What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

I think most people (around here at least) believe his affiliation with the University as a former Buff is actually a negative. I'm just curious what more he needs to do as an assistant to be viewed as ready? He's been coaching for 13 years and has spent 11 of those years at the P5 level, including the last 5 years as a coordinator in either the SEC or B1G, and has most recently created the best defense in the country with bottom half P5 talent.

I agree there are questions around his recruiting track record, but we wouldn't be hiring him to be the boots on the ground recruiter.

The biggest question mark is his ability to assemble a quality staff. Legitimate concern, but from all accounts he really impressed the search committee with the staff options he put together, and if you're telling me he has an assistant salary pool for $7m+ to work with, I think that helps alleviate some concern there.
I think Ryan Walters is a stellar athlete, coach, former Buff and all around great person. I’d be very happy with him as coach at CU. I agree that he doesn’t need to do anything more to prove himself. I think it’s hard for anyone to compete with DS but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Walters as someone in as high demand for HC positions next year. If DS doesn’t work out, I hope he’d consider coming to CU. Really DS and RW are both great options IMO.

I had to edit this to add that IF DS brought RW here as our defensive coordinator, that would be absolutely amazing.

But those guys went to blue blood type programs. Kirby likely could have been a HC sooner had he wanted. I would also add Aranda and Wilcox to that off the top of my head. Good coaches are good coaches.

Regardless, none of this answers my question about him being “too green”.
“Too green” in the aspect that he needs experience running the show. While I believe he would be a fantastic defensive minded coach, and that he could succeed. He would need one hell of a OC to offset his lack of experience running that side of the ball.

I don’t think we could find an OC that could deliver enough brilliance the same way an mildly experienced offensive HC.

I am all for Ryan being a big wig at the round table in CU. But, bring him here as a DC/Head Coach in waiting. Get him a few more years learning how to captain the ship.

We’re seeing what a great defensive mind, and a ****ty OC would do, with Brent Venables at OK.

You have to find a counterpart that can run the show on the opposite side of the ball that is your expertise.

Billy B. in New England has gotten away with that for over 20 years. He has had amazing OC’s to compliment his defensive genius

Yeah. Cross the next coaching hire bridge when you get to it. If we get things turned around finding the next guy will be easy.
This, 100%. If we can land PRIME, it’s because the academic and institutional hurdles have been removed (for the most part). We’re no longer a bottom feeder at that point, as far as transfers and admitting quality athletes.

We’re seeing what a great defensive mind, and a ****ty OC would do, with Brent Venables at OK.

You have to find a counterpart that can run the show on the opposite side of the ball that is your expertise.

Billy B. in New England has gotten away with that for over 20 years. He has had amazing OC’s to compliment his defensive genius
Or just have the best QB in the game and the OC isn't all that important either.

Actually the O'Donnell guy did mean Hartline is interviewing at Ohio State because Ryan Day is leaving to become our OC with Walters at DC
Partially true.

Walters is coming as DC.

Prime will be the HC.

Day's considering coming as OC because this is so big that his advisors are telling him it would be a more prestigious job than being HC at tOSU.

Also, Nikita is going to start arranging weekly 3-ways for us with any woman I put on a wish list.

FACT!!!

Partially true.

Walters is coming as DC.

Prime will be the HC.

Day's considering coming as OC because this is so big that his advisors are telling him it would be a more prestigious job than being HC at tOSU.

Also, Nikita is going to start arranging weekly 3-ways for us with any woman I put on a wish list.

FACT!!!
Any chance Walters could really be the DC?

Any chance Walters could really be the DC?
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Back