What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

***Official CU National Signing Day Thread***

Who coaches at Ole Miss that they're offering so many western players? Seems like an odd footprint for them to be spending resources on.

Coach at MSU has connection with Noah's dad and Valors Dline coach as well. What I've heard fwiw

Saw on DP site that UNC (Greely) had a 39 player class. That's massive!
Mesa signed 43. It is much more common for D2 players to graduate instead playing a 5th year if they didn't redshirt. I realize that UNC is FCS, I wonder if they have the same issue.

I couldn't be happier with this class when I review it in terms of the recent past. After a significant mid-cycle up swing, we lost Newman (OL) and Osling (DB) and gained Padlowski (TE) and Roddick (OL) on the last day.

A Top 30-ish ranking in recruiting is a great foundation if we made the right bets.

I'm optimistic we will look back on this class similarly to the class of 1985. Those guys bet on Coach Mac and his promise to deliver greatness. He did - because of them. They didn't see a national championship, but they built the team that got us there.

Last edited:
Coach at MSU has connection with Noah's dad and Valors Dline coach as well. What I've heard fwiw
I posted yesterday that the new Miss St DL coach is a close family friend of the Ellis's family. Noah's Dad played for him with the Lions in fact.

Was there a press conference that we could watch where all these twitter quotes are coming from?

Now that this class is solidified completely barring a late grad transfer, I think that the CUin17 recruits will be remembered as the ones who marked the start of a distinctly new era in Colorado football, the era of Coach Mac's success and CU's "modern successful years"

I love the players that made last year possible and so exciting, but this class shows that we are improving everywhere top to bottom. It may not be evident through our record next year, but one or two years down the road it will be clear through on-field results that recruiting has taken a giant upswing around here.

We will see an even better recruiting class next year, undoubtedly. It takes time to build up the name of Colorado football, but soon enough the program will regain some of its former prestige.

Looks like a 6'3 255 DE/TE from Monarch.

Guessing that he will go to defense quickly, on offense as a TE only had one reception.

Has the size and speed though to make an impact on the scout team immediately. Make us a better team even if he isn't on the field in games.

Also the kind of guy who wants to be a Buff and wants to prove he can play at the P5 level. He is good enough that he is giving up a scholly at a lower level program to be here.

A big welcome.

Mesa signed 43. It is much more common for D2 players to graduate instead playing a 5th year if they didn't redshirt. I realize that UNC is FCS, I wonder if they have the same issue.

As you mention D2 players usually don't play a fifth year. With the limited scholarships and smaller rosters they don't do a lot of redshirting other than for injuries.

Also unlike at the D1 level they can split scholarships. They get 63 at the FCS level and 36 at the D2 level but at D2 they can split them up and add academic scholarships as well as grants and loans.

From the NCAA website:

Division II partial-scholarship model

Division II relies on a partial-scholarship model to administer athletics-based financial aid. Very few of the 110,000 student-athletes competing in Division II will receive a full athletics grant that covers all of their expenses, but most of them will receive some athletics-based financial aid to help them through school. For the rest of their expenses, student-athletes use academic scholarships, student loans and employment earnings just like most other students attending the school.
The partial-scholarship model allows Division II schools to recognize student-athletes for their skills through athletics-based aid, while at the same time keeping athletics budgets more in line with the institution’s bottom line. It costs Division II schools about half as much to sponsor a competitive athletics program as it does in Division I. The net operating costs in Division II even tend to be lower than for programs of similar size in Division III (primarily because of higher net operating revenues in Division II).
The partial-scholarship model is sometimes referred to as an “equivalency” system. That’s because schools in Division II are allowed to award athletics-based financial aid that is “equivalent” to a certain number of full grants in each sport.
For example, in football, schools are allowed to award up to 36 “equivalencies” or full grants, but of course the rosters in football are much larger than 36 players. Thus, coaches and financial aid officers at Division II institutions decide how to allocate those equivalencies as partial scholarships. That means some student-athletes may receive more athletics-based aid than others, and some will not receive any at all. As a comparison, schools in the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision are allotted 85 “full rides.”

Back