What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Officiating Collaboration

I just saw an Associated Press report that the PAC-12 is teaming with MWC officials for b-ball. MWC official Bobby Dibler is reported to be in charge of the program.

WCC, BWC and WAC will all participate in the officials training programs as well.

I like the idea. Coordinating between the two conferences probably means fewer refs needed overall, and improves the quality of officiating. It also sets up a little bit of a feeder program for the PAC 12 and MWC, with the three smaller conferences taking part in the training.

One advantage I could see is that with a bigger pool of officials each team gets individual officials less often. Hopefully this will result in fewer "rep" calls based on officials familiarity with teams and players and more based on the actual play on the floor. It could also reduce the impact of antagonisms or friendships that build up between coaches and refs.

Hopefully the improved training and interchange of officials may result in a little more consistent officiating as well, and I do like the idea of the feeder conferences.

Seems like a move that accomplishes little in actually improving the quality of officiating, but can be touted as such. Larry Scott comes off pretty clueless on the entire officiating issue IMO.

Back