What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official D coordinator search thread (DJ Eliot hired?)

Kacy Rogers could get a look.

Well, Gus Bradley just got fired as the Jags HC. Previously the DC who built the Ds at the Seahawks and at North Dakota State. Coached at Fort Lewis College, so some ties to the state of Colorado. Fiery guy who is a heck of a defensive coordinator.

These are the kind of names that are out there, and are worth kicking the tires on to see if they have any interest. There will be more of these types out there at the end of the NFL season, and you never know where their head might be. Whether they have a bad taste in their mouth from the NFL and want to get back to the college game, or they want to move their family somewhere like Boulder, or whatever, I think we could find someone to bite that could pickup where Leavitt left off.

With HCMM being a former very successful DC himself, I'm not sure he needs a big name or an NFL guy. I'd sort of rather he find an up and comer young, energetic guy who can also recruit. A guy where CFB is his bread and butter.

I feel the HCMM system is in place now. Our DBs are going to be coached the same way no matter who is the DC.
He's got his system tuned. Unless you think it's Leavitt's system, and we are going to be lost without him. I don't think so.

The first two examples below are guys who took over with little DC experience, but for very strong Defensive minded Head Coaches. They were "system guys" though that had coached for these Head Coaches already.
Oregon State: Kevin Clune (1 yr DC at Hawaii) hired 2016.
Utah: Morgan Scalley (promoted from within in 2016)

Another seemingly great hire was the one Leach made at WSU. He can't spell defense, but it appears he found a good one.
WSU: Alex Grinch (3 prior years as a position coach at Missouri) hired in 2015

I'm not saying go cheap, but you can always use the money on Special Teams, TE coaches and some budding superstars on the offensive side.....

As long as the next guy can recruit and the experience as a coordinator is there, just find the right fit. Bonus points if we can find So Cal and/or Poly recruiting connections.

I know this probably won't be popular, but what about Randy Shannon. He could be available after bowl season, plus he is a great LB coach.

I know this probably won't be popular, but what about Randy Shannon. He could be available after bowl season, plus he is a great LB coach.

Shannon would be an excellent hire if he doesn't get the UF job. Just named interim DC. My concern would be with recruiting. We'll get some guys out of FL and GA, but I don't think it has been good to have 3/4 of our defensive staff with their best recruiting contacts there. I think we need to strengthen our AZ, So Cal and Poly/Samoan recruiting in the west as the focus with this offseason's hires.

Shannon would be an excellent hire if he doesn't get the UF job. Just named interim DC. My concern would be with recruiting. We'll get some guys out of FL and GA, but I don't think it has been good to have 3/4 of our defensive staff with their best recruiting contacts there. I think we need to strengthen our AZ, So Cal and Poly/Samoan recruiting in the west as the focus with this offseason's hires.

I agree to an extent-the biggest question with assistants in play calling spots is scheming, and not necessarily recruiting. That's not to say that they don't do it.....but you're going to see names like Chiaverini and Tumpkin on rivals and scout in the "recruited by" column alot more than say Lindgren or Leavitt when he was here. Florida recruiting in particular got that much tougher with the hires made by FAU, FIU, and USF, so I'm not sure we need to make that a huge focus in recruiting. All of those coaches have been a part of national championship teams, and they all can recruit. I still think the best external candidate for this job is Sirmon from Mississippi State. He's coached in the league twice, and he held the Recruiting Coordinator title at Southern Cal when he was there. In addition, he's also a 3-4 guy, which is also a huge plus for this position. He's also a Washington native and Oregon alum, so I'd bet the idea of being a DC in this league would be appealing to him. He makes 635k currently.

I wouldn't be opposed to anything but I don't pay attention to staffs really, Duff and some others could answer that better than me.

Watching the Boca Raton bowl, wouldn't mind Nick Holt...at least on the staff not necessarily DC.

Hires?
It sounds like the Clark to Oregon rumor was a false alarm. Jeffcoat seems to be staying too. Have you heard more about Bernardi retiring or some one else?

Hires?
It sounds like the Clark to Oregon rumor was a false alarm. Jeffcoat seems to be staying too. Have you heard more about Bernardi retiring or some one else?

Oh, no. Sorry for the confusion. I'm just assuming that the committee vote to increase the number of assistants from 9 to 10 will get ratified. And that CU will choose to balance things out with 5 assistants on each side by hiring another defensive guy.

Oh, no. Sorry for the confusion. I'm just assuming that the committee vote to increase the number of assistants from 9 to 10 will get ratified. And that CU will choose to balance things out with 5 assistants on each side by hiring another defensive guy.
No problem. Wishful thinking on my part. I'm hoping the 10th coach focuses on recruiting - maybe Chidera and that would mean no STC unless Bernardi retires or moves to an analyst position.

No idea about his coaching ability, but if we are looking for a LBs coach who can help with recruiting Poly kids, this might be a decent fit: http://www.suutbirds.com/ViewArticl...B_OEM_ID=20100&ATCLID=210834215&Q_SEASON=2016

Watching the Boca Raton bowl, wouldn't mind Nick Holt...at least on the staff not necessarily DC.

Agreed, does anyone know much about him? Watching that game last night he seemed jacked the whole game. Someone with a strong personality.

Edit: I read his profile and definitely think we can do better.

Last edited:
Didn't someone on here say his health has declined significantly?

Don't know where his health is right now but know that when he left here he was having major problems with his knees and hips. Bad enough that it made recruiting hard because he had a hard time getting on and sitting in airplanes.

Love Cabral and wish him all the best in the world but don't see how he would be a consideration here even if he wanted to.

Don't know where his health is right now but know that when he left here he was having major problems with his knees and hips. Bad enough that it made recruiting hard because he had a hard time getting on and sitting in airplanes.

Love Cabral and wish him all the best in the world but don't see how he would be a consideration here even if he wanted to.
He should be considered for a "quality control consultant" role (heck, make it a remote work role where he works in/from Hawaii), but a coaching role is probably too much at this point.

Fans significantly overvalue coaches who wear their emotions on their sleeve or have a strong twitter game.

i agree..... it was fun watching leavitt pacing the sidelines waving his arms and jumping around....doesnt mean that the next d coord cant be just as good sitting up in the press box

Back