What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OL recruiting issues..

AT this stage every kid in the recruiting process are prospects at best. We have seen the likes Marquisa highly ranked that turn out to be total burst. We have seen the likes of Mark Ingram a 3star RB 53rd ranked RB turn out to be heisman winner. I believe we can flip Baylis who is a prospect, who i really like, i believe we are going to get some good players before it is all set and done. But if we don't get a recruit straight out of highschool, it is not the end of the world, because you can always get good TE through the JUCO ranks or via the transfer method. There are tons of guys we can get and develop, heck we can get an athlete or a big WR that has good recieving skills that we can develop into a great TE, or you can even convert an undersized OL or DE into a blocking TE . At other positions you can't get away with that, but at the TE positon, there are alot of possiblities. That is why i said it is no big deal at this stage.

First of all, Ingram was rated a 4*/top 250 player by rivals and a top 150 player by ESPN. Just because Scout underrated him, does not mean he was an unknown. You need to stop acting like the every 4* and 5* player is a bust.

As far as TE goes, we should not have to be worrying about converting guys from other positions. We should be able to land natural TE prospects while occasionally converting athletes to the position. I really do not think it is a coincidence that the last time we had some solid consecutive winning seasons, we had TE depth charts that included guys like Daniel Graham, Quinn Sypniewski, and Joel Klopenstein. All three were highly regarded out of high school and knew the position.

I wanted Bart Houston or Dillon, so am estactic that we got Dillion. Flores is combo OL he can play Tackle or Guard, guys that are valuable on a football team, i really want him at CU, and he is still growing. He is far from the finished article, with good coaching from Marshall, i believe Flores can surprise alot of people and yet again prove that national rating systems sometimes are bullocks. Baylis is a red zone weapon as a pass catching TE, won't be required to do a lot of blocking. A miss match, the playmaker that we need. Kozan is also still growing but at 295 pounds that is good size for a freshman, smart kid, high character guy that will only get better with good coaching. Williams is another guy i like. Jordan Roos a 2 star rated guy, is probably the guy i like the most among the guys that we are after. I believe we can scout for playmakers from the JUCO ranks and through transfers. Cam Newton, Fairley, Terrance Cody are just a few playmakers that came through the JUCO ranks.

You are trying to compare us and SEC schools here, which does not work. If we could anyone and everyone into school like Bama or Auburn, I would totally agree with you that we could scour the JUCO ranks year in and year out. But anyone who has followed this program long enough knows that it is always a struggle to get JUCO transfers in.

As far as in-state prospects this year, I mostly agree with Nik, but I will say that I think missing on O'Connor in addition to Thurston and Callahan is going to end up being a mistake. Baylis will be in play, as will Callahan, but I think the ship has sailed on the other two.

Finally, Nik has a solid analysis on the type of offensive linemen that Marshall wants, but there has to be a bit of leeway to allow really good prospects like O'Connor to be in the picture. Also, given that analysis of offensive linemen prospects that fit Marshall's system, I wonder what is up with our hesitation in offering Cedrick Poutasi out of Las Vegas. I think he might be better than any of the in-state prospects.

BB the likes of Antonio GAtes, Tony Gates, julius Thomas(Denver Broncos pick) were not natural TE coming out of Highschool there were athletes. Even Ryan Mcdaniel who has an offer from us could move from RB/FB to MLB. George Hypolite was a RB became a great DT for CU. The point i am trying to make is that there are multiple ways of getting the job done. You can recruit a natural TE or you can recruit an athlete that can be coached up to become a very good TE. I kind of prefer the athlete route, ex Basketball players.

BB the likes of Antonio GAtes, Tony Gates, julius Thomas(Denver Broncos pick) were not natural TE coming out of Highschool there were athletes. Even Ryan Mcdaniel who has an offer from us could move from RB/FB to MLB. George Hypolite was a RB became a great DT for CU. The point i am trying to make is that there are multiple ways of getting the job done. You can recruit a natural TE or you can recruit an athlete that can be coached up to become a very good TE. I kind of prefer the athlete route, ex Basketball players.

You realize Ryan McDaniel already plays on both sides of the ball in high school, right?

Yes, there are multiple ways in getting the job done, but why are you consistently picking the outliers to fit your argument? All I am saying is look at the guys the coaching staff has offered in this class. They are mostly natural TEs.

BTW, Tony Gonzalez was a really good high school TE.

All good people, there's still 2*s and 3*s to be had. Talent is way overrated, the coaches can just create Antonio Gates out of thin air.

There's definitely something wrong when a staff that's been in place for 8 months is losing kids to coaches that have been recruiting those kids for 3-4 years now, in some cases.

There's definitely something wrong when a staff that's been in place for 8 months is losing kids to coaches that have been recruiting those kids for 3-4 years now, in some cases.
We know BK, EB and Kanavis can recruit. The jury is out on Marshall. But I'm willing to bet that coach Marshall's recruiting will pick up once his coaching abilities show on the field this year.

Maybe I missed the sarcasm font.

Last edited:

I don't think you understand the dynamics of the vast majority of high school football teams. The tight end is an afterthought at most schools. Because of the way high school football is played, most teams naturally concentrate on running the ball. Those that even try to develop a passing game start with receivers first. Tight Ends are 99% blockers in high school. They're usually undersized guys who are too slow to play WR, but not big enough to play OL. Typically, they're linebackers when the defense is on the field. The long and short of it is that it's extremely unusual to find players that have developed as tight ends in high school. When you find one, you need to get him if you can. They're extremely rare.

This is a common refrain on any board but it is not logical, San Diego kids used to go to Colorado State in droves and some to Colorado. There will always be players who want to leave home,it is the way things are. Also SDSU is on the upswing,they have a lot of talent now and a good coach. When they win they draw over 40,000,last year they went from 20,000 to 35,000. They are gong to win the next three years they are loaded by MWC standards.

There are also guys who want to play right away and the more competition the less likely that is to happen SDSU staff is pretty good they are getting a lot athletes they would not get by letting them try out at the position they want with the understanding, if they are not in the three deep then they switch. They have beaten Arizona out many times as well as ASU a few and WAZZU OSU,so it is just part of the game. Expect the Aztecs to be right there with Boise State in two years and win nine plus games the next two years.
San Diego is a real nice place to live,thier facilities are top notch. There are some kids who would rather have a legit chance to start as a frosh or red shirt frosh at a MWC school than wait until they are Juniors for playing time at a PAC Ten school. Aztec fans grouse about losing local recruits,but there it is again some kids want to leave home. On a ASU board I read someone asked why would a kid want to choose San Diego State over ASU, some wag answered "August through October".

This is a common refrain on any board but it is not logical, San Diego kids used to go to Colorado State in droves and some to Colorado. There will always be players who want to leave home,it is the way things are. Also SDSU is on the upswing,they have a lot of talent now and a good coach. When they win they draw over 40,000,last year they went from 20,000 to 35,000. They are gong to win the next three years they are loaded by MWC standards.

There are also guys who want to play right away and the more competition the less likely that is to happen SDSU staff is pretty good they are getting a lot athletes they would not get by letting them try out at the position they want with the understanding, if they are not in the three deep then they switch. They have beaten Arizona out many times as well as ASU a few and WAZZU OSU,so it is just part of the game. Expect the Aztecs to be right there with Boise State in two years and win nine plus games the next two years.
San Diego is a real nice place to live,thier facilities are top notch. There are some kids who would rather have a legit chance to start as a frosh or red shirt frosh at a MWC school than wait until they are Juniors for playing time at a PAC Ten school. Aztec fans grouse about losing local recruits,but there it is again some kids want to leave home. On a ASU board I read someone asked why would a kid want to choose San Diego State over ASU, some wag answered "August through October".

Totally agree. Every kid has his individual criteria for his decision. While "BCS Conference" is #1 in general for attracting prospects, factors such as "Close to Home", "Academics", "Facilities", "Current Prestige", "Early Playing Time", "Coaches", "Nice Location", "Fan Support", "Religious Affiliation", etc., etc., also play into it. SDSU is one of the best-positioned non-BCS programs to get good players. In the top group with programs like BYU, Boise State, UCF, Houston, SMU and Fresno State and it's one of the most sustainable over a long timeline.

That said, SDSU will always be a significant underdog for San Diego area recruits when it is going up against Pac-12 programs, especially those that have been notching winning seasons in recent years. They'll get their share though.

Welcome aboard, thor.

Back