What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Game Thread: Buffs at Utah (Wednesday, 7pm)

1. Washington - Home
  2. Washington State - Home
  3. USC - Away
  4. California - Home
  5. Stanford - Home
  6. Oregon State - Away
  7. Arizona State - Home
  8. Washington State - Away

Other than the OSU away game we are favored to win those games at this point. Plus, there is the Pac 12 Tournament. Once again, absolutely incredible how ignorant you are to the other 11 teams.

:lol: the clowns have come out to play tonight.

Even at home, there's no way UW, Cal and Furd are guarantees. If we go 2-1 there, we're fortunate. We struggled at OSU last year. ASU is down but so are we. What's ignorant is how you don't see what's plainly obvious. If the Pac12 is down this year, a 16-win Pac 12 team might not get in to the NIT.

Last edited:
Sky is not falling. Utah is legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, Utah is a legitimate top 10 team this year

Even at home, there's no way UW, Cal and Furd are guarantees. If we go 2-1 there, we're fortunate. We struggled vs OSU last year. ASU is down but so are we. What's ignorant is how you don't see what's plainly obvious. If the Pac12 team is down this year, a 16-win Pac 12 team might not get in to the NIT.

Do you read what you type? Have you ever looked at the statistics...like at all? Maybe you should make some more claims about how Jaron isn't athletic. I hear Ski or XJ aren't either. I hear Brett Brady is extremely athletic AND is a great shooter. For all your crying, KenPom still has the most likely outcome of the season as 16-14. TeamRankings has us at 17-13. #StatsBitch

Last edited:
[tweet]553019485142020096[/tweet]

Has this become one our Mizzou 5th down? Yeah it was a terrible call. That happens. That was nearly 2 years ago. So even if you count that as a W that's still a 40 year drought. Still bad.

But the people in the media won't ever say anything and arizona fans will laugh at us when we get curb stomped this year like we did with Mizzou fans mentioning it 20 years after the fact.

Does Ken Pom factor in XJ's injury? Doubt it.

And I'm sure all Pac 12 teams are game planning to neutralize JHop's elite athleticism, as big a weapon as its been for us.

1. Washington - Home
  2. Washington State - Home
  3. USC - Away
  4. California - Home
  5. Stanford - Home
  6. Oregon State - Away
  7. Arizona State - Home
  8. Washington State - Away

Other than the OSU away game we are favored to win those games at this point. Plus, there is the Pac 12 Tournament. Once again, absolutely incredible how ignorant you are to the other 11 teams.

:lol: the clowns have come out to play tonight.

Thank you for showing your continued wit 'Tini. Yes other teams in the PAC have problems. USC, Washington State, Cal and UCLA have issues every bit as serious as CU does. Oregon State always has problems, but they are showing positive signs. The Buffs could beat the Beavers if the Buffs were at home, but on the road. Sorry but this team has no hope on the road. USC and WSU on the road are the only two possible road wins and these guys are more than capable of losing to Stanford at home. If I am wrong about the Washington game then by all means call me out after the game. I would happily endure the criticism. :stupid:

On a side note, when the Buffs lost out on Chapman to the Utes I said it was a huge loss and a sign of things to come (yes its still on the board). I got ripped, everyone talked about the Utes being a joke. Wouldn't it have been nice to have had Chapman tonight instead of having him play for the Utes?

Does Ken Pom factor in XJ's injury? Doubt it.

And I'm sure all Pac 12 teams are game planning to neutralize JHop's elite athleticism, as big a weapon as its been for us.
Oh so XJ is out for the rest of the year? Oh that's right...

[tweet]553049784756359168[/tweet]

Thanks, Doc

If you see 7 more guaranteed wins on our schedule, with XJ potentially sidelined, point them out.

I see 11 winnable games left for the Buffs. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that they'll win all 11, I understand that this team has some concerning deficiencies ... but there are 11 games left where the team should play well and potentially get a win.

Home Games:
- Washington
- Washington State
- Utah (Yes, I expect a close game here in Boulder)
- Cal
- Stanford
- Arizona State

Road Games:
- @ Arizona State (ASU is not quite as good/tough this year)
- @ USC
- @ UCLA (like ASU, UCLA is developing and not nearly as good this year)
- @ Oregon State
- @ Washington State

I understand that its easy to be down on the team given the poor loss tonight. Lets face it, the Buffs didn't play very well, they lost XJ to what initially looks like a bad injury, and got flat run out of the gym by a very HOT Utah team.

This is a team that is requiring and hoping on quality contribution from "developing" underclassmen (Hopkins, Fletcher, Gordon, Thomas, Collier) who are all good athletes/players still figuring out their game(s). Tory Miller can be included as well. Sometimes that's the way it works out! Sometimes you get Freshman that are ready to be key contributors by the end of their 1st year or by the time they're Sophomores (take Dinwiddie and Roberson for example) and sometimes kids aren't yet ready until they're Juniors, and in some cases Seniors or maybe never.

I don't expect the Buffs, or Boyle, to just fold it up. While Its clear that CU's NCAA tourney hopes are shot, they still have a good chance to get 6 or 8 more wins, a potential 8-10; 9-9; 10-8 finish in the conference, and may have an opportunity to build this team further in a postseason tournament like the NIT.

The math still doesn't work unless you are taking risks in hopes they work out.

They did in a somewhat educated way. In 2011 they had to sign 8 players just to make a full team. Some of them were walk-ons and Utah didn't have a full roster of scholarship players.
Of those original 8 players only 3 were retained for the following year. They also had two seniors one of whom never played in 2011 due to a pre-season injury. Of the 3 retained they all came in as juniors and only had 1 year remaining for 2012-13. One had to medically retire. Of the four 2012 recruits one was a JC transfer so he only had 2 years to play and one transferred looking for more playing time and one was a graduate transfer that only had one year. Of the 2013 recruits two are missionaries one played 1 year and then left for his mission. The other left for his mission right out of high school and won't join the team until next year. Three of them left the team after last year one moved back to his native country. Two left looking for more playing time. So really out of last years recruiting class we only have one that counts as being on the team this year which is Delon Wright.

So outside of 2011 Utah hasn't really cut dead wood.

Oh so XJ is out for the rest of the year? Oh that's right...

[tweet]553049784756359168[/tweet]

Thanks, Doc

When did I say he was out the rest of the year? But at the very least he likely will miss @ASU and vs. UW, both of which are far from locks. And high ankle sprains have a tendency to linger.

And didn't you guarantee a win vs CSU?

When did I say he was out the rest of the year? But at the very least he likely will miss @ASU and vs. UW, both of which are far from locks. And high ankle sprains have a tendency to linger.

And didn't you guarantee a win vs CSU?
So he's out for the next two games and limited a bit in the next two, let's pack up shop because god dammit we are so bad at home. XJ also has 14 days to recover a bit. He and we will be fine.

[tweet]553019485142020096[/tweet]

Has this become one our Mizzou 5th down? Yeah it was a terrible call. That happens. That was nearly 2 years ago. So even if you count that as a W that's still a 40 year drought. Still bad.

But the people in the media won't ever say anything and arizona fans will laugh at us when we get curb stomped this year like we did with Mizzou fans mentioning it 20 years after the fact.

As embarrassing as tonight was, a road loss to the #9 team with Xavier Johnson not playing does not equate to "not going to the NIT". Everyone in the Pac other than Arizona is going to get pounded up the ass in SLC this year.

They don't call it the Pac for nothing!

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't high ankle sprains normally require 4-6 weeks?

Could we have a discussion about why teams have trouble on the road? Or is it obvious - a familiar court, cheering fans, etc? And most importantly, is there anything that can be done to improve road performance? Obviously most teams struggle with this issue and it remains unresolved, but other than collecting an overwhelming amount of talent, are there any actions that might improve a team's odds on the road?

Could we have a discussion about why teams have trouble on the road? Or is it obvious - a familiar court, cheering fans, etc? And most importantly, is there anything that can be done to improve road performance? Obviously most teams struggle with this issue and it remains unresolved, but other than collecting an overwhelming amount of talent, are there any actions that might improve a team's odds on the road?

My theory is having a point guard matters. A lot.

My theory is having a point guard matters. A lot.

Having a good point guard is like having a good quarterback. Having a GREAT point guard (like Spencer Dinwiddie was for the Buffs) is like having a Manning, Brady, or Brees leading your team. Colorado doesn't have a good disciplined, "full package" PG this year. They have Booker and Talton to start with, but neither has grown to be a real mature/disciplined guard. Collier, who has the package to be a good PG at some point, is obviously very raw and undisciplined, and needs to add bulk.

This is part of the issue as to why CU is struggling more this season regardless of where they play.

What makes it even tougher is when your other star players, like XJ, Hopkins, and J Scott, are non-factors or are complacent within certain portions of the games. I really can't remember any good 8-10-15 minute stretch, this year, where any of these guys (let alone the group of them) have played a good disciplined, no turnover, brand of basketball.

Dinwiddie was an excellent floor general ... able to keep these misfits (I say that tongue in cheek) in check and playing to the top of their individual games. That's why last years squad (with the same players just about) was 14-2 at this point, ranked 15th, and looking really good, and why this years team hasn't looked very good and is struggling at 9-6.

Don't know why everyone freaked about losing this game. Key is being able to beat the ASU's, USC's and UCLA's of the Conference on the road, more often than not

Don't know why everyone freaked about losing this game. Key is being able to beat the ASU's, USC's and UCLA's of the Conference on the road, more often than not

I'm not freaked out about the loss, just shocked at the turnaround john they did to get there. The program was a joke a few years ago. Tad may need to do the same scholarship manipulation as well, if he wants to win.

I'm not freaked out about the loss, just shocked at the turnaround john they did to get there. The program was a joke a few years ago. Tad may need to do the same scholarship manipulation as well, if he wants to win.

There isn't really a lot of scholly manipulation as the Ute pointed out. They got a juco transfer who is in the running for pac12 player of the year, lucked into a lottery pick and added that to a nice pice that already had and a 4* recruit. They cut a bunch that first year but as pointed out they held open trouts and were plucking kids off the street.

You move delon wright to our team we are the number 2 squad in the PAC no questions asked.

Not a huge deal. A little concerned with the way we lost (I didn't think we'd go out there and lose by 25)......The more I watch this team, the more I think we'd be better off doing enough to get ourselves a 1 seed in the NIT and being in a position to make a run and keep practicing there......It'd be good for guys like Fletcher, Collier, Hopkins, and Thomas.....and this team clearly has holes. What better way to see if we can develop what we have to fill those or recruit that type of talent?

It does, but it wasn't like they were exactly a great road team with a top PG

No, but we were better than now. We were at least going 4-5ish in conference play (even better without cheating in Tucson) despite not having the skill/experience in other areas that we do now. Point guard isn't the only answer, but a poised experience point guard goes a long way in fixing road woes.

As for the Utah freakout, I'm with you. We had little to no chance to begin with, let alone without XJ. Let's just get @ Arizona over with and focus on the key two games of @ ASU then Washington at home.

Like others have said, not a lot of manipulation, other then Delon Wright, and I suppose the foreign big that they got. They've just hit on most of their recruits and have a couple more contributing players than we have currently. They are who we should have been last season

For Colorado, it is a question of both missing on a few recruits potentially, and also still being very young. Lack of a true PG hurts, and my hope is if they don't land someone like Dorsey, that they hit the JC and transfer market hard for an impact player that will be eligible right away.

Just the 19 recruits in 3 years seemed so abnormal. I didn't dig into their roster just the numbers.

Back