What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU vs. UNC Game Thread

At least Lewis didn't turn it over. Everything else about how he looked last night was pretty underwhelming. The potential is obvious, but there's a lot of maturation left to do, and it might not be pretty. Hopefully in a couple years he'll still be our guy and we will look back on this game as a reminder of how much better he's gotten.

I can't stand games like this. They encourage such terrible takes and put every error under a microscope. The game needs to be like 56-0 or we act like the sky is falling. If we did let it rip against these guys, and won by roughly the same score, but with most of the points coming in the first half before idling in the second, this board would probably be different today. It's obvious that this team is going to have to rely on the run game this year; luckily, I think we have the personnel to do that. If Lewis can occasionally hit some bigger passes, while continuing to limit mistakes and turnovers, I feel fine. CU will be on the fringe of qualifying / not qualifying for a bowl. Which is pretty much what we've been post-2016.

Lots of hand wringing over the Barnes and Lamb depth chart placement. Can’t honestly say they blew me away last night.

edit: Barnes didn’t play. That’s why he didn’t blow me away.

Last edited:
One, you've talked about recruiting already (as you do ad nauseum on here), and you've said Lewis wasn't accurate.......Didn't Mel Tucker (who you loved because you thought he was such a good recruiter) recruit that QB you said was inaccurate?

Two, I've already called out the discipline from last night more than once (Far and away the biggest concern)-but I'm a sunshine pumper according to you......so what the hell do I know?
Discipline reminiscent of the MacIntire era. Not good enough

At least Lewis didn't turn it over. Everything else about how he looked last night was pretty underwhelming. The potential is obvious, but there's a lot of maturation left to do, and it might not be pretty. Hopefully in a couple years he'll still be our guy and we will look back on this game as a reminder of how much better he's gotten.

I can't stand games like this. They encourage such terrible takes and put every error under a microscope. The game needs to be like 56-0 or we act like the sky is falling. If we did let it rip against these guys, and won by roughly the same score, but with most of the points coming in the first half before idling in the second, this board would probably be different today. It's obvious that this team is going to have to rely on the run game this year; luckily, I think we have the personnel to do that. If Lewis can occasionally hit some bigger passes, while continuing to limit mistakes and turnovers, I feel fine. CU will be on the fringe of qualifying / not qualifying for a bowl. Which is pretty much what we've been post-2016.
Honestly, my biggest concerns/complaints (other than penalties) were:
- Right out of the gate, against a much more inferior opponent, we couldn’t blow them off the ball and run inside. To me that doesn’t bode well when looking toward much bigger/stronger teams…if that is going to be our identity
- Defensively, it appeared to me that UNC tended to stop themselves rather than us stopping them; dropped passes, overthrown passes, a few crucial penalties. They were gaining some good chunks of yards but then just shoot them selves in the foot. Not something better teams are going to. Sort of like our LBs were swimming in coverage.

I think you and SBP are missing my point.
Your larger point (I think) that MSU then got trounced by an RMAC program is well taken.

MSU’s Chadron State loss was an extra dose of hideous heaped upon a main course of fried dog ****. Kinda got one of my feet firmly out the door of the DH era before it really began.

Barnes didn’t play because he was hurt and Lamb only played toward the end in garbage time. Did Perry inspire?
Lamb = right. That’s my point. And it wasn’t as dominant as I thought it’d be.
Perry = based on the way people talk, I thought it’d be worse. But like I mentioned in another post, I thought the LBs were swimming in general (sure, Landman and Wells had a few good plays, but overall..meh).

I thought this too, but I found out they have a whole bunch of transfers from all over D1. 65 new guys this year.

That tight end that ran over Lewis looked legit.

We had very few yards between the tackles, and their interior d-line didn’t seem too bad

I wonder if UNC might turn out to be a pretty good team?
A whole bunch of transfers from D1 programs where they never saw the field, hence the reason they transferred. No one transfers to UNC because they want to play in Greeley.

Lamb = right. That’s my point. And it wasn’t as dominant as I thought it’d be.
Perry = based on the way people talk, I thought it’d be worse. But like I mentioned in another post, I thought the LBs were swimming in general (sure, Landman and Wells had a few good plays, but overall..meh).
They were good in run defense, not great in pass defense. Barnes needs to be that guy when he’s healthy. Defense was fine, overall, though

I mean, the offense dominated in the run game and the defense dominated throughout for the most part. Our freshman QB making his first start struggled, as did our back up Tackle pairing, but they put up almost 400 yards of offense and won by 4 TDs.

I agree there are concerns with pass pro and Lewis’ development, but I think the doom and gloom is being greatly accentuated by the slow start to the game and lack of explosive plays.
The runs that were successful were outside, with the TE getting a block on the edge and the RB's making a guy miss on the edge to get the yardage. Literally, no other team on the schedule will give up yards to a run game that can only do that.

The runs that were successful were outside, with the TE getting a block on the edge and the RB's making a guy miss on the edge to get the yardage. Literally, no other team on the schedule will give up yards to a run game that can only do that.
Ok? I don’t really know if that statement has much legitimacy to it. It’s basic outside zone. Every team runs it all the time. Some have success, some don’t. Chev found a weakness in their defense and exploited it. Let’s not cherry pick what’s good coaching/play calling/execution and what’s “just lucky because it’s UNC“

Ok? I don’t really know if that statement has much legitimacy to it. It’s basic outside zone. Every team runs it all the time
True, it was outside zone. Inside runs got stuffed, repeatedly. Some of those big gainers were because the UNC guys got out athleted, something that will be less frequent vs. the rest of the schedule. There were defenders in position to make the play, but got juked, the RB broke the tackle etc. The RB's looked good.

You and Lefty are both correct here. These will no be free runs against decent DEs and OLBs.
Yes, Chev and Dorrell will have to find some other things to have success, but it feels like people are cherry picking a lot here with the criticism. Tackle and QB play/play calling were the only real issues. Everything else was pretty good

True, it was outside zone. Inside runs got stuffed, repeatedly. Some of those big gainers were because the UNC guys got out athleted, something that will be less frequent vs. the rest of the schedule. There were defenders in position to make the play, but got juked, the RB broke the tackle etc. The RB's looked good.
Yep all 5 RBs looked good. I’m sure we just have the most talented RBs in the history of everdom. Come on, the running game was great last night and the OL was great with their run blocking. It’s possible to say that, while at the same time saying pass pro was pretty poor from the Tackles

The KD <> Chev connection and past relationship already has and will spell disaster. Chev doesn’t have the strategic mind to be an in-game OC. We need a wonk. Get me the Mines coach at this point!

I do like everyone’s take on this ’no game’. Not sure what one should have expected…and yes a crushing defeat is always nice. But to yap about Noyer is crazy. Did we not pretty much agree on Noyer’s limitations last season?
It is the first game of the season and all of you had long ago pretty much written a 50 pt loss vs AtM. Sooo nothing new. If it is a 40, 50, 60 pt loss…there is no more fuel for your fire.

Support them…believe in them…bring some hope. Let’s cry after the season. It is only the first game…

One, you've talked about recruiting already (as you do ad nauseum on here), and you've said Lewis wasn't accurate.......Didn't Mel Tucker (who you loved because you thought he was such a good recruiter) recruit that QB you said was inaccurate?

Two, I've already called out the discipline from last night more than once (Far and away the biggest concern)-but I'm a sunshine pumper according to you......so what the hell do I know?
Keep it on track here about the game. A decent D will line up and stuff the run and dare this team to pass. BLew is not seeing the field, did decent things with his legs but could not connect much further than 5 yards down field. I also do not see a lot of promise in our D. They stopped a poor Big Sky team and held them to 7 but the QBs we will see coming up are not going to miss targets like McCaffery did. He was horrible. We will see. Hope I eat crow but this Buff team is lower their Pac 12 team at best. And yes, here I go beating the recruiting drum again, with the way recruiting is going, this is a high water mark

Back