1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Officiating Collaboration

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by duaneallman8, Jun 7, 2013.

1. duaneallman8

duaneallman8 Member

I just saw an Associated Press report that the PAC-12 is teaming with MWC officials for b-ball. MWC official Bobby Dibler is reported to be in charge of the program.

WCC, BWC and WAC will all participate in the officials training programs as well.

2. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

3. mattrob

mattrob Club Member Club Member

I like the idea. Coordinating between the two conferences probably means fewer refs needed overall, and improves the quality of officiating. It also sets up a little bit of a feeder program for the PAC 12 and MWC, with the three smaller conferences taking part in the training.

4. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

One advantage I could see is that with a bigger pool of officials each team gets individual officials less often. Hopefully this will result in fewer "rep" calls based on officials familiarity with teams and players and more based on the actual play on the floor. It could also reduce the impact of antagonisms or friendships that build up between coaches and refs.

Hopefully the improved training and interchange of officials may result in a little more consistent officiating as well, and I do like the idea of the feeder conferences.

5. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Seems like a move that accomplishes little in actually improving the quality of officiating, but can be touted as such. Larry Scott comes off pretty clueless on the entire officiating issue IMO.

6. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Wasn't Bobby Dibler that guy in "Boogie Nights?"