…except when it comes to being the head coach of a team I root for. All joking aside, if you hire Bronco, you want the guy who was successful at BYU and UVA, not the new Bronco who has a different perspective on what’s important and different priorities. That may sound harsh because these coaches are people, but this is a tough business.

Meh. It takes all kinds. Bob Stoops was famous for not spending all of his time working.

Riley and Kelly left primarily because they saw the ceiling at each School and knew they simply couldn't get any further. Is a coach leaving for a larger pay day any different now than say 15 years ago? I mean, the money is larger, but coaches have always left for higher paying jobs.
Let me start off with I could totally be wrong, but 10-15 years ago the highest paying job were the Blue bloods and were the top of the coaching profession. ND, Mich., Texas, etc were the dream jobs that meant you reached the top. You now have schools like LSU, A&M, MSU, dropping 10m a year for a coach. So IMO stepping stones used to get you to the coaching top, now it seams more like just for financial gain. If CU offered 12m a year we would not be a stepping stone job.

Grimes And Herman are officially my top two... Is there a world where either of them could lure Walters as DC or is his next Gig HC?
Why would Walters take a horizontal position change? Unless we're paying out the ass for him to be DC & make him Co-HC I don't see why any candidate would entertain that.

And I doubt we can pay more than Illinois just based on the distributions & buyouts & new contract obligations.

Doesn't give me pause in the least.

We see coaches get fired and take a year or two as analysts or media people. No one bats an eye as those guys re-set instead of immediately jumping back in.

Why do you have a problem with a guy leaving a job on his own terms to take care of family and do some introspection for a year, coinciding with the huge change to their lives of becoming empty nesters? All I see is someone who has his sh!t together and is recharged in knowing that being a HC is what he is supposed to be doing with his life with his support network fully on board with his career.
I am curious why you conflate my hesitancy in hiring with a "problem" with his life choices. I am in no position to comment on what he decides to do personally, and frankly, don't really care until he becomes a candidate for CU HC.

My hesitation is that the last time he took a high paying HC gig, he quit. Whether the reasons were laudable or not, should give his next employer pause. That doesn't seem such a radical notion to me. It would simply be another issue to iron out before hiring. Can he explain it? What does the UVA AD really think about it? How convincing is he that he is ready to do what needs to be done at CU? Other candidates do not have that baggage, and if coach X and Bronco have no material differences in their likelihood of success, I am going with Coach X.

Having said that, Bronco is a solid HC. I also recall there was significant scuttle butt he flatly turned Bohn down during the MikMac search. Now, he's the savior? Maybe, but I would have to know what the other candidates have to offer before I am on the once interrupted Bronco express.

Of course, my opinion means exactly squat, since I have no authority to make any of those decisions.

I am curious why you conflate my hesitancy in hiring with a "problem" with his life choices. I am in no position to comment on what he decides to do personally, and frankly, don't really care until he becomes a candidate for CU HC.

My hesitation is that the last time he took a high paying HC gig, he quit. Whether the reasons were laudable or not, should give his next employer pause. That doesn't seem such a radical notion to me. It would simply be another issue to iron out before hiring. Can he explain it? What does the UVA AD really think about it? How convincing is he that he is ready to do what needs to be done at CU? Other candidates do not have that baggage, and if coach X and Bronco have no material differences in their likelihood of success, I am going with Coach X.

Having said that, Bronco is a solid HC. I also recall there was significant scuttle butt he flatly turned Bohn down during the MikMac search. Now, he's the savior? Maybe, but I would have to know what the other candidates have to offer before I am on the once interrupted Bronco express.

Of course, my opinion means exactly squat, since I have no authority to make any of those decisions.

we’d be lucky to get Bronco. While the questions you mention would be nice to answer, he spent 17 years at BYU. Compared to MT who bolted after a season, he’s shown he can stay the course.

I am still leery of a guy who has announced he is a burn out. IMO, there is a big risk he starts like a fireball and flames out when he decides he was right about being a burnout. We already had a near retiree with low to no energy/persona.
I think it’s a risk with Mendenhall. I’m not sure if burnout was really why he resigned though, at least not personal burn out. Sometimes I think a lot of what he said was just a lot of flowery words for “I’m done with UVA.” He strikes me as a guy who’s always going to take the high road, but he wanted out.

The problem is that the limitations at CU are perhaps greater than those at Virginia. Colorado has better facilities, a better history (longer term), and actually better fan support, but UVA has a top tier academic reputation and its local recruiting footprint provides more talent in one year than Colorado does in ten.

Yeah, Grimes is a P5 coordinator, so you're right. Herman = :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Grimes is a P5 coordinator who has never been a HC, he’s absolutely in the realm of reality for CU. And I’m not saying Herman is likely but the guy was available, working as an analyst during one of the craziest coaching carousels in recent memory last year and didn’t get a sniff. Things could certainly change but of the current openings I’ve mostly seen his name mentioned for CU or ASU, it’s not like he’s commanding Matt Rhule type interest at this point.

Should CU be in the market for a new coach, it's about time to admit where the program is. Our way back to respectability will not be through hiring a hot, up-and-coming candidate. Nor will it be by hiring some supposed recruiting dynamo. You want 4+ years of improvement and "success"? Look for a Snyder or Lubick, an older P5 coordinator who's had success but isn't getting HC gigs for whatever reason. A guy who understands CU's circumstances and how to "win" here (I'm only talking about bowl eligibility) and won't be poached by the SEC and B10 teams who now outspend everyone else.

I'm sticking by what I posted a month ago. Grimes would be a great hire.

I 100% agree it's unusual and therefore a question that must be asked and answered to satisfaction in an interview.

I mostly took exception with assuming it was burnout.

My take from what he's said is that it's a "know your why" sort of thing. He's reached a stage where all of the things that defined his "why" for decades have changed. Nothing much left to prove as a coach. No worries about providing generational wealth for his family. Different marriage & family dynamic with different role for a husband & father.

He said he realized/confirmed his "why" was mentoring young people and that being a college football coach remains the best way to make an impact. My assumption is that this would be extremely motivating and he'll be charged up. But, yes, ask the question in the interview and he better make you feel great about the answer.

The UVA boards have a venting thread on page 1 of their 247 board

I am always fascinated with how much that fan base resembles CU’s. They are off to a miserable start and are already losing patience with Elliott who they hired after Mendenhall left.

Mendenhall gets a mixed bag review. The theme seems to be good coach, mediocre to bad recruiter. OC Anae gets a lot of run too in the latter part of the thread (for poisoning the well on his way out). As has been mentioned, he’s sort of tied to the hip with Mendenhall.

A few people wished they had hired Cignetti up the road at James Madison U versus Elliott.

Mendenhall gets a mixed bag review. The theme seems to be good coach, mediocre to bad recruiter. OC Anae gets a lot of run too in the latter part of the thread (for poisoning the well on his way out). As has been mentioned, he’s sort of tied to the hip with Mendenhall.
Will we listen to prior employers/fans? Would have helped to listen to the Boise and fUCLA people, just sayin'.

“I've been a head coach for 17 years in a row, I was an assistant 11 before then,” Mendenhall said. “And I was a graduate assistant two years before then. And that's 31 years straight of football.

And, so, it's 31 years of straight football. And my wife and I will have been married 25 years in March. All we've known together is the rhythm of a football season. That's all my kids have known. And this January all three will be gone. And Holly and I are empty-nesters. And all they've known is the rhythm and cycle of football. And we know what that looks like really, really well.

And I would love to say there's been this buildup and a long amount of epiphanies and thought, but clearly this week there was a sense of clarity to me that I needed to step back from college football and reassess, renew, reframe and reinvent, with my wife as a partner, our future and the next chapter of our lives.”

That doesn't give you pause?

Sure, I can see stepping away, but I think it foolhardy not to be concerned he might have another "epiphany" a year or two down the road.
Urban Meyer had a bunch of epiphanies as well. He left the schools he was at in better shape than he found them. And so did Mendenhall. There is risk involved in every coaching hire. The downsides for Mendenhall are a lot fewer than they are for just about anybody else on the list.

Will we listen to prior employers/fans? Would have helped to listen to the Boise and fUCLA people, just sayin'.
We absolutely should. I haven’t spent enough time over there to gauge the fans’ sentiment on Mendenhall completely. It doesn’t seem bad. He left the place in better shape than he found it. I guess I would say his tenure has a MacIntyre feel to it, in my limited reading. That’s not bad per se. it wasn’t like Boise fans point blank telling us we hired the wrong coach, or UCLA beat writers saying WTF on Dorrell.

excellent point. I think there was a lot on UCLA message boards that our athletic department either ignored or somehow weren’t aware of with the last hire?? Seems that the same concerns they had were also present here. Difference I guess is Bronco’s past success.

Whether it’s Grimes or Walters or Herman or Bronco or any of the others, I’m gonna believe that they’re going to get it right this time and then I’m in and behind the new coach completely.

We absolutely should. I haven’t spent enough time over there to gauge the fans’ sentiment on Mendenhall completely. It doesn’t seem bad. He left the place in better shape than he found it. I guess I would say his tenure has a MacIntyre feel to it, in my limited reading. That’s not bad per se. it wasn’t like Boise fans point blank telling us we hired the wrong coach, or UCLA beat writers saying WTF on Dorrell.
Fair.

General response to others above, I want to say this again, I think Bronco is a solid HC.

He is not Urban Meyer, a three time NC winner at two different schools. Please, give me a break in comparing the two and their "epiphanies".

Bronco's success was at BYU, he was a .500 HC at UVA. Some say look at his longevity at BYU, but do I need to point out being the Mormon HC at a Mormon school surrounded by that highly supportive atmosphere may not, in some crazy world, translate somewhere else seamlessly? It seemed to rub off pretty quickly in Charlottesville.

So, in the end, Bronco is a solid candidate. I do not think he is the best candidate. However, if CU were to land him, the outcome, absent another "epiphany" would be a net positive.

Fair.

General response to others above, I want to say this again, I think Bronco is a solid HC.

He is not Urban Meyer, a three time NC winner at two different schools. Please, give me a break in comparing the two and their "epiphanies".

Bronco's success was at BYU, he was a .500 HC at UVA. Some say look at his longevity at BYU, but do I need to point out being the Mormon HC at a Mormon school surrounded by that highly supportive atmosphere may not, in some crazy world, translate somewhere else seamlessly? It seemed to rub off pretty quickly in Charlottesville.

So, in the end, Bronco is a solid candidate. I do not think he is the best candidate. However, if CU were to land him, the outcome, absent another "epiphany" would be a net positive.
I seriously think a few of you all from Allbuffs should be on a search committee. :)

lefty, who’s your top choice for HC?

Let me start off with I could totally be wrong, but 10-15 years ago the highest paying job were the Blue bloods and were the top of the coaching profession. ND, Mich., Texas, etc were the dream jobs that meant you reached the top. You now have schools like LSU, A&M, MSU, dropping 10m a year for a coach. So IMO stepping stones used to get you to the coaching top, now it seams more like just for financial gain. If CU offered 12m a year we would not be a stepping stone job.
You could still win a national championship at ND and OU 10-15 years ago. In today's landscape, it was obvious to Kelly and Riley that winning a NC at either School wasn't going to happen. Riley/Kelly want to win a championship and they know the money will be there wherever they go. Mel's primary goal is money and marketing himself to the fullest, with winning secondary. I think more than anything, you are seeing a shift in bluebloods and those who can still produce a national championship and those who can't.

Fair.

You realize the entire point of the comparison of epiphanies was to show that any coach can burn out at one place and still do well at another, yes? There was absolutely zero claim that they were (or are) the same coach with comparable competencies.

You realize the entire point of the comparison of epiphanies was to show that any coach can burn out at one place and still do well at another, yes? There was absolutely zero claim that they were (or are) the same coach with comparable competencies.
No. I didn't. If that was your point, you expressed it poorly. Try harder next time. You can do it, I believe in you.

Well at least Wilner picked this up. Need max embarrassment for CU from media in order to get them to begin changing

CU at the game does a great job explaining the issue with transfer admissions. It's really not that hard to fix for CU so it isn't debilitating for the athletic department.

You could still win a national championship at ND and OU 10-15 years ago. In today's landscape, it was obvious to Kelly and Riley that winning a NC at either School wasn't going to happen. Riley/Kelly want to win a championship and they know the money will be there wherever they go. Mel's primary goal is money and marketing himself to the fullest, with winning secondary. I think more than anything, you are seeing a shift in bluebloods and those who can still produce a national championship and those who can't.
I think that saying that 2 programs which have been in the 4-team playoff aren't places you can win a national championship is ridiculous. Actually makes me question the coach and whether the ceiling is his and he's too focused on what he perceives he didn't have & using that as an excuse for his shortfall.

Back