What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

Holy ****. I just realized Mike Leach will get to coach against UT and OU again. Things are looking good!
this is great howie mandel GIF by Saturday Night Live

Best case scenario for CU is a B1G invite.

I don't think adding the Texas leftovers (ideally we do it without Baylor) does much for the league, but I think it helps CU if we're stuck in the Pac. The more games we get in that state, the better off we are.

I do think we're bound to partner with the B1G and ACC in some way, shape, or form on media rights and scheduling as a counter.

SIAP:

As the rest of the power brokers in college athletics monitor the unfolding story of Oklahoma and Texas inching closer to possible membership in the SEC, new Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff told ESPN on Friday that his conference isn't actively seeking new members but is open to discussions with potential candidates.

"I consider the Pac-12 an exclusive club with a high barrier to entry," Kliavkoff said. "We love the schools and teams we have today. We're not actively seeking to poach any teams from any conference, but we'd be foolish not to listen if schools call us."

They added value ten years ago. The Pac12 could’ve used the CTZ ten years ago. This isn’t about cable markets and TV this time. This is about establishing the highest level product going forward. TV markets, regions, etc… already matter significantly less than they did the last time there was realignment, if they matter at all, and in 10-20 years they won’t matter at all. Leagues are positioning for streaming not the cable markets of ten years ago, and the market for streaming is world-wide.

Maybe KU adds value to another power 5 for basketball based on streaming. Outside of that, there’s not a team in the Big 12 that moves the needle for any league.

The PAC needs to add schools, if any exist, that are going to make fans of other schools say, man, I really need to subscribe to the PAC network/channel/stream because there are some great games.

I disagree there as the global fan will just watch the NFL as it's a higher level and far easier to follow. Explaining the nature of college football to an international fan isn't easy and if you are purely looking at the on-field product, the NFL is better than CFB. CFB very much is a niche sport outside the US as it just takes too much of an effort to understand it. And please trust me that I am speaking from experience there.

Where I do agree is that TV markets don't matter anymore and it's all about selling the product, where football wins are the key. Unfortunately, that's where CU falls woefully short.

No ****ing way I want CU to go to B1G !!!!!!!!!!!! We left the mid-worst for good reasons.
The P12 is in deep ****. Arguably the weakest of the P5, they just saw the other weak P5 just get blown up. OU/UT leaving guts the B12.

Now the madcap scramble ensues. If the B1G expands to 16, which I think they will, they could really take a bite out of the P12. Scooping KU and ISU make sense. If they do, the P12 has to take some combo of Okie Lite, KSU, TT, TCU, SMU, UH or bailer to get to 16. None of those move the needle. Sure, they add some big TV markets, but most eyes in those big markets are watching OU, UT, aTm and don't give a rip about SMU, TCU, TT etc.

Even if P12 grabs KU, which really, only adds MBB unless you want at least one team added CU could likely beat regularly in FB, you still aren't adding much. Bottom line, if it is everyone for themselves, the B1G, while a poor cultural fit and crappy roadies, is a better place for CU to land.

The question is, will the B1G want CU? If so, who else do they take with? KU? Maybe. MU? I doubt they leave the land of milk and honey. All the other options of TT, Okie Lite, UH, TCU, SMU, etc. are not going to be options for the B1G because they lack academic prowess, and in some instances, reading skills.

This is bad for the P12 and potentially catastrophic for CU.

If SC or Oregon bails on the P12, might as well get ready to join the Mtn. Weenie in a super conference of midgets.

Best case scenario for CU is a B1G invite.

I don't think adding the Texas leftovers (ideally we do it without Baylor) does much for the league, but I think it helps CU if we're stuck in the Pac. The more games we get in that state, the better off we are.

I do think we're bound to partner with the B1G and ACC in some way, shape, or form on media rights and scheduling as a counter.

B1G would be better than being in a division with UA, ASU, and Utah in addition to four new members.

B1G West: CU, ISU/KU, Nubs, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Northwestern.

Play two of the B1G East every season too.

The P12 is in deep ****. Arguably the weakest of the P5, they just saw the other weak P5 just get blown up. OU/UT leaving guts the B12.

Now the madcap scramble ensues. If the B1G expands to 16, which I think they will, they could really take a bite out of the P12. Scooping KU and ISU make sense. If they do, the P12 has to take some combo of Okie Lite, KSU, TT, TCU, SMU, UH or bailer to get to 16. None of those move the needle. Sure, they add some big TV markets, but most eyes in those big markets are watching OU, UT, aTm and don't give a rip about SMU, TCU, TT etc.

Even if P12 grabs KU, which really, only adds MBB unless you want at least one team added CU could likely beat regularly in FB, you still aren't adding much. Bottom line, if it is everyone for themselves, the B1G, while a poor cultural fit and crappy roadies, is a better place for CU to land.

The question is, will the B1G want CU? If so, who else do they take with? KU? Maybe. MU? I doubt they leave the land of milk and honey. All the other options of TT, Okie Lite, UH, TCU, SMU, etc. are not going to be options for the B1G because they lack academic prowess, and in some instances, reading skills.

If SC or Oregon bails on the P12, might as well get ready to join the Mtn. Weenie in a super conference of midgets.
Gotta think SC and Oregon are very nervous at this point.

Could A&M leave the SEC over this? Probably doesn't happen, but there's nothing wrong with making that phone call.

Just heard McMurphy with Lindahl and Justin Adams on altitude. He thinks the Pac 12 is fine. Probably remains the weakest power conference of the bunch, but theres a seat at the table for this league.

Iowa City, Lincoln, East Lansing, Ann Arbor, Columbus, West Lafayette, Bloomington, Champaign, State College. Not a lot of interesting road trip options in the B1G. And then there’s the issue of us getting the **** beaten out of us on a regular basis. Recruiting would be more difficult without a conference tie in to our historical recruiting areas. We would have more money, but that’s about the only advantage that I see. And also the red polyester factor has to be considered.
Are you ****ing nuts? Ann Arbor is as good if not a better college town than Boulder... and that's saying something.

Just heard McMurphy with Lindahl and Justin Adams on altitude. He thinks the Pac 12 is fine. Probably remains the weakest power conference of the bunch, but theres a seat at the table for this league.
Maybe, but only if the P12 hangs on to all members. Lose an SC, Oregon, UW or fUCLA, or worse yet, two of them, and it is over.

The P12, as currently, constituted, will have a seat at he table, no doubt, it will just be a booster seat. The CFP beagan in 2015. From 2015-2021 the P12 has placed a grand total of two teams, Oregon in 2015 and UW in 2017, in the CFP. The B12 has 4, the ACC 7, ND has 2 appearances, the B1G 5 and the $EC has all the rest 8.

I disagree there as the global fan will just watch the NFL as it's a higher level and far easier to follow. Explaining the nature of college football to an international fan isn't easy and if you are purely looking at the on-field product, the NFL is better than CFB. CFB very much is a niche sport outside the US as it just takes too much of an effort to understand it. And please trust me that I am speaking from experience there.

Where I do agree is that TV markets don't matter anymore and it's all about selling the product, where football wins are the key. Unfortunately, that's where CU falls woefully short.
Oh yeah. CFB will never truly be global. In the past though, if you wanted people to be able to watch your team, you had to force your way into local broadcasting and the best way to do that was to have a team in that regional market. Hence past expansion.

Now though, if you want people to watch your team, all ya gotta do is stream, either on your own or through ESPN, etc…. As the media rights are renegotiated over the next few years it’s not going to matter how many TVs support yourself service. What’s going to matter is the quality of your product and how many subscriptions your product will drive.

General CFB fans will subscribe to a service because of the SEC and B1G. The pac is never going to get to that level. We’re starting too far behind, but we need to be thinking of what needs to be done to get more than just pac school fans to want to watch pac product.

B1G would be better than being in a division with UA, ASU, and Utah in addition to four new members.

B1G West: CU, ISU/KU, Nubs, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Northwestern.

Play two of the B1G East every season too.

Sure-but its probably in the best interest of both leagues to work together when Texas and OU do make this move. This is kind of what I'm talking about-

1. I think we probably need to both be at the same number of members-The B1G could grab KU/ISU if they want, but I don't think they have to do anything. The Pac goes to 14 at a minimum-I don't see a scenario where Texas Tech's not a part of this, and they'd accept an invite from the Pac 12 right now if one came. That gets us into Texas and probably benefits CU because there are a lot of Red Raider alums in Dallas. If I'm GK, I at least try and pitch A&M. They're probably stuck-but the phone call can't hurt.
2. We both drop to 8 league games and play a game against somebody else from the other league-with any games already scheduled (CU-Nebraska, CU-Northwestern, Ohio State-Washington) not being affected.

Meanwhile, Nik is reading this thread, but not posting because…

View attachment 45679
Didn't even know anything was going on until I saw this thread during lunch today. Trying to get caught up.

Funny to me that we had so much talk on AB about the B12 being so great but wanting nothing to do with UT. All of a sudden, everyone in the B12 besides OU & UT is trash.

Iowa City, Lincoln, East Lansing, Ann Arbor, Columbus, West Lafayette, Bloomington, Champaign, State College. Not a lot of interesting road trip options in the B1G. And then there’s the issue of us getting the **** beaten out of us on a regular basis. Recruiting would be more difficult without a conference tie in to our historical recruiting areas. We would have more money, but that’s about the only advantage that I see. And also the red polyester factor has to be considered.

Several things here-

1. The "Oh my god, we won't be able to recruit" argument is not a reason to tell the Big 10 no. Trust RG here-he scheduled SMU, North Texas, Houston, TCU, and Oklahoma State for a reason.
2. Stability is a factor here-if the B1G invites us, we will never have to stress out about conference realignment again.
3. The Nebraska rivalry is a reason to make the move, not a reason not to. We don't have anything close to that in the Pac 12 and probably won't ever at least in my lifetime.

Back