What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Game Thread: COLORADO @ Nebraska --- 9/8 @ 1:30

You know, for all the talk about how physical Nebraska was, we put a hurt on them as well.

Their starting center went down, they had a defensive lineman drop, Gamboa hit their true freshman RB so hard that the guy got up wanting to start a fight, Landman hit Bell so hard he flipped over, we forced a few fumbles, etc. Nebraska was very physical but we didn’t back down and won a lot of the tough yard battles.

aqDwC.png

I trust Montez, but I wouldn’t have trusted the offensive line to get the necessary push yesterday. They were just physically outmatched in the run game. I still didn’t like the play call, but I can see not going with the QB keep there.

That's the advantage of a 6'5"/230 QB though. Great push is not a necessity.

I agree with everybody that the O and D lines need to improve and that wasn't a great showing.

However, I think it is fair to mention that Nebraska had 4 returning starters including 3 seniors on their O line, and 3 returning starters including 2 seniors and a junior on their D line. And those guys are pretty talented.

Nebraska overall has a veteran team with 15 returning starters and home field, so I think those factors do matter when doing an overall evaluation of the Buffs performance.

You sneak it in that situation imho. Gotta wonder that they were worried about doing that because he doesn't take many snaps. I don't know what else it could be?

Have we talked about that squib kick after our game winning touchdown yet? What's the point of that with a minute left?

The only real advantage I can think of is if they are afraid of the big play capability of the deep returner. Kick it to a TE and while you give up some field position you have little risk of him taking it to the end zone.

Now the long part

Day after thoughts.

Focus on the OL. As some of you know I tend to watch OL play more than some fans and some things stood out.

We need Sherman getting the majority of the time at tackle to win. Kaiser is a tough kid and works hard but he isn't a good enough athlete. Huskers were beating him regularly with quick double moves at the LOS and he was getting his feet tied up. Sherman still has work to do on his technique but is a much quicker and more agile athlete. He also slides better when the play is outside of him.

Moretti was better than Tonz as well but it looked like he was still trying to overcome some of the impact of the injuries. Keep working him in, if/when he gets back physically he will be a major step up. Could see why they have him at guard right now because he is much more comfortable moving in a straight line than laterally. As he gets healthier that should come back, don't be surprised if he is eventually back to being an outstanding tackle for us.

Frost whined about not having a game to prep for us but it wasn't all one-sided. Fuskers ran a lot of inside blitzes that we didn't look ready for in the first half. Second half we adjusted to them much better and started to take advantage of them. Having some film may have made a big difference in us being ready to handle their pressure.

Not OL related.

We don't have an Oliver in the defensive backfield but are going to be okay. Abrams missed a few plays but looked good in coverage and isn't afraid to get involved. Remember that guys tend to develop under MacIntyre. Witherspoon started out making a lot of mistakes and ended up as a draft choice. I think that by mid-season he will be good and his ceiling is very high. Was more concerned with seeing Fisher get taken advantage of a few times but that may have been related to us not having film as well.

Wigley and Uddofia are still developing as well but will be solid for us, not great but good enough to win with.

Other than the fact that loosing to the Corn because of missed kicks would have really sucked I am also glad for Stefanou that his missed kicks didn't cost us the game. He seems like a good guy. My guess is that he will be money the rest of the year when we need him.

Speaking of kickers going to be interesting what happens next year with Kinney and Loy both in their final year of eligibility and both legitimately wanting to display their skills for the pros. Tough situation, wonder if one transfers.

Last thing. Fusker fans may point to Martinez being out for the last drive and having to go with their "walk-on" back up. He is certainly not the athlete that Martinez is and not the threat to run but he may have actually been a better option for them in that situation. He is a guy in his third year of college football and looking at some of their boards and media a lot of them said that he outplayed the scholarship guy who left and was their best option in a situation that required passing. He also was a walk-on but he isn't some Rudy story. He had FCS interest and offers out of HS.

Rewatching the game right now, and I’m feeling much better about the D-line. O-line not as much but I think they can get better with Sherman in there and then hopefully Moretti down the road. But as far as D-line goes, they were going up against a line averaging 6’4” 322 lbs. That is legit size on their line similar to the size of Wisconsin’s O-line. I’m not saying they are even close to Wisconsin’s talent level BUT after that rough first half, the D-line got more of a push back going and breaking through with a pass rush. No it wasn’t perfect but we also need to remember that we play in the PAC 12. We won’t see another O-line of that size this year aside from Washington. USC is nowhere near that average in terms of weight. I think we need to be much more concerned about the O-line at this point and expect the 2nd half effort to be more representative of conference play than the 1st half. Just my 2 cents! Still feeling the joy from the win Go Buffs!

I agree with everybody that the O and D lines need to improve and that wasn't a great showing.

However, I think it is fair to mention that Nebraska had 4 returning starters including 3 seniors on their O line, and 3 returning starters including 2 seniors and a junior on their D line. And those guys are pretty talented.

Nebraska overall has a veteran team with 15 returning starters and home field, so I think those factors do matter when doing an overall evaluation of the Buffs performance.

Those 3 olinemen are 5th year seniors. They may be learning a new system but they've been working out, taking ped's (vitamins, supplements, whatever), and practicing together for a long time.

We had four upperclassmen starting on the OL yesterday...

Two of the juniors starting yesterday for us have about 20 starts each. Experience is a lame excuse here.
So the lines should be just as effective against highly experienced and talented lines as any other time. Got it.

Frost is a dick. Not only did he give no credit at all to the Buffs, he also threw his own players under the bus. Did anyone else notice, every time he talked about their mistakes or lack of disciplined play, he made sure to go out of his way to deflect any responsibility away from the coaching staff? He would say “ we need to work on xx”, and then every time back up and say” well we have been working on that but we’ll work more”. Not one word about the coaches not having the team ready to play. Even if they don’t really mean it, any decent coach comes out and takes a little responsibility when their team makes a ton of mistakes. Total classless dick bag.

Back