What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

American kids all over the country play soccer, and their parents played soccer as kids. The same isn’t true about hockey.

The cost of entry is super low in soccer - poor kids all over the world can play it. The same isn’t true for hockey.

Everyone I know has been to a soccer game - either as a player when they were kids, or as an adult watching their kids play. I can count on one had the number of people who have attended a hockey game in their lives - that connection matters.

Top European soccer hasn’t been as accessible on TV in America until recently. The same isn’t true about hockey it’s been on TV for years and huge swaths of Americans don’t care.

Professional soccer, particularly in Europe, is a glamour sport, hockey is not. European soccer is filled with handsome, tan, millionaires dating super models and vacationing on mega yachts. Hockey players are disproportionately pasty, white Eastern Europeans who speak little english and have dental problems. Which is more appealing in today’s social media landscape to attract youth to the sport?

View attachment 45694
Or this…
View attachment 45695
Ronaldo has over 300M IG followers, the NHL MVP (McDavid) has less than a million. One of the best players in the NHL for the past decade, Sydney Crosby, doesn’t even have an IG account. That has an impact. (And yes I realize that gif is Crosby, not McDavid).
I’m sorry. Hockey players are hotter. 😂

Not sure if legit.

🤮🤮🤮

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Major college football has been professional football’s minor league system for at least three decades.
Not really.

Where we are going is to the lowest common denominator.

I keep hearing academics don't matter any more. That the quality of the university is irrelevant. All that matters is how well positioned that school is to attract entertainment revenue for broadcasters and sponsors.

I became a college sports fan because I love the other part of things just as much. Young people getting opportunities to get education, many the first in their families to go to college. Seeing them mature. Knowing that most won't be able to make a career of it so it's mostly about the other stuff.

Also, because of other missions, including football funding a ton of other varsity sports, that it was about all those opportunities and stories.

Now it's starting to feel like we can fvck all that. I'm trying to find a justification for the top of college football to make players pass admissions, enroll at the university and go to class. Just hire them as mercenaries for the university sponsored club team and cut out all the bull****.

ESPN would like that. They love coaches who cheat, colleges that keep players eligible and sweep scandals under the rug, and college towns/states where the police and AG check with the coach before deciding on how to proceed with a legal matter involving players. Because there's nothing worse than players who are performing assets not being able to make them money.

I thought players were being treated unfairly and deserved a slice of the pie, freedom to transfer, etc. I believe that colleges could do this without compromising the mission. Especially since we're talking about very little money within the scope of a major university where endowments are over a billion dollars and an extra 10 million in sports media dollars or investment in athletes is almost insignificant. Not like professor salaries are higher at the schools with the richest athletic departments. So this was always about enriching the university community in ways other than the direct sports entertainment revenue.

Anyway, this is going down a path that's making me reevaluate. I am entertained by sports. Maybe I need to leave it at that and stop caring who wins the same way I enjoy my computer but don't root for Apple to win market share.

at this point, i am just hoping we have a spot in one of the super conferences. we have very little football leverage and are a part of a conference with less than ideal leverage.

we aren't driving this train. we bought the ticket and now have to take the ride. this has been a self inflicted hobbling of the football program dating back to the end of GB. poor decisions have long term consequences. and the move to the p12 is a cherry on top of the **** sundae we have made. the conference cut a horrible tv deal and let an idiot run the conference at a time when the league needed experience, expertise, and vision. NIL and the national recruiting of the power teams are just extra flames on our death pyre.

hell, usc has EVERYTHING we don't have and even they are struggling to stay relevant as a national power.

all we can do is hope and wait and pray someone remembers what we once built and believes we may be able to do it, at least enough to be interesting, again.

College athletics is an advertising expense for colleges these days I think. When making my college choice, the local sports scene did have an impact on that choice. Anyone who says athletics didn't impact their decision on what college to attend is probably kidding themselves.

@Buffnik: I get what you are saying and that is why I subscribe to ESPN+ because a lot of non-FBS conferences have their sports on that platform and you can watch anytime. Next month, I'm going to start watching European soccer beginning with the German Bundesliga (Dortmound & Lepiz to be specific). I'm going to check out some non-FBS conferences for basketball and then lacrosse in the spring in addition to NHL hockey. I'm carrying myself like a free-agent fan this upcoming athletic season.

CTE isn’t going to have any effect on the future of the NFL. Even if/though participation remains flat or goes down, there won’t be a noticeable affect on the talent pipeline going to CFB and therefore the NFL.
With what we’ve learned about football and head trauma, there just no reason a university should field a football team. Yet here we are.

Could be worse..P12 would be inviting CSU, BYU, Boise State, and UNM to the conference.
Really? Colorado Utah New Mexico and Idaho are vastly more redeeming than the old Big 8 leftovers. They are states that are all growing as well. Texas I get but Kansas Iowa and Oklahoma are the places some of our friends are from and have family they dont intend to visit unless a relative dies.

With what we’ve learned about football and head trauma, there just no reason a university should field a football team. Yet here we are.
Or especially a high school. Maybe the future of the sport is the NFL funding developmental clubs unaffiliated with academic institutions like we see in other countries. We've already seen in a lot of sports in the US that the path to a future in a sport is a club/ traveling team rather than your school's team.

So this fanbase is bitching about not being able to recruiting if we're in the Big 10 while also not wanting two schools in one of our recruiting footprints in this league? (You can easily drive from DFW to Stillwater and back in a day-I've done that drive both ways numerous times).

JFC. There is no ****ing way that adding Texas Tech and Oklahoma State to this league is not good for Colorado football.

CU will land just fine. its going to be different but ok. all of the existing p5 teams are going be better off. that is the selling point. all will make more money. and the playoffs will generate huge dollars with a chance for the g5s to play in.

there will be some kind of a western 16 team super conference that resembles much of the p12 now. i would expect we're going to get pushed into an eastern division of the pac super conf with say ua, asu, utah, texas, oklahome, tech, baylor and us or something. it would kinda suck to be in that division but also kinda awesome. that is a ****ing meaningful division even if we have to put up with f-baylor. the western division will be the old pac 8 so they will dig it.

this is all going to happen because the math works and the money is huge.

my one hope from it all is that "amateur" football players get something more out of it than they do now.

at this point, i am just hoping we have a spot in one of the super conferences. we have very little football leverage and are a part of a conference with less than ideal leverage.

we aren't driving this train. we bought the ticket and now have to take the ride. this has been a self inflicted hobbling of the football program dating back to the end of GB. poor decisions have long term consequences. and the move to the p12 is a cherry on top of the **** sundae we have made. the conference cut a horrible tv deal and let an idiot run the conference at a time when the league needed experience, expertise, and vision. NIL and the national recruiting of the power teams are just extra flames on our death pyre.

hell, usc has EVERYTHING we don't have and even they are struggling to stay relevant as a national power.

all we can do is hope and wait and pray someone remembers what we once built and believes we may be able to do it, at least enough to be interesting, again.

Damn, what a difference in attitude a few months makes.

I became a college sports fan because I love the other part of things just as much. Young people getting opportunities to get education, many the first in their families to go to college. Seeing them mature. Knowing that most won't be able to make a career of it so it's mostly about the other stuff.

Also, because of other missions, including football funding a ton of other varsity sports, that it was about all those opportunities and stories.

Now it's starting to feel like we can fvck all that. I'm trying to find a justification for the top of college football to make players pass admissions, enroll at the university and go to class. Just hire them as mercenaries for the university sponsored club team and cut out all the bull****.

ESPN would like that. They love coaches who cheat, colleges that keep players eligible and sweep scandals under the rug, and college towns/states where the police and AG check with the coach before deciding on how to proceed with a legal matter involving players. Because there's nothing worse than players who are performing assets not being able to make them money.
This. There was drama and tradition once. There was a time when it all felt special and magical. It doesnt anymore. Journeyman walkons dont make it anymore. Money is everywhere, ruining it. Money is consolidating in a few places and leaving a lot of schools left out. And Kids are being left with life shortening injuries.

I will say this, football/tackling/hitting is taught WAY different than it was before the whole CTE issue came to light. The game is played and practiced in such a way that it really does limit the constant brutal impacts that were prevalent in the early 00’s and before. That’s not to say it isn’t still a violent sport, but the repeated and constant contact that was attributable to many of these CTE issues has largely been eliminated from the game (in addition to better medical protocols). Pair that with the helmets being much better today, and I’m not convinced that it is substantially more dangerous than several other sports. Still, that stigma lingers.

Really? Colorado Utah New Mexico and Idaho are vastly more redeeming than the old Big 8 leftovers. They are states that are all growing as well. Texas I get but Kansas Iowa and Oklahoma are the places some of our friends are from and have family they dont intend to visit unless a relative dies.

I don't mind CU being in a conference like that and there would be quite some upside for basketball in that case. I think the issue is that college athletic conferences might be more focused on the short term of things than the long term which was the popular thing to do last realignment.

Most ridiculous thing about all of this: UT's willing to throw away nearly $100m in Longhorn network money because they've screwed 2 football hires (Charlie Strong and Tom Herman) and a men's basketball hire (Shaka Smart) up. Maybe shut the **** up until you start winning championships, Bevo?

So this fanbase is bitching about not being able to recruiting if we're in the Big 10 while also not wanting two schools in one of our recruiting footprints in this league? (You can easily drive from DFW to Stillwater and back in a day-I've done that drive both ways numerous times).

JFC. There is no ****ing way that adding Texas Tech and Oklahoma State to this league is not good for Colorado football.
This is true. OSU and TTU would help recruiting and expand viewership. I'd expect these additions would at least pay for themselves in added revenue while making the conference more competitive.

Problem is, it doesn't close the gap enough to keep USC and others happy. So I think a deal with the B1G is the path forward. Usually I think the speculation is fun to talk about while knowing the final changes will be more modest. This time I think we are headed for seismic changes. From what I'm reading, the ACC is more worried than anyone outside of the Big 12.

here is where the football players come from.

adding Texas enlarges the pool a bit for the Pac12 but the recruiting action is all in the south.

If UT joins the SEC they likely lockup all the valuable talent in the lonestar state. Since the old Big12 fell apart OU and UT havent exactly been lighting it up either. Right now my impression is OU and UT are 2nd choice for kids over playing at an SEC school. They have a SWC problem again. And that recruiting competition is why A&M doesnt want them joining the SEC.

Last edited:
Most ridiculous thing about all of this: UT's willing to throw away nearly $100m in Longhorn network money because they've screwed 2 football hires (Charlie Strong and Tom Herman) and a men's basketball hire (Shaka Smart) up. Maybe shut the **** up until you start winning championships, Bevo?
Ego wins the day. The move doesn't even make sense for Texas. Except that aTm broke up with them, said it was an abusive relationship, and is now more successful, more popular and wealthier than them. So UT has to move into their new situation and put them back in their place. That's mostly what this is - rich boosters getting fed up with rival rich boosters getting over on them.

Ego wins the day. The move doesn't even make sense for Texas. Except that aTm broke up with them, said it was an abusive relationship, and is now more successful, more popular and wealthier than them. So UT has to move into their new situation and put them back in their place. That's mostly what this is - rich boosters getting fed up with rival rich boosters getting over on them.

If UT joins the SEC, I hope they get kicked down a notch like Nebraska did in the B1G.

That is some next level jaded **** right there. 🤣🤣🤣

Lets be honest: UT ****ed the Big 8. Then they ****ed the Big12 slowly. ****ed each conference member. ****ed themselves and didnt care when CU NU MU and A&M left. ****ed Larry Scott by not coming. Which ****ed the Pac 12 on day 1. Even if they had joined we still wouldn't be getting SEC or B1G money. Why? because westerners are not as interested in the game as much as their Frozen-Tundra-Abandondoned-Factory-Landia and Shvetty-Ballz-Confederacia cousins are

here is where the football players come from.

adding Texas enlarges the pool a bit for the Pac12 but the recruiting action is all in the south.

If UT joins the SEC they likely lockup all the valuable talent in the lonestar state. Since the old Big12 fell apart OU and UT havent exactly been lighting it up either. Right now my impression is OU and UT are 2nd choice for kids over playing at an SEC school. They have a SWC problem again. And that recruiting competition is why A&M doesnt want them joining the SEC.

I don't give a **** about this league. It won't ever recover from the damage Champagne Larry did to it. I care about what's good for this program-and that's one of two things. One, joining the Big 10. Two, the Pac 12 taking in some of the Big 12's leftovers.

I still struggle with TTU. Sure they are in Texas, but what else?
3rd largest alumni base in Texas, concentrated in DFW metroplex. Dwarfs the alums of TCU, Baylor and SMU. School's almost as big as those 3 combined. Houston's even a little bigger.

3rd largest alumni base in Texas, concentrated in DFW metroplex. Dwarfs the alums of TCU, Baylor and SMU. School's almost as big as those 3 combined. Houston's even a little bigger.

It has been a real long time since TT and OSU were outside the shadow of their bigger rivals such as UT & OU in that regard. Perhaps there is room for those two to grow if they are on their own in different conferences from their main instate rival.

I don't give a **** about this league. It won't ever recover from the damage Champagne Larry did to it. I care about what's good for this program-and that's one of two things. One, joining the Big 10. Two, the Pac 12 taking in some of the Big 12's leftovers.
The question is are we willing to cheat? If so how much? Is CU going to have some integrity (admissions, behavior, team rules) or are we willing to risk being a (Insert name here) in the name of a few wins? I cant say that there is cheating in the Big Ten. But Im sure there is in the SEC. And the SEC is where the players are According to the tweet I posted. If the SEC conditions those players to a such a low bar cheating is the only way you attract them and keep them for the very top prospects.

Last edited:
Back